Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I went back and watched the first MaGuire Spider-Man movie in full for the first time in probably 13 years since it was in the theaters.

This stuff you are saying makes no sense to me. He only gets pushed around by Flash and his jock squad. Yeah the other kids laugh during the school bus incident and he's generally considered a nerd by kids that are jerks even if they aren't jocks. Even the bus driver who was probably a former jock and still wants to be part of that crowd acts like a juvenile in on the cruel pranks.

In my experience, unfortunately, most of that was totally realistic. I don't know if you have any idea how sadistic kids can be to someone who doesn't fit in. Read some articles about it. There's far more social awareness of it now. If anything, I found the scene to be mellow compared to reality. And, yes, I'm very glad that part of life is long over for me and that I reached a breaking point where I wouldn't put up with it anymore. BUT, as I said, I found that part of the movie totally realistic. In fact, I found it uncomfortable and found it making me mad because it caused me to relive unpleasant memories. But it was one scene.

The scene where he was trying to take the photo and the jerks kept bumping him also felt very realistic to high school. Hey, it was funny in a cruel jerk kind of way once so let's do it again and again and again.

The scene where he finally fought Flash also felt very realistic minus the spider powers of course. I was in that scene myself in high school where I finally fought back and actually won and only realized after, when someone pointed it out to me, that almost everyone was cheering for me because I finally fought back.

So, no. Nothing about that felt exxagerated or unrealistic to me. Things like that had everything to do with why I identified with Peter Parker. I'm just glad it was only the first few minutes of the movie.

Now I had nothing against the Andrew Garfield take on it but I found it very different than the Parker I think of, very underplayed. I didn't see where he had it nearly as bad as Peter did in the comics. In fact, I thought, "That's their idea of a nerd that gets pushed around?" It felt more like the writer having a testosterone burst and giving us the Peter Parker he thought should have been, a guy who got mildly victimized as just one of the nerds, not THE nerd as he was in the comics.

Once we get past that earliest part, I really loved the Garfield Spidey. We get the Gwen Stacy years which we didn't get in the first series. I guess we'll never see this version of MJ.

After seeing the second movie in the new series, I was honestly stunned that it failed to make their profit expectations to the point of not finishing the trilogy. I thought it was great. The ending was just staggeringly emotional both in the loss and in his decision to go on as Spider-Man. It really boggles me that it didn't do great at the box office.
    um yeah, what you said makes no sense because tobey's situation is not realistic at all and the other nerds picking on him was totally meant for him to be this biggest loser. now i have checked many articles on bullying and have been bullied myself and the way it was handled in the raimi films was a very mixed bag. yeah, taking a picture while getting pushed around was i guess realistic but that was nothing special since the characters were written so one noite. it also didn't matter if flash and his friends pick on peter in the school trip since it's already been proven by the opening of 1 and 3 that peter is a big enough loser to be picked on by bus drivers and nerds. the bus driver was just some stereotype. there was NOTHING realistic as what you just said. as for what i said about people being assholes that is not what raimi wanted you to believe because people being assholes have to be more believable if one person can't be the only victim and if you have the rest of the people to sympathize with him. with maguire no one liked him just because. the only people who do are harry and mj. that's it. they've been used for the plot and established that peter is a huge loser.

the thing you said about Garfield about "That's their idea of a nerd that gets pushed around?" is exactly what tobey is because the way he's pushed around is ridicuolous. i just watched an episode of static shock that i haven't seen in a long time and that is actually bullying done right. heck if you are a manga reader and read girls of the wilds and the breaker that is also bullying done right. Chronicle was bullying done right as well. with raimi that is not realistic as you said. i do not care how blindly you think it's realistic it is not. when you compare it to many cartoons or comedies that is what the opening of Spiderman 1 and 3 is like. nothing realistic nor sympathetic. it's just ridiculous. and it's sad because we're suppose to sympathize his highschool life and this is what Raimi chose? and i like that you brough up the bullies because this has got to be the worst version of Flash in live action because Flash in the comics was not only a bully but naturally evolved into peter's closest friend gaining plenty of development to relate and sympathize with flash. TASM demosntrated this and so did TSSM. with raimi he's just some one not bully who looked like he's held back 6 or 8 times.

