Spectacular Member

Default Venditti Green Lantern Appreciation Thread

Let's face it, Venditti hasn't been embraced by everyone round these parts, but the truth is, he had really big shoes to fill taking over from the man who made Green Lantern the most high profile its been in years, and while he maybe didn't need to break as dramatically from Johns' vision as he did, I do really like the book being a more back to basics sci-fi cop/war story book. It's about The Corps vs. The Universe again, the enemy is more in line with that, and the title isn't so revolving around quasi-fantasy prophesies and the secret history of the Corps, which was fine, but got me personally a bit burnt out. So who else is liking Venditti's take?

Always Rakzo

Are you kidding me? Venditti's current work on Green Lantern rocks!

The character work is pretty strong, the plot and sub-plots are really well-planned and for the first time in a looong time, the different alien races from the GLC are being explored.

I'm truly loving this run.

...It's getting there. It's a darn sight better than it was around Lights Out, but it's still the worst Green Lantern book around (which is more a testament to how great the other four books are than how bad Green Lantern is).

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    ...It's getting there. It's a darn sight better than it was around Lights Out, but it's still the worst Green Lantern book around (which is more a testament to how great the other four books are than how bad Green Lantern is).
    I actually prefer it than Jensen's Green Lantern Corps.

Every book from the line is awesome currently though.

To each their own of course, and I don't want to gatecrash a Venditti appreciation, but I've always found Jensen's character work a lot better in GLC. It's certainly been of more even quality, whereas Venditti's portrayal of Hal was simply dreadful to start off with. Also the colouring is some of the best colouring in comics. Beyond that, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps are basically one book shipping twice a month; there isn't really much between them.