Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Ignore" Lists?

Default "Ignore" Lists?

Just curious how many of you have these, and, if so, how many are on it? I hate to place anyone on such a list, and resist doing so, but ultimately if there's a poster who seems immune to real debate and discussion, and whose sole purpose seems to be pontificating from the Mount, so to speak, and who never concedes a point, and/or seems to denigrate or demean others, I do ignore them.

I understand the "just don't read his/her posts" arguments, but to be honest, it's impossible to avoid some of these folks. And in further honesty, I come here to relax and unwind, not get angry. I enjoy and invite good respectful debate, but often on the Internet that turns into a mean-spirited snarkfest and I don't have the time or inclination for that, anymore.

There's one on my list.

I don't think I've felt the need to add anyone to mine since CBRand New Day a while back. Before that, however, there were quite a few. Most of whom ended up getting banned, thus proving conclusively that I was right and they were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I don't think I've felt the need to add anyone to mine since CBRand New Day a while back. Before that, however, there were quite a few. Most of whom ended up getting banned, thus proving conclusively that I was right and they were wrong.
    LOL, vindication is sweet, it seems!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Their is no problem or shame in having an Ignore List, as you said yourself Electr1cgoblin, you rather Not Do it, but their comes a time when it becomes to much with certain posters. It is for your betterment the most, a really bad poster can bring you down to much and change and can make you post comments you never think of and get yourself in-trouble. Posters that make you end up like that, make you mad, upset and take away from your experience are not worth the time of day if they add nothing but frustration.

I say it is all your choice my friend and should be for your own personal well being to have one cause by many reasons. It can be a benefit.

Honestly, for me I don't have one or most likely will never, but that is just my way, I see the importance of one and if a poster is bothering a friend to much, I urge them to do so for their own well being.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

It sure beats getting banned, I tell you what.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I just excuse myself. Usually I'll entertain a debate for about three posts but other than that I'm out. The thing is I don't like debating and especially when what's being debated is whether I can or cannot like something. A lot of people don't seem to understand that a respectable as you put it, debate begins with both sides first agreeing to engage in it. It's how some people roll I get and grant that. I've seen the ten page or better epics that stew while I'm asleep. But it's not me and I'm pretty up front about that. There's plenty of other willing participants about if someone is looking for a sparring partner, it needn't be. Else if the person says something that's really disagreeable, like as in makes me uncomfortable I'll generally avoid them and their posts. If it's it a lot of long off-topic wall of text stuff I'll just buzz past it like one would all the click-bait in a social network feed. I didn't know the ignore option existed though.
    I make love, you make me sick.

I don't use the ignore lists on anything that doesn't represent me directly. As in, I'll block you on Facebook because I am me and you are you and the two of us just don't need to interact with each other for whatever reason. On here and similar sites, I don't because I'm Goggindowner, not <insert real name>. I come here to talk about a very small slice of my life in relative anonymity. My interactions, while sometimes spirited, aren't personal. Now, if my direct message inbox starts getting filled up with a bunch of crap, I'm just going to report you and hope the mods do their job. I probably still won't use the ignore feature, but I would certainly give it serious consideration.

I seriously love a good debate, so having those types of exchanges don't bother me, they fuel me to post more and get into the thick of things. I always strive to keep things nice and respectable, but sometimes I slip up. It happens. I typically won't get into it with anyone on Facebook or something like it, because again, its the real me in full representation and not everyone wants to be subjected to it. I'll go face to face one on one with them if they want, but not out for everyone to see.
    Last edited by Goggindowner; 03-14-2015 at 07:43 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I know exactly how you feel man. I have exactly two people on my ignore list currently and it's entirely because the two posters in question are so extremely negative about every single little thing all the danged time. I'm not talking valid criticisms or complaints here just negativity for the sake of negativity. It actually made my enthusiasm for the comic genre go down the crapper and made me leave the forum for a time. Once I put them on ignore though my enthusiasm for comics and comic discussions went back up to it's previous level. Sometimes you just need to do what you need to do once it starts effecting you enjoyment.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-14-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

I don't use the "ignore" list no matter who I am dealing with.

I prefer seeing what he/she is is posting and ignore it ( though I usually don't ignore ) rather than not seeing his/her posts and kept you wondering what could he/she have been posting especially when other posters are talking about it.

I can say though that I'm kinda "annoying" to some because I always talk about Storm. I even think some cbr posters here don't even want to see "Celine Dion's" name (which is on my siganture), hehehe.

And when it comes to having different opinions (especially about Storm), I usually don't stop posting my point. So it usually ends up me being "ignored" or they use the "ignore" list on me.

I mostly say sorry (esp in the Storm Appreciation thread) or tell them though not to feel bad because it is just a discussion but sometimes people get carried away.

I also feel bad sometimes but I just don't feel like using the "ignore" list. It's like you're not seeing the whole site if you'll use it.
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 03-14-2015 at 08:46 PM.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Zero here. I ignore people the old fashioned way.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I've never used ignore lists. I've been on the internet so long that the raging assholes populating the place are just background noise. I just seems weird when they're not there. I imagine I'm on quite a few ignore lists though, what with me being a raging asshole and all that.

BANNED

Same here, they're part of the fun and occasionally they'll say something that impresses you and makes you reevaluate them as posters. Then they post again and you're right back where you started, but those distractions can be as fun as letting people know what I think about the newest issue of "Spider-Man". If someone's bad enough the mods will take care of them, and if they just have a different opinion than I do (however strongly) I like seeing that.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

I've never used an ignore list on any site. If anyone's that bad, they'll get banned by the moderators. Plus, I usually avoid threads which I know are going to devolve into petty arguments. Also, I don't think that any poster has ever annoyed me enough to warrant an ignore.
    Plus, I just want to hear everyone's opinions. As far as I'm concerned, it's a free forum, but not a Jeremy-Clarkson-level free. Everything has it's limits eventually, so I can understand why other people use ignore lists, and why the option's there.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

I don't use the ignore button to not read posts (I'm a curious cat); but it's a helpful way of flagging posters who have made very questionable (or down right homophobic) comments in the past. It makes it easier when discussing LGBT issues to remember who is a) not worth discussing that issue with and b) whose consistently makes anti or unsupportive LGBT sentiment.

BANNED

Usually instead of ignoring people I send them a really mean and disrespectful response and start a flame war in the middle of the thread. I consider that to be the best way of handling things and it can also be pretty productive.