Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why are there so many evil Superman now?

It's seems like it has become a trope now in DC. From Injustice to Earth 2 it seems DC can't have enough of evil Superman.

So they can make Batman the good guy and have them fight each other
    *Genius*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    It's seems like it has become a trope now in DC. From Injustice to Earth 2 it seems DC can't have enough of evil Superman.
    2 evil supermen hardly seem like a trope, epecially when both are noncon/alternate universes

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    2 evil supermen hardly seem like a trope, epecially when both are noncon/alternate universes
    Lord Superman counts too.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    Injustice has gotten more mainstream attention by default than any Superman comic since the 90s.

DC's playing to fan's worst preconceptions of the character, which is why the eeeeeeeevil Supermen so often go up against Batman. In his own titles they're still treating him more or less alright, but otherwise DC clearly just sees him as a plot device, and can't see any use for him other than to pit him against others. Hence Injustice, hence Earth 2, hence getting brainwashed and killing Dr. Light, hence the driving issue of Season 2 of JLU being that he might turn evil (and I really loved that season, otherwise), hence him now turning into Doomsday, hence him evidentially being gone 'Five Years Later' and an OMAC 40 years on. It's seen as the 'natural' endgame of the character when seen from the most cynical perspective possible--which is what DC's all about these days--and since DC is as dependent on stripmining DKR as Watchmen, it's the only idea of him they can go back to that they actually trust.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Injustice has gotten more mainstream attention by default than any Superman comic since the 90s.

DC's playing to fan's worst preconceptions of the character, which is why the eeeeeeeevil Supermen so often go up against Batman. In his own titles they're still treating him more or less alright, but otherwise DC clearly just sees him as a plot device, and can't see any use for him other than to pit him against others. Hence Injustice, hence Earth 2, hence getting brainwashed and killing Dr. Light, hence the driving issue of Season 2 of JLU being that he might turn evil (and I really loved that season, otherwise), hence him now turning into Doomsday, hence him evidentially being gone 'Five Years Later' and an OMAC 40 years on. It's seen as the 'natural' endgame of the character when seen from the most cynical perspective possible--which is what DC's all about these days--and since DC is as dependent on stripmining DKR as Watchmen, it's the only idea of him they can go back to that they actually trust.
    One would think his Endgame would be All-Star.

'Cause Superman is so awesome, that in addition to being the greatest hero, he makes a better villain than 70% of actual comic book super-villains.

Or at least, that's a slightly optimistic way to look at it.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

A conspiracy to kill Superman, if you listen to the conspiracy-theorist fanboys.

But I'd recommend you don't. Its just a trend they're milking in alternate tales that they'll eventually grow tired of exploiting just like everything else.

I'll be frank, Lord and Injustice Superman seem awful whereas a guy such as Ultraman seems tolerable largely because Lord and Injustice Batman are the "good guys." It kind of makes you wonder if DC is saying that Superman is particularly corruptible. I know LS and IS were both framed in a story such that both were under tremendous strain and that the intent probably is that anyone would snap under those conditions, but it generally fails in execution. Either that, or comic writers are too much enamored by Batman vs. Superman, and figure Batman as the villain would be uninteresting or too hard to make plausible.

I do think it's a good observation, though, that Superman is more interesting than most actual comic-book villains, which is why I do tolerate guys such as Ultraman.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Because Superman is such a kind, incorruptible man. A lot of creators can't handle that, so they make him weak willed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

Truth dispensed right here.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Truth dispensed right here.
    Man I wish I wasn't.
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I feel its to get rid of his boy scout image

Because Superman is too unrealistic and would go crazy with evil in real life, unlike Batman.

I do few that the current Powers That Be don't get Superman that well (Johns is an enigma, sometimes he seems to, sometimes he doesn't). Which surely is a contributer. But with writers today like Pak and Soule, following a mythology revamped by Morrison, guys who DO get the character and are able to make him fun to read without the evil trope (Doomed doesn't count in my eyes, its not going evil when you're being transformed into something patently not you), I have hopes that it will play a role in this fad dying out.