Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why did they make Zsasz a joke?

Has anyone read the Last Arkham? It is a great story I highly recommend but the biggest surprise to me was it was the introduction to Zsasz who is COMPLETELY different than how he is now portrayed in comics, video games, etc. I had always thought of Zsasz as a nearly naked, bald serial killer who is basically a joke or "first round" villain to warm Batman up for the real challenge. He is not a real threat as such.

In the Last Arkham, we see a blond haired, black eyed demonic looking man who is obviously highly intelligent. I am sure I am not the only one who thought of Hannibal Lecter when reading this story. Zsasz basically manipulates Arkham behind the scenes and even gets under Batman's skin. Also he is a very physical threat towards the end of the story as well.

Does anyone else wonder what happened to this great character? He had so much promise to be one of the "top tier" Batman villains and they basically made him a moron who has killed a lot of people. Just wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me and their thoughts.

BANNED

I thought he had great potential; like you, I've always wondered why they didn't develop him into a serious threat. ANY serial killer is not to be taken lightly.

Killer Croc syndrome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Killer Croc syndrome.
    Yeah. Anywhere but Gotham City, everyone would be TERRIFIED of a murderous reptile-human living under them.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I liked what Morrison did with him in his run on Batman and Robin with the child fight club. I wish Zsasz would be like how he's portrayed in the Gotham tv show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Killer Croc syndrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Yeah. Anywhere but Gotham City, everyone would be TERRIFIED of a murderous reptile-human living under them.
    http://community.comicbookresources....an-Killer-Croc

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I liked what Morrison did with him in his run on Batman and Robin with the child fight club. I wish Zsasz would be like how he's portrayed in the Gotham tv show.
    I'll need to check that out.

On a shallow note, Zsasz needs his old school look back. The blond hair, the demonic eyes, all of that made him appear very unique and distinctive. The look they've given him over the years is very generic. As far as Zsasz being treated as an afterthought is concerned, that unfortunately can be said for practically all of the Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle Batman villains (Ventriloquist & Scarface, Cornelius Stirk, Ratcatcher, etc). The potential being wasted is mind blowing.
    Last edited by Nero; 03-20-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardNigma View Post
    I'll need to check that out.
    Paul Dini, not Morrison Hush Money

One reason might be that on a surface level, Zsasz is "just" a serial killer with an eye-catching look. It's hard to build a story around that, especially compared to Joker, Two-Face, Scarecrow and other villains with clearer yet more copmplex motivations and characteristics. I still like Zsasz though, and hope we'll see more of him in the future.

BANNED

New villain comes along -> new writers come along who didn't play in any part in creating him -> have no nostalgia for the character therefore don't really care too much for him or alternatively don't just really get what the original writer was going for -> dumb him down to fit their story.

Not really a shocking new thing in superhero comics. Bane and Croc have been hit pretty hard by it too.

Though I understand when the cases are for characters who kinda sucked but people try and "fix"- a lot of people really like Hush after Paul Dini reworked him, I still think he sucks- it's just sometimes the fix doesn't go so well.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 03-21-2015 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post

Though I understand when the cases are for characters who kinda sucked but people try and "fix"- a lot of people really like Hush after Paul Dini reworked him, I still think he sucks- it's just sometimes the fix doesn't go so well.
    Hush still sucks but at least the character is in a better place. What Lieberman did to him nearly ruined the character forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Hush still sucks but at least the character is in a better place. What Lieberman did to him nearly ruined the character forever.
    I actually really like Hush though I still can't get why Thomas is mad at Bruce. You promised my parents would be ok and one died. He is mad that the other didn't? Maybe it is all tied to Bruce being loved by his family moreso but the whole anger over the family death thing doesn't click in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    One reason might be that on a surface level, Zsasz is "just" a serial killer with an eye-catching look. It's hard to build a story around that, especially compared to Joker, Two-Face, Scarecrow and other villains with clearer yet more copmplex motivations and characteristics. I still like Zsasz though, and hope we'll see more of him in the future.
    I would argue Zsasz is more than that especially when you delve into his zombie philosophy. It is creepy how disconnected he is from reality in that regards.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardNigma View Post
    I actually really like Hush though I still can't get why Thomas is mad at Bruce. You promised my parents would be ok and one died. He is mad that the other didn't? Maybe it is all tied to Bruce being loved by his family moreso but the whole anger over the family death thing doesn't click in my head.
    I always figures since Thomas isn't alive anymore he chose to redirect his anger at Bruce.