Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I do sadly. He's a fine writer but I've noted he doesn't write romance. I'm not even going to say he writes it unwell, I'm going to say to date writing relationships just is not his season at all. Part of my excitement initially came from the idea that he wouldn't be handling this title and instead doing something else with 616 Peter. Though I guess if he ever had a chance to prove me wrong this is it.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _underscore View Post
    I thought it was pretty much understood that Secret Wars is a temporary status quo, where Marvel will pretty much cash in on everything it can possibly think of, before establishing a permanent new "616" with the best elements of its history (à la N52).

I'm not sure where I got the idea, it might just be because I can't imagine this going any other way.
    The alternative is Battleworld remaining where it is and all these new titles and concepts forming a part of it. With the amount of effort and work gone into Battleworld it's probably not something they're going to get rid of immediately after.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The alternative is Battleworld remaining where it is and all these new titles and concepts forming a part of it. With the amount of effort and work gone into Battleworld it's probably not something they're going to get rid of immediately after.
    Ehhh, you would be surprised, each of these little mini places that we see may expand out into their own universe.

Also is SW part of the horror aspect. I thought Time runs out was that along with the whole thing up till SW which wasn't about the horror, more like where do you go now that things have changed that drastically?

As for the story. I'm remaining optimistic? Maybe we will get a last hurrah, or maybe it'll turn out that hey we've been complaining for this long, why the hell not just reinstate it and see where it goes?

Them going down the Spider-Gwen route after Secret Wars and having numerous titles across several newly established universes would actually make for a good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Them going down the Spider-Gwen route after Secret Wars and having numerous titles across several newly established universes would actually make for a good alternative.
    It works for Spider-Man, with likely spinoffs and potential spinoffs like 2099, MC2, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen and this one.

But there aren't that many prominent Alt-U spinoffs with the other titles.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

I guess this means Amazing Spider Man will continue during secret wars.

I refuse to get my hopes up for this event. Given Marvel's history with Peter Parker's personal life, it's never a good idea to seek progress. At some point, they're going to regress him like they always do. That seems to be their only approach with him. I still am interested in a story about Peter and Mary Jane's relationship. But I'm just skeptical that it's going to have that much impact. Given all the worlds that will likely be lost in Secret Wars, I'm not confident much is going to stick.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I have a hunch it will be a fond and heartwrenching final farewell to the marriage and kid, something along the lines of To Have and to Hold meets For the Man Who Has Everything, before the reboot deages Peter to synch with the teen character in the new Marvel/Sony movie series.
    I don't know about heartwrenching, but I'm hoping it bookends the pre-OMD Spider-Man in some satisfying way. And I hope that the characters are left in tact in whatever reality they are from or will be in, so that they could be used again in the future. But on a pitch-by-pitch basis. A writer has an idea for a mini-series, then we don't see them for months or years until someone else has an idea. Let new stories flow from ideas, rather than look for ideas to fit into an ongoing series.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    Just shaking my head at anything. Not a wow here but maybe a woo? Anyways I'm sort of excited about the book. I was really but it occurred to me that they could have everything go to pot (horror story after all) and use it as a " told you so " reasoning that Marvel shouldn't have canon Peter and MJ be married. That sort of worries there. I mean there would be no call for such speculation normally but the brass has gone out of their way to convince the readership how terrible a thing the marriage is, and most especially that it's not " what we want ". Just thinking aloud.
    This is my greatest fear about this story, it really does feel like something they'd do. The thing is for me Spider-Man's marriage to MJ was a big part of what made him unique in comparison to other heroes and a writer who isn't a complete hack would be able to get some genuinely compelling drama about someone who's both a family man and a hero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VanGoghX View Post
    So does anyone else get the impression that this whole "Secret Wars" thing is going to be similar to the X-Men "Age of Apocalypse" storyline? You know, Professor X dies, all X-Men books are cancelled, history is rewritten, etc., and then a couple of months later we return to the status quo? Not that I'm complaining, and I actually hope it's the case, because a couple of months where everything goes wacky is always a fun thing, and I'd ultimately prefer it to the alternative of "everything changes forever".
    Didn't Sugar Man of Age of Apocalypse escape to the Main 616 universe when the event ended ?

Also didn't Legion survived the event ?

So shouldn't that main that everything wasn't changed back at the end of Age of Apocalypse ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    I'm expecting this will be an excuse to shape 616 into the MCU. Ultimate Nick Fury will remain. X-Men will be downsized with potentially the O5 remaining.
    And here I was hoping for a last moment with the ORIGINAL Nick Fury before Secret wars ends.

BANNED

We're supposed to see more of Battleworld revealed on the 17th, so maybe we'll see some news delving into the very base premise of this story sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It works for Spider-Man, with likely spinoffs and potential spinoffs like 2099, MC2, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen and this one.

But there aren't that many prominent Alt-U spinoffs with the other titles.
    I think we could have a 616 Spider-Man title, a Miles title (or one with both together), a Spider Gwen title, a RYV Spider-Man title (or that version in a team somewhere), 2099 carrying on with O'Hara and a Spider Verse team book. Anymore than that might be a tad overkill, but there might be scope depending on how large they'd want the Spider Family of books to be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    I'm expecting this will be an excuse to shape 616 into the MCU. Ultimate Nick Fury will remain. X-Men will be downsized with potentially the O5 remaining.
    If their intention really was to "downsize" the X-Men they would have asked Scottie Young for an X-Men babies book and not an Avengers' one…jokes asides…between team and solo books there is probably never been more X books (Magneto, Storm, Cyclop, Nightcrawler all have a book now) and I count at least six X-Men themed territories on Battleword (with a couple more probably still not releaved like Bar Sinister) so I really can't understand all these neverending voices abou the X-Men demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    We're supposed to see more of Battleworld revealed on the 17th, so maybe we'll see some news delving into the very base premise of this story sometime this week.
    It was meant to be last Tuesday but they changed it shortly afterwards, but I'm excited none the less. I figure if it's not Civil War then Renew Your Vows will be the final reveal for the June Solicits.