Default Has Superman ever met Gilgamesh?

Just wondering if there has been a story where Superman, arguably the greatest hero of his age, met the first mythic hero?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Just wondering if there has been a story where Superman, arguably the greatest hero of his age, met the first mythic hero?
    As far as I know (and I just checked this on dc.wikia.com to confirm), DC has never done much of anything with the old Gilgamesh myth, except for a science-fictiony "modern retelling" in Jim Starlin's miniseries "Gilgamesh II," and that was set in its own little timeline where nobody had ever heard of any of DC's usual superheroes.

So no, I don't think Superman has ever met Gilgamesh, except in the sense that when I searched for the name "Gilgamesh" on dc.wikia.com, I found a reference to how Marvel's version of "Gilgamesh" appeared in at least one issue of Kurt Busiek's "JLA/Avengers" crossover miniseries. He and Superman may have rubbed shoulders at some point while the two teams were trying to save both of their native universes. But I don't think that's exactly what you were looking for.
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 05-19-2014 at 07:26 AM.

BANNED

Gilgamesh and Superman...at Urook.

All-New Member

There was a time around 1960 (give or take) under Weisinger when Superman repeatedly met (and bested) various mythical/historical heroes, such as Hercules, Atlas and Samson. (These are available in various Showcase Presents volumes.) No Gilgamesh, though, so far as I know.

Hercules, back in the Silver Age, pretty much wanted a pissing contest with Superman.

Superman vs Atlas may be as close as we get.

Superman has fighting (or at least having rivals) of Samson, Hercules, Atlas, Thor (the DC version) and now Ullyses. Ok, not always they were the original myth character, but some comic inspired character based in the legend. The close thing to Gilgamesh in comics I know is the Marvel character and the Starlin OGN. Could be interesting to see Superman knowing a version of Gilgamesh and other mythic figures from around the wolrd as Nimrod, Susanoo, Beowulf and so on.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Gilgamesh and Superman...at Urook.
    Luthor, his arms wide.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Luthor, his arms wide.
    Luthor, when the walls fell.