Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default J. Scott Campbell's take on Wonder Woman's costume

So, that new Wonder Woman costume has sparked some controversy. After expressing his opinion on the matter, artist J. Scott Campbell took it upon himself to redesign Wonder Woman's costume himself:

I’ve been informed by many on Twitter this weekend that we can no longer handle THIS kind of Wonder Woman any more. Are they right..?
    * Different, updated, but still recognizable as the multi-decades-long icon that she is ✓
    * Authentic visual connection to her Grecian/Roman Amazonian culture and background ✓
    * Americana infused such as the use of Red White And Blue, Eagle and Stars ✓
    * Minimal arm protection thus making her abilities to deflect bullets with only the skillfull use of two small bracelets all the more impressive, as it should be! ✓
    * Tasteful level of exposed skin to show off womanly athletic form without resorting to cleavage or thong etc... ✓
    * Unencumbered shoulder area for easy twirling of lasso ✓
    * Color-scheme bright, uplifting, and positive without excessive dark blackened in areas (well, imagine that it would be!) ✓
    * Mild resemblance to Cobie Smulders (ok, I added that one in for me! wink emoticon ✓
    Forgive the awkward pose. It's a bit tough putting her into action without covering her costume up.

I gotta say I'm in love with this look, which is pretty much in line with Jason Fabok's recent and apparently short-lived redesign.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Color me sold!

I love it!

The only thing I might criticize is the footwear. I know it's more in keeping with her Grecian heritage, but open-toed sandals are a bad idea in combat. Sure, Diana's powerful and resistant to damage, but her feet can still be damaged in combat, and without her feet, she loses a lot of her combat proficiency.

But other than that minor gripe, I'm totally onboard with this re-design! Well done, Mr. Campbell!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I would take out those pointless arm things near her shoulders and the sword too. Other than that, this is very nice.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I would take out those pointless arm things near her shoulders and the sword too. Other than that, this is very nice.
    Yeah, the arm thingies don't really serve a purpose, so they can go too. The sword as well, given that I much prefer the weapon bracelets as a way for Diana to carry weapons without displaying them to the entire world.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yeah, the arm thingies don't really serve a purpose, so they can go too. The sword as well, given that I much prefer the weapon bracelets as a way for Diana to carry weapons without displaying them to the entire world.
    Yeah I'm not a fan of her almost always carrying a sword. Can't the lasso shape-shift into a sword anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Yeah I'm not a fan of her almost always carrying a sword. Can't the lasso shape-shift into a sword anyways?
    She's not She-Ra,,, *wink* ^_^

I prefer the single sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    I prefer the single sword.
    As do I - Wonder'ine shooting swords out of her bracelets never much appealed to me, unless she is fighting gods and that sort on Olympus, where she and Lord Hermes might display powers, they don't manifest on Earth. Not crazy about that costume ..and think it'd probably look better on one of Tina Turner's back-up dancers. You can take those open-toe sandals and toss them, too.

She's NOT Perseus, and this isn't a Harryhausen film.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-16-2015 at 02:21 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    She's not She-Ra,,, *wink* ^_^
    I AM She-Ra! Lol
    But seriously....I thought he lasso had shape shifting properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    As do I. Wonder'ine shooting swords out of her bracelets never appealed to me, unless she is fighting gods and sorts on Olympus.
    Completely agree.

Looks great!
    No worries about Fabok's design going away, she'll be sporting it in June's JL (and beyond, I assume).

BANNED

It's sad how we readers can't pick and choose which designs ultimately get used in the books, because I very much like that one. Yes, even the sandals, because in terms of practicality, they are as useful and protective as the boots have always been.

As for the sword... I don't see the point of ever depicting Diana carrying one around as long as she can make some come out of her bracelets. But at least someone finally drew one with a scabbard instead of just having it dangling around bare-bladed next to her bare legs.

BANNED

J.Scott Campbell advocates skimpy outfits for Wonder Woman to "show off her strong powerful frame". what strong powerful frame?
    With that said I'm all for sandals & battle skirt, I hate the sword strapped to her leg, I don't particularly like the tiara, Fabok's done this look better imo

Spectacular Member

I'd like to see a strap to help hold up the bodice, but I love the detail on the shin guards.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HoVistoLaMadonna View Post
    J.Scott Campbell advocates skimpy outfits for Wonder Woman to "show off her strong powerful frame". what strong powerful frame?
    With that said I'm all for sandals & battle skirt, I hate the sword strapped to her leg, I don't particularly like the tiara, Fabok's done this look better imo
    I never really liked it when they'd draw WW like a female bodybuilder...she just looked strange like that to me, she shouldn't be paper thin either but...as for Campbell I've always liked his art and wish that we'd see it more.