Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've found myself asking this question a number of times as well. And I think it's largely due to the growth and success of anti-heroes. Heroes like Iron Man, Wolverine, Batman, Hulk, and Black Widow are not heroic in their persona. They all have serious issues and would probably need a lot of therapy if they existed in real life. I think starting in the early 2000s with books like The Ultimates (which is basically just the Avengers if they were all unrepentant jerks), everything superhero suddenly had to be an anti-hero. And that meant heroes like Superman fell to the wayside. Now I enjoy anti-heroes as much as they next guy, but it's gotten to a point where it's hard to really admire or respect them. I think Marvel and DC have really overdone it with the anti-heroes. That's why I think characters like Superman and Captain America (especially the movie version) are becoming more relevant. There's this myth, and it is a myth, that fans don't respect a character that just does the right thing because it's the right thing. There is a place for heroes like that and right now, the anti-hero movement has gone way overboard.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    2 evil supermen hardly seem like a trope, epecially when both are noncon/alternate universes
    You're aware their is an event called Forever Evil going on right now which has all evil Justice League counterparts including Superman. The digital Beyond verse is doing the Justice Lords with evil Superman. Earth 2 evil Superman. Injustice Evil Superman. Superman Doomed. That's 5. And pretty much accounts for every universe DC is publishing except Batman 66. SO if by chance you walked into a comic book store at the moment and wanted to pick up a Superman comics inevitably you'd be reading about a evil Superman because that's the only thing they're putting out right now. Think about that. Of the 5 universe being published (prime, Beyond, Earth 2, Injustice, Batman 66) 4 feature Superman and all 4 feature an evil Superman.

I've been saying this for awhile already. This is exactly what is killing Superman. New readers can't help but be affected by the barrage of Superman is evil etc.stuff when it's a large portion of what's available for them to read. Then add the fact that many new readers are handed DKR as a good into to comics and Superman never stands a chance of getting out of that perception. The characters and comics you are first introdced to as a reader almost alwasy hold a special place in the fans heart, and that colors their choices, and perceptions for years.
    Last edited by R0NIN; 05-19-2014 at 04:42 AM.

because he's the ultimate symbol of goodness and hope, so it's shocking to see him as an evil entity. or it was a shocking think 30 years ago. now it's an overdone trite storyline.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    A conspiracy to kill Superman, if you listen to the conspiracy-theorist fanboys.

But I'd recommend you don't. Its just a trend they're milking in alternate tales that they'll eventually grow tired of exploiting just like everything else.
    this, take the tinfoil hats off people

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    You're aware their is an event called Forever Evil going on right now which has all evil Justice League counterparts including Superman. The digital Beyond verse is doing the Justice Lords with evil Superman. Earth 2 evil Superman. Injustice Evil Superman. Superman Doomed. That's 5. And pretty much accounts for every universe DC is publishing except Batman 66. SO if by chance you walked into a comic book store at the moment and wanted to pick up a Superman comics inevitably you'd be reading about a evil Superman because that's the only thing they're putting out right now. Think about that. Of the 5 universe being published (prime, Beyond, Earth 2, Injustice, Batman 66) 4 feature Superman and all 4 feature an evil Superman.

I've been saying this for awhile already. This is exactly what is killing Superman. New readers can't help but be affected by the barrage of Superman is evil etc.stuff when it's a large portion of what's available for them to read. Then add the fact that many new readers are handed DKR as a good into to comics and Superman never stands a chance of getting out of that perception. The characters and comics you are first introduced to as a reader almost always hold a special place in the fans heart, and that colors their choices, and perceptions for years.
    and your aware he's not earth 1 supes right? and your seriously counting doomed as an evil superman? it's just a fad that will come and go, what do you think no other superhero has gone through an edgey phase?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    One would think his Endgame would be All-Star.
    His endgame would be Superman Beyond imo.
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-19-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    His endgame would be Superman Beyond imo.
    The Beyond line is from Earth 12.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    and your aware he's not earth 1 supes right? and your seriously counting doomed as an evil superman? it's just a fad that will come and go, what do you think no other superhero has gone through an edgey phase?
    I am aware of that. What does not being Earth 1 Superman have to do with it. You said there's only 2. I pointed out that in the 4 universes with Superman in it all 4 have a evil Superman. Earth 1 has two. And yes I'm counting Doomed why wouldn't I? It's another Superman becomes evil story isn't it?

I've been saying this for awhile already. This is exactly what is killing Superman. New readers can't help but be affected by the barrage of Superman is evil etc.stuff when it's a large portion of what's available for them to read. Then add the fact that many new readers are handed DKR as a good into to comics and Superman never stands a chance of getting out of that perception. The characters and comics you are first introdced to as a reader almost alwasy hold a special place in the fans heart, and that colors their choices, and perceptions for years.
    So much truth in this post it hurts.

