Page 17 of 198 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I didn't get "Jewish" out of it. I got Carol Kane reprising her "foreign" character from Taxi the way Cloris Leechamn has her vaguely Germanic accent she pulls out from time to time (Nanny Mueller or Malcom's grandma). I guess that makes me old.
    I was born in 1970 so I am not that young either. I know exactly the Taxi character she was playing and they went for that? WTF? So is Penguin's dad, Latka?

They could easily went with Penguin/Cobblepot was the disowned son of a rich family that was kicked out of his inheritance or some such? It would have even made the scene in the jeep (not to give any spoilers away) more compelling if they knew Penguin from their private school or some such and always used to make fun of him, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Selina finally spoke tonight. I liked how everything that comes out of Nygma's mouth was somekind of riddle.
    Yeah. Love it or hate it, that is one particular quirk that will definitely let you know it's the Riddler.

Still felt sort of annoyed seeing him first in Selina Kyle, just the way I felt with him in the Pilot. Bit awkward just sticking around like that, waiting, but my Dad was probably right about Essen. Should've said something more definitive, or clearer, so he knew to leave.

Also, amusing how Bullock and Essen say Arkham's been closed 10/15 years, and yet the trailer shows Mayor James seemingly re-opening it - and the 4th episode is called Arkham.

Also, saul-on-the-road-to-damascus, I know what you mean. And, yeah, it would be that bit scarier of a world, fictional or not, to think of more/most/all people as potential predators, sexual or otherwise, rather than blank slates, unconnected to doing us harm.

But, I admired Selinas' quick thinking there, despite it being a rather serious threat and a horrible one to be labelled with. I was hoping against hope that the various children/teenagers wouldn't have to end up going to prison, or a juvenile facility, regardless of guilt. The bus getting driven by the snatchers re-ignited that hope, that they might end up free from it, even if homeless once more, considering what lay ahead otherwise. I'm glad that, hopefully thanks to Selina herself, the snatchers taking the bus, Gordons' intervention and the fact that she saw what she did, she'll find her way to somewhere better than either the streets, or juvenile hall.

At the moment, unfortunately, I forget what I was going to say, but I just think she was desperate to get out of the situation she was in. Fast thinker, thinks on her feet, and does what she needs to in order to get by. Be it on the streets, stealing as she does, or in that police station threatening as she did. Cats have nine lives, as they say, and that reflects in her quest for survival.

One last thing I'll say is that, in a city as cruel, violent and corrupt as Gotham, with as many mental disorders/difficulties, I think it makes it that more likely and believeable that the man in question would have done it. Y'know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by WraizeM View Post
    Only 2 episodes in and I'm hooked on the show. I'm excited on seeing how they take the story and if they ever introduce the Joker or any other villains at all.
    Well, far as I know, Harvey Dent, Hugo Strange and Victor Fries are all confirmed. So, them and Zsaz are some ones to look forward to or dread.

As is perhaps Jonathan Crane and Pyg.

Loved watching Penguin. There's something extremely compelling about him. Everyone else was meh.

Incredible Member

I kind of thought that an episode entitled "Selina Kyle" should have had more of her actually in it, kind of like the latest "Godzilla" movie. But just as with that movie I still enjoyed it, and the parts she was in were compelling. Thinking back a week though I don't recall her seeing the Waynes' killer without a mask as she implied to Gordon that she did.

Barbara making the anonymous call to the press on her home phone kind of jumped out at me. No caller i.d. in this world?

And Penguin is just creepy beyond creepy. But one thing I wonder about him is whether he will come to resemble his comic book self at all in the future. He's tall and thin. Anyone think he'll eventually put on weight and maybe sustain an injury that makes him hunch over or something?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    Barbara making the anonymous call to the press on her home phone kind of jumped out at me. No caller i.d. in this world?
    Newspapers protect their sources, particulary against corrupt government organizations.

Hence why newspapers and media outlets are the firsts to go in a dictatorship.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Newspapers protect their sources, particulary against corrupt government organizations.

Hence why newspapers and media outlets are the firsts to go in a dictatorship.
    Not to mention if caller id does exist in this world, then most likely the service to block your id also exists.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

The show still has some bugs to work out and tone discrepancies (alternating between hyper-violent one scene then having campy villains in the next) but I'm hooked.

One question though. Has it been determined when this takes place? Is it supposed to be "modern day" with Bruce running around as Batman in the future? Or is this supposed to be like a decade or so ago with Batman being active in modern day?

Retired

Something I realized watching it last night is that it needs this tone to work. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's Tarantino, but it's in that ballpark. If the characters were played absolutely straight and everything was made more flat and realistic, with none of this hyper-stylization--then we would have to take all the blood and the death quite seriously. And the weight of all that in every episode would make it one of the most depressing shows on television. At times last night, I felt like the world it depicts is so bleak that it almost puts me off from watching it--but ultimately that hyper-style is what let's them get away with it. It allows us enough distance that we don't sucked into a black hole of despair.

That effect relies on how much we're willing to surrender to the tone. The two child snatchers never captured my interest--I just found them loathsome--and I'm having a hard time getting into this Selina Kyle character (something about her hair and her eyes--plus they're sending mixed signals as she's only thirteen yet apparently sexy?--how are we supposed to see her?). Morry Quillan however was an enjoyable character so he saved a lot of those scenes.

We only got a short glimpse of Butch Gizean this time--played by Drew Powell--but from last week's show I know he's a character with potential. And I know from THE MENTALIST that Powell has the ability to deliver a strong performance.

Of all the villains they could choose, I don't understand why they chose to make Penguin a lead character. But I'm starting to see what others have seen in Robin Lord Taylor. His character best demonstrates the method in their madness. The Penguin is a vicious, amoral sociopath and it should be depressing to witness his crimes, but the operatic dimensions of the villain liberate us from judging him in realistic terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Of all the villains they could choose, I don't understand why they chose to make Penguin a lead character. But I'm starting to see what others have seen in Robin Lord Taylor. His character best demonstrates the method in their madness. The Penguin is a vicious, amoral sociopath and it should be depressing to witness his crimes, but the operatic dimensions of the villain liberate us from judging him in realistic terms.
    He is the least supervillian of the batman rogues. He is a criminal sure but not a super criminal.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    He is the least supervillian of the batman rogues. He is a criminal sure but not a super criminal.
    Hasn't he also shifted away from the criminally insane Arkham crowd towards organized crime in the comics?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Loved watching Penguin. There's something extremely compelling about him. Everyone else was meh.
    I like how Cobblepot goes berserk when anyone refers to him as a penguin.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
    Hasn't he also shifted away from the criminally insane Arkham crowd towards organized crime in the comics?
    Haven't read batman in years but that show he was when I read it. Hell he his been that way since dick became nightwing.

Astonishing Member

Gotham is still the top drama in FOX, but the way ratings went down is a little worrying. If Gotham fails, it may signal an end for DC characters on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Gotham is still the top drama in FOX, but the way ratings went down is a little worrying. If Gotham fails, it may signal an end for DC characters on TV.
    I doubt the cw will be worried about gothams ratings.