Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What are people's deal with actors from different nationalities?

Eversince andrew garfield was casted as spiderman people didn't like him because he was British. Now I know this would be a sick joke on the Internet but the fact that everyday we see some idiotic sick shit on the Internet abd the fact that I had a conversation with a friend in real life this is something that made me afraid this topic even existed. I had a conversation with someone and he didn't like Hugh jackman, Heath ledger, and Christian bale because they are actors from from different nationalities playing American characters.
    So why do people hate actors from different nationalities?

I don't hate actors from different countries. I do find it puzzling that there are so many English and Australian actors in Hollywood. Neither country is all that big populationwise, and there are enormous numbers of American actors competing for roles. So the relatively high number of them playing American characters is a little puzzling. Just yesterday, I was a little startled when the I Zombie star did an interview and turned out to be English.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I don't hate actors from different countries. I do find it puzzling that there are so many English and Australian actors in Hollywood. Neither country is all that big populationwise, and there are enormous numbers of American actors competing for roles. So the relatively high number of them playing American characters is a little puzzling. Just yesterday, I was a little startled when the I Zombie star did an interview and turned out to be English.
    yeah, it's a little surprising that an actor is different from what you hear just like i was surprising how Hugh Jackman was actually australlian and with that voice i always pictured him as an american and the same can go with Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes.

but i'm mostly shocked when the actor is gay like Wentworth Miller who played Chris Redfield and Captain Cold.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    Eversince andrew garfield was casted as spiderman people didn't like him because he was British. Now I know this would be a sick joke on the Internet but the fact that everyday we see some idiotic sick shit on the Internet abd the fact that I had a conversation with a friend in real life this is something that made me afraid this topic even existed. I had a conversation with someone and he didn't like Hugh jackman, Heath ledger, and Christian bale because they are actors from from different nationalities playing American characters.
    So why do people hate actors from different nationalities?
    Maybe I'm naive, but I honesty don't believe most people (assuming you mean "Americans" here) 'hate' actors of different nationalities. You may have encountered some thick headed folks, but I don't think you should extrapolate anything from that. Lots of people are prejudiced against a lot of things, doesn't mean most or all are.

What I HAVE heard and read is surprise, as you and the above poster mentioned, about the number of foreign stars playing American characters. It's not a huge deal, but it's a little odd. Ultimately, it really doesn't matter to me. Bale is British and he's the best Batman, by far, IMO, and I can't imagine anyone else playing Wolverine besides Jackman now.

BANNED

it's crazy when you see it. i don't think Hugh got criticize much or maybe i've been missing something. it's freaking crazy since a black actor like Donald Glover gets accepted by people to play Spiderman(he's not but alot of people wanted him) and yet they criticize Garfield before the film because he's british. if Charlie Rowe gets casted as spiderman i'd be surprised if they wouldn't care since Marvel can get away with anything at this point. i would looooove to see the reaction.

i really don't understand people. usually when a british actor is casted i think of "i wonder how he/she is gonna sound like" instead of "oh god! he/she's british! they should've hired *insert american actor/actress here*. i mean people get casted for a reason and there are obviously people from different nationalitites who sound american so why be so afraid despite most still being white?

yeah, it's a little surprising that an actor is different from what you hear just like i was surprising how Hugh Jackman was actually australlian and with that voice i always pictured him as an american and the same can go with Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes.

but i'm mostly shocked when the actor is gay like Wentworth Miller who played Chris Redfield and Captain Cold.
    What's wrong with the actor being gay? If he does a good job with the character, why does it matter?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    What's wrong with the actor being gay? If he does a good job with the character, why does it matter?
    nothing wrong with it. it's just that finding out one is gay is more shocking than one is from another nationality. at least to me probably.

F
    nothing wrong with it. it's just that finding out one is gay is more shocking than one is from another nationality. at least to me probably.
    Oh. Not of that bothers me.
    I don't know why people are bothered by the nationality thing.
    The funny thing about Wolverine, if an American played him, THAT would also be the wrong nationality, since he's Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    There's been outlets claiming for years that America is no longer producing the same types of leading men it used to since the whole slacker douchebag look is en vogue right now. So when they want a rugged action star they go to places like Australia or Europe.

I'm not sure if that's accurate but it's the argument I've seen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    There's been outlets claiming for years that America is no longer producing the same types of leading men it used to since the whole slacker douchebag look is en vogue right now. So when they want a rugged action star they go to places like Australia or Europe.

