View Poll Results: Who is/are the best villain(s) created in the past decade?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of the Vault

28 30.43%
  • Daken

28 30.43%
  • Evolutionaries

5 5.43%
  • Final Horsemen/Apocalypse Twins

28 30.43%
  • Friendless

8 8.70%
  • Future Brotherhood (Xorna, Raze & Co.)

10 10.87%
  • Hellfire Kids/Hellfire Academy

14 15.22%
  • Kimura

11 11.96%
  • Luca Aldine

4 4.35%
  • Ord & the Breakworlders

9 9.78%
  • Project Purgatory

6 6.52%
  • Red Right Hand/Mongrels

5 5.43%
  • Unit

30 32.61%
  • Vulcan

18 19.57%
  • Other

12 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Rouge Mort

So at the end of the first issue of X-Men: Die By the Sword, this^ crashed their party.

We still have no idea who the hell she was under that gimp suit. Rumor at the time was, it was the long-lost Meggan, who had been missing since the Decimation, and would have ended up being an amnesiac nemesis to Captain Britain until she'd eventually her empathy would kick in, and she'd remember. That never happened, though, and instead, she was an interdimensional brute squad leader who showed up to have her goons fight Psylocke and Sage, with plenty of onomatopoeia preventing gratuitous crotch-shots, and declarations of whose turn it was.

She certainly was noteworthy, perhaps not for the right reasons.

S.C.A.R.S.

That there is one of the three gals in S.C.A.R.S., Ballistique. She was fortunate to not also be given the onomatopoeia of "PEW! PEW! PEW!" as her superpower to to create telekinetic bullets with her mind, provided she forms her fingers into guns to "shoot". She's a cyborg soldier, created by the government, who was stripped of her memories after being decommissioned. She had them restored by Monet St. Croix telepathically, and went on a revenge quest that Monet and X-Factor were trying to stop. This led, of course, to the death, and soulless resurrection of Strong Guy. Also, S.C.A.R.S. ran afoul of the Black Cat, because they were trying to murder J. Jonah Jameson, which probably had a lot to do with them trying to tie X-Factor into the mainstream Marvel Universe.

Anyhow, Ballistique got put into a coma by Monet, for killing Guido and all that, so she's lying somewhere with catheters in her. Considering what she did when she regained her identity, if she ever wakes up, she'll be gunning for Ms. Croix with her "PEW, PEW, PEW!" fingers.

Shi'ar Death Commandos

In mere seconds, the Shi'ar Death Commandos cleansed the universe of almost the entire bloodline of Jean Grey (except her mom and Rachel, of course). It was the start of a quest for revenge of Rachel, and a point of conflict going forward between the X-Men and the Shi'ar. They hate the Phoenix that damned much (not that it's done any emperor of the empire to screw with anyone associated with it).

Sure, maybe they're just soldiers following orders. But then again, they almost seemed to enjoy mockingly branding Rachel with a tattoo that oddly resembled a wang at the tail end of their attack. They were brazen, and sadly, didn't get to live past "War of Kings". It was fun while it lasted.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 05-20-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Mighty Member

Best villains:
    Children of the Vault, Daken, Last Horsemen
    Worst: Matt Fraction's Sisterhood and the Hellfure Brats. Someone should have given them a good spanking.
    The Hellfire Brats that is. The Sisterhood probably would have enjoyed it.

Sublime Corporation

Lobe was the supposed super-intelligent leader of this group, that also featured Thug (generic super-strong guy), Blur (generic super-speedster), Bouncing Betty (generic durable powerhouse with huge knockers, because Greg Land), and Verre, the only character people seemed to like because she was French, had a seeming penchant for whips, and her superpower was to get naked and turn invisible. She was fan-service in its concentrated form.

Anyway, they were the focus of several arcs of Uncanny X-Men, from when they blackmailed Scalphunter to fly a plane full of Predator Xs at Utopia, and then when they unleashed the H1X1 virus, that gave us the perplexing "Quarantine" story arc, that showed us Matt Fraction doesn't understand how quarantines work. They are so awful that John Sublime, the character that's supposed to be their backer, has refused to ever appear on panel with them.

Tattooed Man

So... Colossus is all butt hurt because Kitty Pryde got shot into space in a giant, magic bullet. And then, this guy rolls into San Francisco. A human trafficker selling depowered mutant Russian girls into sex slavery. And... Piotr has seen this guy before. He threatened to kill his family years earlier back in Russia and...

Wait a minute. His mutant power is he can touch people, and his tattoos reveal their secrets, and then he extorts them? Really? That's it?

He isn't locked up in Utopia, and you've not heard a peep from him. Probably because he's lame.

Unit

You just can't get enough Unit in your life. A billion year old robot who likes to watch planets get destroyed to learn something from the experience, Unit was being held prisoner by S.W.O.R.D., except then again, maybe he was letting them just think they had him locked up. If someone played Unit in a movie, it would be Anthony Hopkins with CGI, because he totally gives off a Hannibal Lecter in "Silence of the Lambs" vibe.

