Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I hope there is some discussion at Marvel to make an omnibus or two of your Avengers run, Mr. Stern.

The first issue that I ever read of Avengers was issue 284, part of the Assault On Olympus storyline. Very fond memories and I have gone back and bought all the issues of the run. It is very good stuff.
    One cool thing is that after The Legacy of Thanos is released this summer, nearly the entirity of Roger's run on Avengers will be back in print. You'll have:

Absolute Vision, vol. 1-2
    The Legacy of Thanos
    The Once and Future Knag
    Under Siege
    Assault on Olympus
    Heavy Metal

I'm really happy that I'll have all of these on my bookshelf to re-read anytime I want.

Geez, this is too hard. I guess I'll go with his Avengers run, for I'm a huge fan of them, and Stern's run is the definitive for me.
    However, I loved his Starman (Will Payton), and I can't leave off his Dr Strange, his Power of the Atom, his Superman, his Spider-Man, his Captain America, etc... Stern is one of the few names in the industry that might actually get me to buy anything soley because he's writing it. John Ostrander would be another.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    One cool thing is that after The Legacy of Thanos is released this summer, nearly the entirity of Roger's run on Avengers will be back in print. You'll have:

Absolute Vision, vol. 1-2
    The Legacy of Thanos
    The Once and Future Kang
    Under Siege
    Assault on Olympus
    Heavy Metal

I'm really happy that I'll have all of these on my bookshelf to re-read anytime I want.
    If you look around, you can probably still find a copy of The Trial of Yellowjacket, which starts my run.

(Oh, and Heavy Metal doesn't really count. Though I had plotted the first two issues in that collection before I was fired from the series, the editting and scripting took things in a very different direction.)

-- Uncle Rog
    I am not on MySpace. I am not on Facebook. I am not LinkedIn. I do not "Tweet." But I do have an Author's Page.

Avengers - He was just the perfect Avengers writer, and should have had a Claremont sized run on the series! When Buscema and Palmer came onto this series, an already great book joined the rare elite class.

Amazing Spider-Man - Stern and John Romita Jr. put out one great Spidey comic every month. So did the team that replaced them and the team that replaced the team that replaced them, or this run would probably stand out as much as his Avengers run does.

Captain America - His run on Cap with Byrne was far too short, or it would have went down in history.

I should probably mention these upcoming books ...

AVENGERS BY KURT BUSIEK & GEORGE PEREZ OMNIBUS VOLUME ONE

61UK6-WXTwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Written by KURT BUSIEK, MARK WAID, JOE EDKIN, JOHN OSTRANDER, ROGER STERN, JOHN FRANCIS MOORE & JERRY ORDWAY

Penciled by GEORGE PEREZ, SEAN CHEN, ANDY KUBERT, DEREC AUCOIN, CARLOS PACHECO, LEONARDO MANCO, JERRY ORDWAY & STUART IMMONEN

Cover by GEORGE PEREZ

Fan-favorite creators Kurt Busiek and George Pérez craft a new era for Earth’s Mightiest Heroes! The Avengers have always defended humanity against the forces of evil. When duty calls, these legendary champions answer, fighting valiantly for justice. But as the Avengers re-form in the wake of a life-changing event, they must face an array of foes like no other: Morgan Le Fay, the Squadron Supreme, the Kree, the Legion of the Unliving, the Thunderbolts, the Wrecking Crew…not to mention facing Kang and Immortus in the Destiny War! But when the merciless Ultron attacks, wiping out an entire nation in his hatred for mankind, the Avengers must live up to their name — if they can!

Collecting: AVENGERS (1998) #1-23, #0 and #1 ROUGH CUT; IRON MAN (1998) #7; CAPTAIN AMERICA (1998) #8; QUICKSILVER #10; AVENGERS ANNUAL ’98-’99; and AVENGERS FOREVER #1-12.