I'm not sure if that's accurate but it's the argument I've seen.
    There's a de-emphasis on theatrical (stage) work supposedly. Money certainly isn't there in America. Non-US actors have more stage work in their resume, and I think that serves them better.

While I can find it a bit jarring when I see them doing interviews, it doesn't really bother me. The Walking Dead stars have to be the best example of this. That southern accent is laid on so thick that hearing Andrew Lincoln the actor speak just feels dirty and wrong. But that doesn't mean I have a problem with it.

And I also get what you mean about sexuality not lining up with the well known character. Again, it doesn't bother me, it just is weird when their character builds this expectation in your head about who the real person is, only to find out that expectation was totally not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    While I can find it a bit jarring when I see them doing interviews, it doesn't really bother me. The Walking Dead stars have to be the best example of this. That southern accent is laid on so thick that hearing Andrew Lincoln the actor speak just feels dirty and wrong. But that doesn't mean I have a problem with it.

And I also get what you mean about sexuality not lining up with the well known character. Again, it doesn't bother me, it just is weird when their character builds this expectation in your head about who the real person is, only to find out that expectation was totally not correct.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Andrew Garfield has dual citizenship, Garfield's father is American and he was born in the U.S.
    Garfield moved to the UK as a kid and was raised there but he moved back to the U.S five years ago.

I imagine the hate for Garfield's dual nationality is probably down to some people not like him as Spider-Man.

As for the topic of foreign actors playing Americans or acting in American films or television, that is not a new thing. British actors have acting in Hollywood since the dawn of the industry there. British actress Vivien Leigh was nominated Academy Awards for playing Southern Belle's Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind and Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire. From Cary Grant to Bob Hope Hollywood has always had British actors.

Britain and Australia have relativity small populations in comparison to the U.S which means they have a smaller entertainment industry. Actors from Australia, Britain, Ireland, ect partly come to the U.S because there isn't enough work for all of them.

Hollywood hires these guys because many of them are good well trained actors. Many actors for example do a acting degree at some very illustrious Drama schools in the UK that have a proven track record for producing talented actors. The alumni of places like RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, The London Drama Centre, Guildford School of Acting, the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts, ect are a who's who of the acting world for the last 80 years.

Many people in the American film industry (casting directors, directors,producers, agents, ect) say it is hard to find good masculine American actors. Playing sports seems to be more of attractive activity than performing arts for most young males.

@MichaelC, i, Zombie star Rose McIver? I believe she is from New Zealand, not England. Or did you mean someone else?

I don't know, sometimes the casting works in super hero films-Thor, Wolverine, Garfield as Spider-Man. Maybe other times it doesn't. I think we're seeing more and more international actors playing these roles as Americans because so many new American faces in Hollywood, male and female, are just terrible. More obsessed with the life of a star and being a celeb' over actually learning to act.

Many of the actual brilliant US actors are having trouble getting work too due to maybe not looking as good as some of the better looking guys and girls who actually suck. Just look at Arrow, great series, but Stephen Amell brings nothing at all to the role of his own, very wooden, stiff and no in a good moody way-just looks dead on screen. Really beyond being attractive it's hard to know why he's got the role. Though I know he's Canadian-being CW show.

Who knows, as long as they are right for the role I don't mind. Garfield, as an example, was great as SM and worked soo well with Emma Stone for a different take on the super hero movie. The way Sony/Columbia handle this series is quite poor to tell the truth.
    Last edited by gobSIDES; 03-15-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    There's a de-emphasis on theatrical (stage) work supposedly. Money certainly isn't there in America. Non-US actors have more stage work in their resume, and I think that serves them better.
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Many people in the American film industry (casting directors, directors,producers, agents, ect) say it is hard to find good masculine American actors. Playing sports seems to be more of attractive activity than performing arts for most young males.
    These may be related issues. I've also heard that athletic Americans that go into acting tend to be self-conscious about comedy (and especially, self-parody). As a result, they don't have enough of a range to interest directors.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I imagine the hate for Garfield's dual nationality is probably down to some people not like him as Spider-Man.
    I actually liked Garfield; his execution was fine. I do think the way his Peter Parker was written was off, especially in ASM2. Too comfortable in his own skin.