Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Is It Time For a New Marvel Video Game? What Storyline?

I've recently been playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, and I was wondering if folks would be interested in seeing a third installment? If so, which storyline and characters? If not, why?

Hmmm... my first thought was actually Secret Wars. That might be kinda fun in an old school kinda way.

If they did one, my preference would be for an original story. Whenever they try to adapt a comic storyline, it winds up being bad.

The first X-Men Legends had an original storyline, and it was a really cool story. The second one adapted Age of Apocalypse, and felt weak.

The first Ultimate Alliance had an original story, and it was a great one. The second one tried to adapt Civil War, and just fell really, really flat to me.

So the lesson they should take from this is that the stories are better when they're not trying to adapt some big event. Let the game writers tell their own story, one that we haven't seen before.

In terms of characters, I do kinda want to see if Kitty Pryde could be done effectively. She'd be a really, really tough one to do well, but I'd like to see them try. Plus, I just really, really like Kitty.

I'd like a Third-Person shooter game with The Winter Soldier, with the added depth that his left hand is cybernetic, which will change the game play more than a standard FPS/TPS.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    If they did one, my preference would be for an original story. Whenever they try to adapt a comic storyline, it winds up being bad.

The first X-Men Legends had an original storyline, and it was a really cool story. The second one adapted Age of Apocalypse, and felt weak.

The first Ultimate Alliance had an original story, and it was a great one. The second one tried to adapt Civil War, and just fell really, really flat to me.

So the lesson they should take from this is that the stories are better when they're not trying to adapt some big event. Let the game writers tell their own story, one that we haven't seen before.

In terms of characters, I do kinda want to see if Kitty Pryde could be done effectively. She'd be a really, really tough one to do well, but I'd like to see them try. Plus, I just really, really like Kitty.
    Interesting. While UA2 was my least favorite of the games (and X-Men Legends my favorite), I liked the story a whole lot more than Civil War.

As for characters, I'd like to see Wonderman or Blue Marvel. Kitty Pryde could be pretty fun, especially because all of those games are super big on robotic enemies. I'd love to see Loki or Dr. Strange, too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I'd like a Third-Person shooter game with The Winter Soldier, with the added depth that his left hand is cybernetic, which will change the game play more than a standard FPS/TPS.
    I've actually thought that a first or third person game with the more soldier type characters would be great. Folks like Bucky, Cap, Cable, Wolverine, Deadpool, etc.

I'm just wondering what type of game it should be, because an RPG game like Ultimate alliance could be good but so could a point and click adventure game from someone like Telltale, maybe like the murder mystery event Original Sin.

Maybe an RPG where you play a brand new hero who explores his/her way through the MU as they are part of a new original event story, maybe even joining the Avengers at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'm just wondering what type of game it should be, because an RPG game like Ultimate alliance could be good but so could a point and click adventure game from someone like Telltale, maybe like the murder mystery event Original Sin.

Maybe an RPG where you play a brand new hero who explores his/her way through the MU as they are part of a new original event story, maybe even joining the Avengers at the end.
    I'd actually like to see an MMO similar to DCU Online.

You could create your own character (unlike the present Marvel MMO) and maybe use Avengers Academy or the Jean Grey School to sort of build them up. And maybe Zemo's Avengers Underground thing for villains.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    That would definitely be a neat idea. They kinda tried that with that X-Men game a couple years ago, but it got pretty bad reviews. But I definitely see potential in a game where you play a new hero. You have team-ups with various heroes, going up against assorted bad guys, getting caught up in bigger and bigger problems.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    That would definitely be a neat idea. They kinda tried that with that X-Men game a couple years ago, but it got pretty bad reviews. But I definitely see potential in a game where you play a new hero. You have team-ups with various heroes, going up against assorted bad guys, getting caught up in bigger and bigger problems.
    That game is what gives me reservations -- you got to tack a lot of powers on to your character, and they often didnt make a ton of sense in the way that was executed. The first few x-men games were fairly faithful to character, as was MUA series. Writing for a blank slate is a lot harder (though not impossible, and definitely a goal worth pursuing).