So obviously, he broke out of his prison, and had a bit of fun with the A-List X-Men, humiliating them in creative and fun ways (literally) like gassing Namor and Emma Frost with pheromones so they'd start humping each other in front of Cyclops. He then "surrendered" because he wanted to study Hope Summers and her connection to the Phoenix, and the whole time, mocking his "jailer", Danger, by calling her, and I quote, "A gymnasium with pretentions".

That's our Unit, all right.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 05-20-2014 at 07:26 PM.

We need one of project purgatory

BANNED

There are so a lot of them that I didn't like. The ones that I like though are Vulcan, Apocalypse twins, Daken , Final Horsemen and Children of the vault.

Vulcan

The long lost 3rd Summers brother made his first appearance during "X-Men: Deadly Genesis", where he tried to kill Professor X for sending him on what was essentially a suicide mission to Krakoa before the "All New, All Different" team were brought in to handle it, and then letting him be shot into space inside Krakoa, and erasing any and all memories that he ever existed.

Yeah, that's a good reason to have beef. But from there, he decided to murder the Shi'ar Royal Family for killing his mom, opted to instead shag, then marry Deathbird, then murder D'Ken to usurp the throne of the empire, murder his father, and generally prove to be a cosmic level threat and all around douchebag to his brother, Havok.

Black Bolt killed him at the end of "War of Kings". I don't often hear people say they miss him.

X-Raven

I swear I'm not making this up... there was an X-Men/Spider-Man miniseries a few years back, and in it, it was revealed that Kraven the Hunter made a bunch of deals whilst working for Nathaniel Essex through the years, who OF COURSE took some of his DNA, and spliced it up with his own, and that of the original X-men to make a clone thing called X-Raven.

After telepathicallly making contact with Cyclops, he learned the concept of defiance, and decided to try and murder Mr. Sinister, Frankenstein-style, in his own lab. Considering since that happened, we've seen Mr. Sinister, but not X-Raven, I think we know how that fight turned out. We might never hear from this... thing... again.

Y-Men

Remember Ink, in Young X-Men? Well, we eventually learned he wasn't a mutant, but a human who got tattoos from a mutant whose power was to give people tattoos that grant them super-powers. And while Ink was apparently his first subject, he ended up handing out superpowers like they were candy to a gang of wankers at a paintball park in California who would call themselves the Y-Men.

The Young X-Men (Rockslide, Dust, Anole, Moonstar, Sunspot, Graymalkin) were fighting a losing battle to their overwhelming numbers, when Cipher got Ink back to the tattoo shop to receive the ultimate deus ex machina (and I don't throw that phrase around casually) in tattoo form, a Phoenix tattoo. Which he used to strip all the Y-Men of all their ill-gotten powers. The tattoo aritst, Leon Nunez, then went into a coma, because, seriously, this whole story concept needed to die a quick death. That's probably the last you'll ever hear of them.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 05-20-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Ah, the Y-Men. Proof in fact that Young X-Men was actually a failed comedy book.

Wait, now I'm confused...

Is this thread about villains that are...

A) best at being the worst = the worst of them all
    B) best of the worst = least horrible of them all
    C) best of villains = well, the best villains of the past decade

Wording is kind of confusing on this. But I voted for those that are the best IMHO in the poll so

Daken, when written well though he needs to stop dying and coming back, he's already died twice and returned twice! (And remender was responsible for his second death and both of his resurrections, ugh)
    Vulcan has potential if written well
    Friendless, finally a new alien villain and non-mutant telepath, he's not just another future counterpart to some pre-existing mutant or a new student.
    Evolutionaries are interesting in theory even if them being apemen isn't really the best imho. I can see them fighting NW, since the new NW are composed of pretty much all human species in MU, right?
    Loved the concept of Red Right Hand and while Mongrels were lame characters at least their lameness guarantees that nobody wants to resurrect them so the tragedy of the story stays. (I thought originally that Aaron made them seem lame intentionally for this very reason but after seeing his WatXM students I'm not so sure about that anymore.)
    Immortal Man seems interesting, somebody needs to redesign him though to get rid of Land's stench.
    Project Purgatory and Inferno Babies, great use of past loose ends to create new villains. Too bad they were one off types who got all killed and many of their powers were awfully useless or limited.

Haven't yet been able to read CotV or Unit (god, Land art...) But they've been praised so I think I'd get on board with them as future villains.

The worst would without a doubt be Bendis/Aaron creations like Future Brotherhood and Hellfire Brats they're either too unimaginative or too fucking horrible lame and annoying. They definitely take the cake for the worst villains hands down!
    And I read about that XRaven and thought it was an awful awful concept. Who came up with that anyway?! I have no words for the stupidity and lameness of that... whatever it is.

Unit.
    The Twins.
    Maybe Daken.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I agree with the first. The second... the Purifiers were technically around since the 1980s, when they debuted with Rev. Stryker during "God Loves, Man Kills"... so they really were a returning threat.

