I read all the constructive criticism on this thread and agree with every single word of it. The whole 'New Krypton' saga could have been so, so much better. It was seemingly abandoned by Johns halfway through and muddled through to a conclusion by Robinson and Rucka. It was far too bloated, ended poorly and was a missed opportunity in so many ways.

However, I'm still really fond of it, despite all that. I'm not a comic-book reader that normally wallows too deep in nostalgia. Having spent a considerable amount of time on here that is something that I am extremely grateful about. I'm so glad that I'm not permanently stuck in previous ages of comic-book history emotionally. But that whole period - thinking Secret Origin to War Of The Supermen chronologically (I never bothered with Grounded) - did something for me that rarely happens in comics. It took me back to being a 4 year old and watching the first Christopher Reeve movie with my Dad in January 1979. It took me back to buying and reading old Bronze Age comics, then freely available in newsagents, and even older Silver Age reprints. It took me back to my first introduction to so many cool concepts - The Legion Of Super-Heroes, the Phantom Zone, Zod, Brainiac, Mon-El, Krypto etc.

I think that was the whole intent of that particular Johns run. A big nostalgia trip for comic-book fans of a certain age. It certainly worked on me. I totally agree that, ultimately, the 'New Krypton' saga was fumbled but I can't bring myself to dislike it.