One thing I'd like to see die a fiery death was the combo system that MUA2 used. It was more of less necessary to get past some parts of the game, which i feel is sloppy design.

Amazing Member

My kingdom for a X-Men Legends/Marvel: Ultimate Alliance type game. I think that's the best format for a Marvel Universe type game. Also including the GotG and the Inhumans.

As for how they could do Kitty Pryde in a game like that, she has her ninja skills for one attack...her phasing could be a cool buff move. And Lockheed.

Marvel Super Hero Squad did her powers justice, so maybe something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxqVCv6f_yM

I've been thinking the same. It's time for a new, great Marvel game. If they would stop focusing on these browser/mobile based trash that has been coming out lately, they could put out something significant. The best Marvel game I've played recently is Lego: Marvel Super Heroes.
    "Relax. I'm far too borderline psychotic to feel pain." - MK.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaJay View Post
    As for how they could do Kitty Pryde in a game like that, she has her ninja skills for one attack...her phasing could be a cool buff move. And Lockheed.

Marvel Super Hero Squad did her powers justice, so maybe something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxqVCv6f_yM
    Yeah, she's got the ninja skills. I'm not sure that works as an attack power; it'd just be her normal fighting set. But I can think of several options. Give her an attack where she phases through an enemy and then hits them from behind, similar to how Nightcrawler and Deadpool would teleport behind an enemy to hit them. Maybe another attack where she phases them partly into the ground, temporarily holding them in place until they break free. Another one where she phases her hand into their head and snaps her fingers, dealing damage and stun. She's trained as a ninja, she could be given a katana, with an attack where she slices all around an opponent really quickly. Lockheed would work as an attack buff. Phasing as a defence buff, reducing the damage she takes. One of her passives would give her greater damage against robots. Another passive could give her an increased dodge, reflecting her phasing. And while she couldn't fly, she could walk on air, allowing her to get over pits.

That's four unique attacks and two buffs. I could probably come up with a couple more that are kinda variations on ones I've already posted. I can't figure out what her ultimate attack could be, though. Maybe she phases the entire floor and sinks all the enemies on-screen into it.

So she could be done. Make her a Nightcrawler-type fighter - fairly high agility and dodge, plenty of energy, not as much power or health.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some younger heroes added in. Maybe a few Young Avengers. Kate Bishop, unfortunately, would be redundant - there's no way Hawkeye wouldn't be there. She could be an alternate skin, or just a DLC character. Wiccan and Hulkling would both make sense - Wiccan as a ranged caster a la UXM2 Scarlet Witch, Hulkling as a brawler with a few powers related to his shapeshifting. Maybe Miss America as a tank. Rockslide as a tank, and Anole as a mix of speed and strength. They could grab Finesse or Striker from Academy - Striker as a ranged character, Finesse as another agile fighter who can throw her clubs. It's still early for her, but the new Ms. Marvel would be a cool choice.

And let's throw in Goldballs. Come on, you know you want him. You would all play as Goldballs all the time.

Let's see, who else could be included. Rocket Raccoon's obvious. An Inhuman probably would be a good idea - either Medusa or Crystal would be the obvious options. Others . . . Ooh! Aracely! Kaine's friend! Who can scare people and is adorable. She should totally be in it. Kaine doesn't need to be in it, since he'd be redundant. He could be another reskin or DLC character - very similar to Spider-Man, but a little bit different. More brutal, not as much finesse.

BANNED

Some sort of Skyrim / Infamous hybrid where you play a brand new character but you interact with all the big names of the MU.

Fantastic Member

I hate the idea of "new hero." Why the hell would I want to play as Spider-man's spider themed little buddy, when I could play as Spider-man? It's counter intuitive.

A couple years ago at San Diego, I sat in on a market research panel when they were trying to figure out the last X-Men game where you played as a junior X-Man. Told them the same thing then. Also threw out my idea for basically the ultimat MUA -- have Kang screw something up, so now the heroes have to travel across time, inserting themselves at all the key moments of the Marvel Universe. So now you can have the heroes try to fight off the Coming of Galactus, or Xtinction Agenda, or the Kree Skrull War, or whatever.