It's not that I don't love them, they just weren't "new".
    Is it why there's no mention of the Sapien League and Leper Queen ?
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    Wait, now I'm confused...

Is this thread about villains that are...

A) best at being the worst = the worst of them all
    B) best of the worst = least horrible of them all
    C) best of villains = well, the best villains of the past decade

Wording is kind of confusing on this. But I voted for those that are the best IMHO in the poll so

Daken, when written well though he needs to stop dying and coming back, he's already died twice and returned twice! (And remender was responsible for his second death and both of his resurrections, ugh)
    Vulcan has potential if written well
    Friendless, finally a new alien villain and non-mutant telepath, he's not just another future counterpart to some pre-existing mutant or a new student.
    Evolutionaries are interesting in theory even if them being apemen isn't really the best imho. I can see them fighting NW, since the new NW are composed of pretty much all human species in MU, right?
    Loved the concept of Red Right Hand and while Mongrels were lame characters at least their lameness guarantees that nobody wants to resurrect them so the tragedy of the story stays. (I thought originally that Aaron made them seem lame intentionally for this very reason but after seeing his WatXM students I'm not so sure about that anymore.)
    Immortal Man seems interesting, somebody needs to redesign him though to get rid of Land's stench.
    Project Purgatory and Inferno Babies, great use of past loose ends to create new villains. Too bad they were one off types who got all killed and many of their powers were awfully useless or limited.

Haven't yet been able to read CotV or Unit (god, Land art...) But they've been praised so I think I'd get on board with them as future villains.

The worst would without a doubt be Bendis/Aaron creations like Future Brotherhood and Hellfire Brats they're either too unimaginative or too fucking horrible lame and annoying. They definitely take the cake for the worst villains hands down!
    And I read about that XRaven and thought it was an awful awful concept. Who came up with that anyway?! I have no words for the stupidity and lameness of that... whatever it is.
    The poll is just for the best. But the discussion is to be about the best and worst of this lot.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Unit.
    The Twins.
    Maybe Daken.

Is it why there's no mention of the Sapien League and Leper Queen ?
    Ah, the LEPER QUEEN. I'll do a nice little write up on her. Thank you.

Future Brotherhood is by far the worst villain team in comics history

BANNED

Last edited by DDD; 05-19-2014 at 06:31 AM.

BANNED

Kimura is a plot thread that just needs to be resolved already. She's supposed to be the Sabretooth to X-23's Wolverine, but she's far too much of a one-trick pony to carry that off successfully. The only purpose she serves is to torture, brutalize, and otherwise fill Laura with angst about not being able to get rid of her. Creed certainly does that to Logan, but he also has plots and agendas beyond making Logan's life miserable, and is one of the most scary smart and manipulative villains in the franchise (well, when HE'S being written properly, that is). Hell, even when Creed DOES focus his attention on Logan, he's still incredibly creative with his tortures. The best Kimura can muster is hacking off her arm with a chainsaw.

Now, maybe had they played more with how similar Kimura's and Laura's backgrounds were (both suffered severe physical and emotional abuse in their formative years, both only had one person during that time who showed them love and could have repaired that damage, and both lost that person before they could do so) they could have made Kimura a more interesting character (IE, Kimura sees how Laura has succeeded in rising above her past trauma where she failed to do so herself, so Kimura's continued obsession is a result of envy and her own self-loathing). Unfortunately, she really just comes across now as a crazy stalker ex who just enjoys torturing Laura for the lulz.

It's time to put Kimura out of Laura's misery for good. Have Elixir come back and use his Omega powers to strip Kimura's body mods, enabling Laura to kill her. Or maybe Julian goes Vader and TK-crushes her windpipe as a makeup present. Or hell, just let Laura drown HER in a puddle. Not to say that she couldn't be salvaged, say, by having her become an independent mercenary to bring her into conflict with the larger 616 'verse, but so long as she's tied to the Facility she's never going to be more than a plot device to derail Laura's development.

BANNED

BEST
    1. Daken
    2. Leper Queen (my Queen)
    3. Final Horsemen (best thing to come out out of that horrible Apocalypse concept)
    4. Golgotha (best alien ever)
    5. Miz Sinistah (Bush league boozehound)
    6. Inferno Babies (I like the reference to Inferno and their sadistic thrills)
    7. Luca Aldine (A.BOM.IN.ATION)
    14. Future Brotherhood (they're so ridic I love them)

Worst
    1. Evolutionaries (Kyost, plz)
    2. Hellfire Kiddies (horrible execution of the idea. I like the dead cat girl tho)
    3. Lord Deathstrike (leave the biz to Lady, boyo)
    4. Ord and Breakworlders (Whedon's writing sux)
    5. Vulcan (no comment)

His hair remains ridiculous.
    His tattoo and daddy issues are ridiculous. Hair? Not so much.

You just can't get enough Unit in your life.
    I don't see what's the big deal with Unit: pompous robot which can do whatever it pleases.
    Talk about being basic.

The best: Children of the Vault.

The worst? Now that's hard. So many crappy redundent concepts in the last years.

Peace