View Poll Results: IS BATMAN A REAL MEMBER OF THE DC TRINITY ?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

65 90.28%
  • No

7 9.72%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Is Batman a real member of the DC Trinity

Batman's skills set, power set, methodology, tactics, way of thinking differ vastly from his 2 colleagues. DC want us to believe that Batman is one the top 3 characters/heroes of DC universe when in fact the company failed to explain why Batman matters again and again. Star Trek with Kirk, McCoy and Spock is a perfect example of a true trinity. Street Fighter with Ryu, Ken and Chun Li is another great trinity. The truth is DC over the years failed to understand the concept of trinity. Having 2 godlike beings and a human do not constitute a trinity. The concept of trinity must implies balance which is not the case with this so called DC Trinity. In international relations, we call that balance of power. More like imbalance of power in this case.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 03-15-2015 at 09:39 AM.

BANNED

Well let's just get the real reason he's a part of the DC Trinity out of the way: He's insanely popular. Just like Superman and Wonder Woman. Whether their alliance isn't realistic or whatever doesn't matter. They're the three most popular characters in DC Comics.

Batman matters because he shows everyone time and time again that one does not need superpowers or money to save the day. Batman is a man guided by his virtues, intellect, strength, honesty, and willpower. He, Superman, and Wonder Woman all share these traits and all have the same goal---to protect the world from any threat. They all share the same ideals and therefore they have a friendship and an alliance.

Also, the definition of trinity is "a group of three people or things". I don't see why that's any different because Batman is a part of a trinity with Superman and Wonder Woman. They're still three people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Having 2 godlike beings and a human do not constitute a trinity. The concept of trinity must implies balance which is not the case with this so called DC Trinity. In international relations, we call that balance of power. More like imbalance of power in this case.
    Meaning that Batman doesn't have superpowers? Let's look at a few things:

1. Batman is the world's greatest detective.
    2. Batman is a master of manipulation and can outthink just about anyone.
    3. Batman is in supreme physical condition. He would put even the best Olympic athletes to shame.
    4. Batman has the willpower and determination to rival the best Green Lanterns.
    5. Batman is easily one of the best martial artists in the world.
    6. Batman is a master of stealth.
    7. Batman can apparently get by on very little sleep and still function well.

Batman's abilities are so far above those of a normal human that he effectively does have superpowers. He has shown over and over that he can stand among the most powerful heroes on Earth on fairly equal ground.

Batman is not just some random human. He does not represent the average person. Batman is basically a paragon of humanity's potential. I see no reason why he shouldn't be considered as part of the trinity.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Batman's skills set, power set, methodology, tactics, way of thinking differ vastly from his 2 colleagues. DC want us to believe that Batman is one the top 3 characters/heroes of DC universe when in fact the company failed to explain why Batman matters again and again. Star Trek with Kirk, McCoy and Spock is a perfect example of a true trinity. Street Fighter with Ryu, Ken and Chun Li is another great trinity. The truth is DC over the years failed to understand the concept of trinity. Having 2 godlike beings and a human do not constitute a trinity. The concept of trinity must implies balance which is not the case with this so called DC Trinity. In international relations, we call that balance of power. More like imbalance of power in this case.
    The short answer is yes. Batman sells the tickets.

Long answer? You lost me with the Star Trek comparison because I got lost in Trek nitpicking, because I can't help myself, I'm more of a Trekkie than a comics guy. A critical look at TOS establishes that Star Trek does not feature a trinity. It features a quartet, with the heavy emphasis on Kirk and Spock, half that emphasis again on McCoy, and then half that again on Scotty. De Kelley, fantastic, of course later gets billing in the titles sequence during Season 3, which makes it look like a three-man show. Which is lovely, but broken down into episodes Scotty has nearly as many "spotlight" episodes as Bones. It's a four-man show. (It is not, no matter how our retroactive lenses might be applied, "an ensemble". The eclectic and diverse cast of junior officers don't actually get much of anything in the way of spotlights or development. Even Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Brand get more development than Uhura, Sulu or Checkov.)

Actually that look at Star Trek can contrast with DC nicely. It's important not to mix up "top billing" with how the characters are actually represented on the page, and then on top of that "in character". Does Batman always get top billing? Yes. Is he represented well on the page? Yes. Do the other characters consider him one of them? Yes. Three separate criterion, but yes to all of them.

Moreover, the Trinity isn't about power levels. It's about the three most popular characters c.1940 (well, 38-41) and how they get lots of publications and lots of team-ups together. This of course expands directly into the makeup of the "Big Seven" of the Justice League, which is not about who makes the best team, it's about the six most popular DC characters and their Martian friend. And what's more, the DC Trinity, also like Star Trek - they're actually a quartet too! Because the adventures always featured Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman ... AND ROBIN!

Dick Grayson is the fourth member of the DC Trinity.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 03-15-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I was wondering where you went...haven't seen any Batman not belonging threads in some time.

Just kidding

I understand your viewpoints...but, dude. Chill out; He's just a fictional character

No need to start all these threads about Batman not belonging in the League.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

penetrator of things

Usually, it's people questioning if Wonder Woman belongs in DC's Trinity.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

BANNED

Only one image sums up my thoughts on this thread.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

The concept of the Trinity comes frokm "whcih characters were published continuously from the Golden Age until today". specially, who didn't have a "break" when the golden age ended and a "restart" wyhn the silver Age started.

Those chars are Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman. So yes, Bats belongs in the trinity.

Incredible Member

Its Wonder Woman that stands out, not Batman. She pretty much there because she is a female heroine, so she gets a "girl pass".
    How many titles Wonder Woman and her dinasty has? Two, and one of them is shared with Superman. Superman has two titles for himself, one for Supergirl, and two titles

Superman and Batman are the greats. Wonder Woman? Has potential, but not there yet.

Look at Marvel - The big three are Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. No girl pass there.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

(Exhales loudly)

Come on DarkKnight, you're not a bad bloke but you're flogging a dead horse here. Again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Its Wonder Woman that stands out, not Batman. She pretty much there because she is a female heroine, so she gets a "girl pass".
    How many titles Wonder Woman and her dinasty has? Two, and one of them is shared with Superman. Superman has two titles for himself, one for Supergirl, and two titles

Superman and Batman are the greats. Wonder Woman? Has potential, but not there yet.

Look at Marvel - The big three are Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. No girl pass there.
    What a joke.

How many titles do those three have by themselves?

Captain America and Thor aren't even the stars of their own comics.

Marvel's big three being Cap, Iron and Thor has always been a bit of joke and reactionary to DC's Trinity anyway, given Spidey's by far their biggest hero.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Only one image sums up my thoughts on this thread.

I don't get it.

Batman fits in just fine when the writers don't vilify or dumb down the others to make him look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't get it.
    It's an old forum injoke centering around a certain poster well known for asinine questions. Like, way, way worse than the topic at hand.

I freakin' enjoyed that poster's hayday.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

Nah, Marvel doesn't really have a trinity but if you had to name three, it'd probably be Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Wolverine. Maybe Captain America instead of Logan now