1184 PGS./Rated T …$125
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9288-6
    Trim size: oversized

ON-SALE: March 4, 2015

FINAL ORDER CUT-OFF DATE: November 17, 2014

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPERMAN: THE POWER WITHIN
    31aDGUsZNvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Written by ROGER STERN & WILLIAM MESSNER-LOEBS
    Art by CURT SWAN, JOHN BEATTY, MURPHY ANDERSON and DENNIS JANKE
    Cover by BRENT ANDERSON

When Superman saves an innocent man from being killed, he discovers two disturbing facts: 1) the man he saved is part of a cult that worships the Man of Steel, and 2) the man's would-be killer is part of another faction dedicated to wiping them out! Even worse, both groups are gaining super-powers due to a mysterious, space-born source that Superman must discover before it is too late! Plus: When a young man gains superhuman powers, he must quickly learn to use them to protect his sister from assassins ... and to deal with a certain Man of Steel ... all in the classic three-part Sinbad Contract!

Collecting stories -- drawn by the great Curt Swan -- from ACTION COMICS WEEKLY #601-641. Plus, SUPERMAN #48, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #471, and ACTION COMICS #658.

Trade Paperback - 176 pg, FC, $16.99 US
    ON-SALE: January 7, 2015

(I haven't yet been able to find the FINAL ORDER CUT-OFF DATE for the latter book, but Westfield Comics has an article about it over here.)
    I am not on MySpace. I am not on Facebook. I am not LinkedIn. I do not "Tweet." But I do have an Author's Page.

His Avengers run is great. Of course Under Siege, but its aftermath with the wrath of Zeus, as well as Absolute Vision and I really enjoyed the Captain Marvel stuck in the Andromeda galaxy plot, though it unfortunately got scuttled by the Beyonder's appearance (gotta love those Secret Wars 2 crossovers!). I like his Amazing Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk runs, too. It sounds like I need to pick up his Captain America and Dr. Strange stuff, also.

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    His Avengers run is great. Of course Under Siege, but its aftermath with the wrath of Zeus, as well as Absolute Vision and I really enjoyed the Captain Marvel stuck in the Andromeda galaxy plot, though it unfortunately got scuttled by the Beyonder's appearance (gotta love those Secret Wars 2 crossovers!). I like his Amazing Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk runs, too. It sounds like I need to pick up his Captain America and Dr. Strange stuff, also.
    Here are the most recent collections:

Captain America Epic Collection, Vol. 9, No. 1: Dawn's Early Light

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment

Awesome. Thanks. The Dr. Strange Dr. Doom TPB looks really interesting!

Awesome. Thanks. The Dr. Strange Dr. Doom TPB looks really interesting!
    You might want to pick that one up soon. I'm told that it's about to go out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Stern View Post
    You might want to pick that one up soon. I'm told that it's about to go out of print.
    Again? Marvel sure likes to keep their comics in print.
    BB

Argh. Thanks. Maybe it won't wait till Christmas.

Fantastic Member

What would be really nice is one more Avengers Epic collection, reprinting issues 262-277. This could replace the OOP "Once and Future Kang" and "Under Siege". I cant seem to find a decent copy of "Under Siege" anywhere for a reasonable price. What would be even nicer is if Marvel would start printing more than just enough copies to prop up the short leg of a table.
    Last edited by Bri; 10-17-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Argh. Thanks. Maybe it won't wait till Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    What would be really nice is one more Avengers Epic collection, reprinting issues 262-277. This could replace the OOP "Once and Future Kang" and "Under Siege". I cant seem to find a decent copy of "Under Siege" anywhere for a reasonable price. What would be even nicer is if Marvel would start printing more than just enough copies to prop up the short leg of a table.
    Sorry. I don't have any control over that.

Fantastic Member

Sorry. I don't have any control over that.
    I would like to say thank you To Mr. Stern for all the well written and entertaining comics he has written over the years. I realize the print-runs are set by Marvel. It seems to me they are depriving themselves of profits by not producing enough copies to meet the continuing demand, which is a very strange thing for a corporation to do.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Have you tried finding a copy of this edition http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=19867240?

I realize it's currently out of stock on that site, but they did have it very recently. I also come across copies on eBay quite frequently, for less than cover price. Amazon Marketplace also has it available used, if you aren't opposed to remainder marks.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES