Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default X-POSITION: John Layman Signs Off From "Cyclops"

With the series headed toward its intergalactic conclusion, the "Cyclops" writer answers your questions about the teenage X-Man's final issues.

Full article here.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

LOL at Bobby looking like the FEELS meme guy
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Neat. And don't think I didn't see that Chew plugin.

Just for that, Imma go buy the first 3 vols.

And Bobby makes little young Cyclops out of snow. Thinking he missed him more than Jean did. And someone needs hug.

BANNED

I think he should have recommended him to take X Factor V1 with the inferno hardcover

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    I think he should have recommended him to take X Factor V1 with the inferno hardcover
    I see what ya did there...Tyke could've used that as recon material on how to defeat demon possessed psychos thus furthering his knowledge of the supernatural, thus knowing how to combat them better.

Oh and there's some cliff-notes on some kid named Nathan. Probably important.

Thank you, Mr. Layman. Thank you and Mr. Rucka for making Cyclops' solo series a surprising shot of awesome at a time when the X-books needed it. Love how he plugged Chew into some of his answers. That's how you know a man is passionate about his work. He and Rucka did all the right things, capturing the best traits of Cyclops. This is a Cyclops who hasn't been burdened by the mistakes he made with Madelyne Pryor, Jean Grey, or Professor Xavier. This is a Cyclops trying to be that lovable boy scout he started off as. And somehow he found a way to succeed. It's very refreshing, especially given how polarizing Cyclops has been among fans for the past decade or so. It's sad this run has to end. And if O5 Cyclops goes back to the past, I hope it does leave a lasting impression on his adult self. He needs it and so do the X-men.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

In honor of the end coming soon, let us all remember the newest and most dangerous space pirate to grace the dark cosmos:

I loved the book, this sucks. *pouts*

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

getting that pretty space girl was too corny for words.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    getting that pretty space girl was too corny for words.
    Somehow the fact that she wants him dead totally makes up for it

Fantastic Member

While I think Layman is a talented writer who got the short end of the stick by coming on after Rucka, being given a mediocre artist, and having to end his run in a crossover... I think the bigger issue is that (a) Rucka shouldn't have taken on the gig if he wasn't going to commit to it for a reasonable number of issues and (b) Marvel and Rucka should have found a clean way to end it instead of passing it off to another writer. The main draw to the series for me was Rucka and his very personal take on fatherhood and how that relates to teen Scott.

To me, Layman did not nail that at all in his arc, (and judging by his response, would also rather write Scott on Earth anyway), and the series was significantly weaker for it, even before this rather ridiculous Black Vortex crossover.

Incredible Member

I'm gonna miss space adventure kid and his pirate dad. I guess now it's back to emotionally handicapped, struggling leader of the 05.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    The main draw to the series for me was Rucka and his very personal take on fatherhood and how that relates to teen Scott.

To me, Layman did not nail that at all in his arc, (and judging by his response, would also rather write Scott on Earth anyway), and the series was significantly weaker for it, even before this rather ridiculous Black Vortex crossover.
    While I liked this second arc, I agree that it was not as great as the first one.
    Rucka's take on the father/son relationship was layered. Corsair trying to be the father he could not be, his feelings of guilt; or Scott who is happy to be with his dad and at the same time angry that he abandoned him; his fear to lose his father again... It was a second chance for them to be a family, and they sometimes struggled to earn this chance. Issue 3 was a perfect example : not action heavy (they crashed, that's all), but significant in its development of the characters.
    In Layman's issues, it still is a father/son adventure, but the relationship loses its complexity IMO.

Also, it is sad we barely saw the other Starjammers. And that the Black Vortex seems to rob the series of a conclusion. If the O5 go back to the past, I hope one book shows Tyke and Corsair having to say goodbye to each other again. Would make a great issue (especially if Dauterman returned to draw it)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    While I think Layman is a talented writer who got the short end of the stick by coming on after Rucka, being given a mediocre artist, and having to end his run in a crossover... I think the bigger issue is that (a) Rucka shouldn't have taken on the gig if he wasn't going to commit to it for a reasonable number of issues and (b) Marvel and Rucka should have found a clean way to end it instead of passing it off to another writer. The main draw to the series for me was Rucka and his very personal take on fatherhood and how that relates to teen Scott.

Rucka left because of something that happened with his own father after he started writing, no? I can't fault him for leaving if that was the case. Although, continuing the book may have helped him deal with his own problems and it probably would have made a nice tribute.