BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    The reviews are in and wow.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/gotham/
    Seriously?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    Seriously?!?!?!
    Is that not good?

I was all worried going into it that it wouldn't be, but seems suprisingly very positive.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    You have a very specific opinion about what happens in the real world and I just don't think it's true.

Seriously, people are getting hung up on the weirdest things. I'm on a gay forum where a guy just can not believe rich people walk through an ally. He "lives in NY and no one like that would ever" and I'm just like seriously? A guy grows up to dress like a bat but this isn't realistic?

Yes the son of a DA decided to be a police officer and be more hands on. They may have more reasons for him not following his father directly, or not. We'll see. Bruce Wayne could also go to law school and be a DA but he dresses like a bat instead.
    A couple pf years a go some economist did a comparison of fake TV homes and apts vs the salaries they make like on Friends and that Honeymooners rip off show with that fat guy who drives a UPS truck and they could literally not afford to live like that. There is the real world where 2% own all the country's wealth and the rest. If you go for realism I hit you on realism. Arrow went towards escapism and while still gritty - I don't get bothered by veering off the real world towards comic book rules world. In any case it is my opinion which I try rationalize. I don't get why people get angry in discussing how we as individuals feel about a show. I just like to discuss what I feel and why I feel it. I just don't want to say it sucked and not say why. The show is like a B- or a C+ so far on how the handled the premier. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    I don't think Gordon being rich, having a dead father whose great work for the city is referenced a lot and is now on a path of vengeance is a weird thing to get hung up on. they couldn't do a Gordon show without making him as a exactly like Batman as they can possibly get away with?
    That is as best a way to put it as I can think of. They made him Batman? WTF? Why not make the show about Batman then and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    That's not what I said. He has repeatedly posted the son of a DA would go to law school. That's all he is hung up on, that's what I am responding to.

Hell, I pointed out Gordon was Bat-like.

I wasn't making it up.
    Gordon, went into the army and college and what and has a girlfriend/wife he lives with. He is not crazy. Bruce Wayne lost his mind when his parents were killed and even though his crazy is used to fight crime - Wayne is still ...well....batty.

"In the real world a son of a DA goes to law school" isn't discussion. You're speaking as if it's an undeniable fact, which it is not.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Retired

The pilot was pretty much what I expected it to be. There were some things that surprised me, some things that I really liked and some things that I shrugged off. There were a few novel things they tried and I'm curious to see how they will pan out. But when it comes down to brass tax, the show lived up to what it promised.

Other people seem to come at the pilot with a different set of expectations that weren't realized. But I have to wonder why they had those expectations. The show is pretty much what was promised in all the trailers and previews.

And I really like ARROW--but I think it's unfair to both to compare them. ARROW is made in my hometown and I see how the production crew are doing a lot with the small budget they have to make the series look better than what the money should buy. GOTHAM clearly has more money behind it and I could see that from the first few shots in the pilot.

If ARROW tried to be GOTHAM it never would have lasted. And if GOTHAM tried to be ARROW it would lose its audience. They're both working on different levels.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    You mean like the avengers?
    Come on now. No need to bring the Avengers into the discussion.

In reality, there is a place for Rotten Tomatoes as it gives potential viewers an idea of how many people enjoy a given movie or tv show. Mind you, they do include score averages as well, although that's going to be not quite accurate since not every reviewer assigns a numerical value in their reviews.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

They look at the reviews and see if their numerical values are good or bad, 95% gave good numbers. There's no amount of math trickery that can make a fresh rating out of mostly negative reviews, the reviews were better than average so the the number reflects that most critics gave it better than average.

It's fine if you don't personally like it (not everyone's going to) but don't try to argue that no one else did when they did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    Gordon, went into the army and college and what and has a girlfriend/wife he lives with. He is not crazy. Bruce Wayne lost his mind when his parents were killed and even though his crazy is used to fight crime - Wayne is still ...well....batty.
    Crazy people don't do or accomplish what Bruce Wayne has. I strongly suggest that you read 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Crazy people don't do or accomplish what Bruce Wayne has. I strongly suggest that you read 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.
    Crazy people accomplish a lot. Crazy does not dumb you down. Bruce Wayne is monomaniacal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post

In reality, there is a place for Rotten Tomatoes as it gives potential viewers an idea of how many people enjoy a given movie or tv show. Mind you, they do include score averages as well, although that's going to be not quite accurate since not every reviewer assigns a numerical value in their reviews.
    So Rotten Tomatoes tell people there are much more critics who enjoyed the show rather than not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post

Damn it, should've used my one time hatefilled post for how much I hate Rotten Tomatoes and it's buzzfeedication of film criticism...

Finally watched the Gotham pilot and was really disappointed. It should be called GotHAM because of all its HAMfisted Bat-references and the HAMmy performances by every single cast member. Plus, I think it's kind of sad that Arrow launched as such a obvious attempt to ape Batman and that now Gotham looks and feels like an even crappier version of Arrow, even down to the freaking title card. Ugh.

BANNED

Crazy people accomplish a lot. Crazy does not dumb you down.
    A crazy person is mentally deranged who usually manifests wild and angressive behaviour. Bruce Wayne does not manifest this type of behaviour.Further I am sure that crazy people do ‘accomplish’ a lot. But most of it isn’t good or positive or anywhere on par with Bruce Wayne has done.

Bruce Wayne is monomaniacal.
    Here's the definition of monomaniacal that I found on the freedictionary.com

mon•o•ma•ni•a (mn-mn-, -mny)
    n.
    1. Pathological obsession with one idea or subject.

2. Intent concentration on or exaggerated enthusiasm for a single subject or idea.
    Bruce Wayne does many things besides being Batman. Such as running a multi-billion dollar world wide conglomerate. So I don’t know how he can be monomaniacal.