Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Comics Newcomers Declare "I Am Groot" With New Marvel Spinoff Series

Comedian Jeff Loveness and artist Brian Kesinger will push the "Guardians of the Galaxy" tree into his own solo series.

Full article here.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

On the one hand, this sounds awesome. On the other, I have no idea how they could possibly do a solo story about a character who speaks a language no one else understands. Also: How is this going to play into Secret Wars?
    Cyclops was right

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

He's also heavily in rockets book. This is pointless as an ongoing. Mini sure ongoing no
    X-Men Forever

Niffleheim

Is he the last of his kind?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I guess Marvel's really happy with sales of Rocket.

This could be interesting if Groot's general silence results in a greater focus on visual storytelling (kinda like Snake Eyes in GI Joe.) But that wouldn't be an ideal project for a new writer best known for his work on a late night talk show.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

They really are milking the Guardians too much now! Not every member of the team needs their own book!

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    They really are milking the Guardians too much now! Not every member of the team needs their own book!
    Then don't buy it.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Hey, remember when it was announced Gamora would get an ongoing? Whatever happened to that?

Because we actually have a release month for Groot's ongoing. This means the frigging talking tree is getting a solo before the woman. Drax is the only one who hasn't had a book announced yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes soon. Nor would I be surprised if it ends up coming out before Gamora's book.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I will definitely pick this up. The art looks great on that splash page. Love the watercolor with the deep inks.

Groot is an interesting character when you can get into his head space. Hopefully there will be plenty of thought bubbles. The one character I never expected to get an ongoing out of the whole GOTG group but this makes me happy.

Still waiting for the Gamora book that was announced during SDCC. I was really hoping she'd keep her new look and power upgrade from the Black Vortex but the art from Guardians of Knowhere has her looking very back to normal.

Anyway, love GOTG, love Groot and will be hoping this ongoing gets a chance to shine.

Actually, there is some news about Gamora's ongoing: It's been delayed until the fall. So Marvel's got plenty of time to rush a Drax solo out before Gamora's book can start. That be about par for the course.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Actually, there is some news about Gamora's ongoing: It's been delayed until the fall. So Marvel's got plenty of time to rush a Drax solo out before Gamora's book can start. That be about par for the course.
    That is great news!

I doubt Drax will be getting an ongoing though. Mini-series sure, not an ongoing, but I get what your saying. My thoughts are Gamora can only become a better comic the longer they take to develop it. Why rush a comic launch and set it up for failure.

Thanks for the status update, Tiamatty!

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    He's also heavily in rockets book. This is pointless as an ongoing. Mini sure ongoing no
    But is there even really such a thing as an ongoing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    So you'd rather they rush out a product just to put it out rather than make sure it's worthwhile? I don't get the logic in that.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

They should probably do a Drax series now so they can complete the set. Not sure how Groot will manage as an ongoing but I have hope this could be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    So you'd rather they rush out a product just to put it out rather than make sure it's worthwhile? I don't get the logic in that.
    I don't understand it either. This also allows for minimal Secret Wars interference. It's very possible that the writer wanted to hold off and not have a mass event interrupt the book. That or editorial couldn't make the story work due to Gamora being involved with Guardians of Knowhere. I would rather wait, then see the book become a potential mess. It's just a few extra months, it's not the end of the world.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    So true, but Star Lord's book isn't bad actually.