Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Howard the Duck #1 Discussion

Is it worth reading? There wasn't any at the store I go didn't had the chance to grab it :/
    Youtube.com/MrKevinsComics

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin's Comics View Post
    Is it worth reading? There wasn't any at the store I go didn't had the chance to grab it :/
    It's not Steve Gerber's Howard, but hey, it was a fun read. Certainly worth a try.

Short Answer: No.

Incredible Member

This was surprisingly...not good.

I have been looking forward to this for months now. Having read it, I wouldn't even call this mediocre...it was just bad.

I knew this issue would generate some reactions when I saw Howard the Duck trending on Twitter yesterday. I decided to pick this up. And surprisingly, it was pretty good. I thought it was fun, albeit a bit goofy at times. But compared to a typical Deadpool comic, I think it was still decent. It's not going to blow anyone away and the tone of the book isn't for everyone, but I think it's worth checking out.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

it's alright..not terrible but not that great either
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

I enjoyed it immensly. I'm on for the ride. Chip can have my money.

I liked it, I just hope Howard ends up back on earth next issue.

I would have to say this comic makes the horrible "Howard the Duck" movie look like an Academy Awards winner. This is a first issue and drop book for me.

Incredible Member

I read it a second time to see if my initial negative reactions were warranted. I liked it a little more the second time, but not by a lot.

The problem for me is that the draw of this book is comedy and I just did not see much worth laughing about. The joke about Howard not being able to text well was worth a chuckle. Other than that, I didn't laugh. Ant-Man is far superior in the comedy department.

Great book

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I read it a second time to see if my initial negative reactions were warranted. I liked it a little more the second time, but not by a lot.

The problem for me is that the draw of this book is comedy and I just did not see much worth laughing about. The joke about Howard not being able to text well was worth a chuckle. Other than that, I didn't laugh. Ant-Man is far superior in the comedy department.
    You didn't laugh at the lewd framed duck picture on the cover, next to baby Groot? Or at the Spider-Man/Uncle Ben breakdown? You managed to keep a straight face while reading the Catwoman line?

Well, to each his own of course, but this was by far the funniest book I read in a while.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    It's not Steve Gerber's Howard, but hey, it was a fun read. Certainly worth a try.
    I agree completely. I expected to be completely disappointed because I'm such a big fan of Gerber's work, but this had it's own voice and mostly worked. I think if Chip had tried to ape Steve's voice, the book would have completely failed, but wisely, he went in his own direction. It's not a great book, probably at just over the cusp of being a good book, but there's a lot of potential.

I also liked that most of the comedy was in background gags. That's one of the things that Zdarsky nails in Sex Criminals, and I like that he and Quinones are doing the same thing here. It makes you really pay attention to the panels, which means that this isn't your typical "read in 5 mins" comic.

i personally did'nt like how spider-man was here.
    i hope the next issue is better
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Amazing Member

I liked it. I liked the tome, the humor, the art was good. I just didn't like the cosmicy end. I stopped reading.