as for Garfield being a nerd unfortunately for you that is what nerds like garfield are like nowadays and if you people have noticed it you wouldn't blindly accused him. tobey's george mcfly don't exist and peter in the comics was never like maguire.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    um yeah, what you said makes no sense because tobey's situation is not realistic at all and the other nerds picking on him was totally meant for him to be this biggest loser. now i have checked many articles on bullying and have been bullied myself and the way it was handled in the raimi films was a very mixed bag. yeah, taking a picture while getting pushed around was i guess realistic but that was nothing special since the characters were written so one noite. it also didn't matter if flash and his friends pick on peter in the school trip since it's already been proven by the opening of 1 and 3 that peter is a big enough loser to be picked on by bus drivers and nerds. the bus driver was just some stereotype. there was NOTHING realistic as what you just said. as for what i said about people being assholes that is not what raimi wanted you to believe because people being assholes have to be more believable if one person can't be the only victim and if you have the rest of the people to sympathize with him. with maguire no one liked him just because. the only people who do are harry and mj. that's it. they've been used for the plot and established that peter is a huge loser.

the thing you said about Garfield about "That's their idea of a nerd that gets pushed around?" is exactly what tobey is because the way he's pushed around is ridicuolous. i just watched an episode of static shock that i haven't seen in a long time and that is actually bullying done right. heck if you are a manga reader and read girls of the wilds and the breaker that is also bullying done right. Chronicle was bullying done right as well. with raimi that is not realistic as you said. i do not care how blindly you think it's realistic it is not. when you compare it to many cartoons or comedies that is what the opening of Spiderman 1 and 3 is like. nothing realistic nor sympathetic. it's just ridiculous. and it's sad because we're suppose to sympathize his highschool life and this is what Raimi chose? and i like that you brough up the bullies because this has got to be the worst version of Flash in live action because Flash in the comics was not only a bully but naturally evolved into peter's closest friend gaining plenty of development to relate and sympathize with flash. TASM demosntrated this and so did TSSM. with raimi he's just some one not bully who looked like he's held back 6 or 8 times.

as for Garfield being a nerd unfortunately for you that is what nerds like garfield are like nowadays and if you people have noticed it you wouldn't blindly accused him. tobey's george mcfly don't exist and peter in the comics was never like maguire.
    Sam Raimi tends to present things in a campy manner though he mostly dropped the campiness except for the first few minutes of the first movie. Where Raimi/ MaGuire lacked realism was in two ways: presenting it as comedy and not taking it nearly far enough. In my experience, the stuff we saw Peter go through in the early parts of the movie was nothing, less than nothing, compared to reality.

Maybe this is a generational thing because it's not just me. There are a number of people my age I've known who found the Raimi take on those high school years to be fairly realistic except for the comedic approach to presenting it and likewise found Garfield's Parker to be simply one among many of the "computer geeks" or nerds, just not a jock.

If you look at those early stories, the impression is that Flash Thompson and people like him aren't going after every nerd in the school, at least not to a degree even close to how they go after Peter. Peter seems to be particularly singled out as sort of the nerd among nerds for some reason.

Yeah Raimi's approach is campy and the people who push him around are one note characters but, then again, the only time we ever see them is when they are picking on Peter or trying to get MJ. No matter how complex they may really be, to him, they *are* one note people.

I know Flash later became a good friend of Peter's but that was after things happened that drastically changed things, years in real life regardless of how much time was supposed to have happened in the world of Marvel Comics. I've had that experience myself of meeting a person or two years later and they were almost staring at their shoes or avoiding eye contact while trying to sort of apologize for things because they had grown up and saw the world differently. But, this is a movie. In the first one, all we see is Flash and Peter in high school.

You can say what you want because this is all totally subjective and based on experience. Clearly for you, the Garfield version is reality and maybe it is for you or for those more recently in school. To me, it's such a mild form of ostracism that it wouldn't even phase me and I think it is highly telling that people my age found the kind of stuff Peter went through in the MaGuire films to be closer to what such a person really went through in those days because, setting aside the comedy approach, it was.