The saddest thing is, IF I want to read the current new 52 about the not-evil Superman I won't be able to find one. Damn right, NONE. Superman isn't the big blue boy scout who ALWAYS fights for peace and justice anymore. He's the goddamn ex-good guy who has ,depending on the universe, either been possessed, infected, brainwashed, twisted and turns to big bad villain whom the other heroes need to united to fight against.
    Last edited by Anis; 05-19-2014 at 08:36 AM.

All-New Member

I always thought of it as a power level thing. Superman is so powerful that they make him the favorite to win in practically any conflict. In order for the resolution to not feel like a foregone conclusion and to actually raise the stakes in the matter (and throw the resolution into some believable amount of doubt), you need an enemy that is either more powerful than Superman (which can prove difficult), or to make the enemy Superman himself. This is also why Batman so frequently ends up being the hero - he's the ultimate (and most popular) underdog. He's a (mostly) normal human with normal human limitations who strives to overcome against all odds and succeeds. It's much more cathartic for your general reader to see Batman come through than Superman, because for Superman it ain't no thang (or at least it shouldn't be).

I am aware of that. What does not being Earth 1 Superman have to do with it. You said there's only 2. I pointed out that in the 4 universes with Superman in it all 4 have a evil Superman. Earth 1 has two. And yes I'm counting Doomed why wouldn't I? It's another Superman becomes evil story isn't it?
    Evil is evil, true. I do see a bit of a distinction, though, between a story such as the Justice Lords and Doomed, however. Doomed makes it some sort of physiological or pathological effect so that his becoming evil will likely be mostly out of his control. Justice Lord Superman showed that it was a matter of choice and will, and among all the Justice League, he was the one who was most corrupted and least likely to be redeemed. I'm not super thrilled with Doomed's premise, but I still find it a lot more tolerable. I also think Doomed is better for attracting new readers to Superman than the Justice Lords or Injustice (though the latter has been good for attracting new fans to DC, in general). Doomed might indeed become a test of will, but at least it's mostly presented as a physical challenge, and so far it appears to be one only Superman can handle. Lord Supes and Injustice Supes are guys who appear to be weak-willed, and unless JLB 2.0 does something that the cartoon never really intended upon doing, guys who end up becoming lost and irredeemable.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 05-19-2014 at 10:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I've found myself asking this question a number of times as well. And I think it's largely due to the growth and success of anti-heroes. Heroes like Iron Man, Wolverine, Batman, Hulk, and Black Widow are not heroic in their persona. They all have serious issues and would probably need a lot of therapy if they existed in real life. I think starting in the early 2000s with books like The Ultimates (which is basically just the Avengers if they were all unrepentant jerks), everything superhero suddenly had to be an anti-hero. And that meant heroes like Superman fell to the wayside. Now I enjoy anti-heroes as much as they next guy, but it's gotten to a point where it's hard to really admire or respect them. I think Marvel and DC have really overdone it with the anti-heroes. That's why I think characters like Superman and Captain America (especially the movie version) are becoming more relevant. There's this myth, and it is a myth, that fans don't respect a character that just does the right thing because it's the right thing. There is a place for heroes like that and right now, the anti-hero movement has gone way overboard.

This single handily described the biggest problem with Comic Books today.

Comic Books + Real World Ideas and Logic = The End of Comic Books Characters and the lighthearted fun and escape they are meant to give you.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 05-19-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    This single handily described the biggest problem with Comic Books today.

Comic Books + Real World Ideas and Logic = The End of Comic Books Characters and the lighthearted fun and escape they are meant to give you.
    They're not 'meant' to give anyone specific thing. Though that still highlights the problem, which is that the examples listed do suggest they have to be a certain way thanks to force of popular approval.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    They're not 'meant' to give anyone specific thing. Though that still highlights the problem, which is that the examples listed do suggest they have to be a certain way thanks to force of popular approval.
    Sure they are. They are Characters that over a very short period of time starting in 1943 became geared for children meant to be both a clean enjoyable form of entertainment as well as when done correctly a learning tool on character development and teaching right from wrong. Not going to get into it here though as it is kinda off topic.

On topic, Superman will always bare the brunt of those trying to change the character into something it is never intended to be. Lack of respect and understanding for the character will always lead to those who think it is cool to show if Superman were like us by being bought out and corruptible.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 05-19-2014 at 01:55 PM.

BANNED

the story of earth 1 superman comics is the definitive story of superman, all the other versions are simply derivatives. and clearly your not reading doomed based on the bolded. he is not becoming evil, he is losing his sanity and free will thanks to the doomsday virus. your using the term way too loosely here