Page 184 of 198 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 2958

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Yeah, it's not obvious immediately, but around season two is where it starts getting noticeably campy.
    Well ... I'm watching season 2, and it seems more soap opera than Batman. If it was at least equal parts soap (Sopranos?) and Batman, then I'd be OK, but, so far, it's more soap than the Dark Knight.

As for the campiness, it depends on how you define it, but "camp" to me means satire, as in the 1960's Batman, as opposed to superhero concepts like the march of the Penguins or Mr Freeze going on a rampage.

Thanks for merging the threads, admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    Well ... I'm watching season 2, and it seems more soap opera than Batman. If it was at least equal parts soap (Sopranos?) and Batman, then I'd be OK, but, so far, it's more soap than the Dark Knight.

As for the campiness, it depends on how you define it, but "camp" to me means satire, as in the 1960's Batman, as opposed to superhero concepts like the march of the Penguins or Mr Freeze going on a rampage.

Thanks for merging the threads, admin.
    A lot of comic books is soap opera.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    A lot of comic books is soap opera.
    Very true, In fact, the fans who remember comics without the soap opera aspects have to be pretty old. The Marvelization of comics had been in effect for a while already when I started reading comics in the '70s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Very true, In fact, the fans who remember comics without the soap opera aspects have to be pretty old. The Marvelization of comics had been in effect for a while already when I started reading comics in the '70s.
    Super Sons. Only a couple years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Super Sons. Only a couple years old.
    You misunderstood my point. There was a time when comics didn't have soap opera elements, but that was before the '60s when my parents were still in school. Since then, the majority of comics have utilized that type of story. Therefore, the TV shows are not really doing anything different.

I'm onto season 3 now, and it seems more soap opera than Batman. I'd like more Batman.

And the idea of Penguin having a homosexual crush on the Ridder? Sacrilege!

I'm almost done Season 4, and it simply isn't canon - Solomon Grundy isn't articulate, for one.

Ultimate Member

I'm almost done Season 4, and it simply isn't canon - Solomon Grundy isn't articulate, for one.
    And I honestly doubt anything from Gotham will make it's way into comics.

So what? Just enjoy the crazy ass ride.

It's great that David Mazouz is growing into "the Bat". You never know with child actors. But he is very believable as he matures.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You misunderstood my point. There was a time when comics didn't have soap opera elements, but that was before the '60s when my parents were still in school. Since then, the majority of comics have utilized that type of story. Therefore, the TV shows are not really doing anything different.
    While written much more simplistic due to the era even in the 50's Superman books were 50% Lois Lane Drama.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    While written much more simplistic due to the era even in the 50's Superman books were 50% Lois Lane Drama.
    I was about to say, the Triangle for Two romantic drama was ingrained in the Superman stories from the start, but the fifties took it to another level. Not to mention Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Diana Prince, and other heroes was notorious from trying to win over their respective romantic interests who were in love with their superhero identities. Soap Opera elements is just as ingrained in Superhero stories as adults wearing colorful outfits fighting criminals in equally goofy outfits, it almost goes hand in hand.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Who cares about canon? The show always been about doing it's own thing from episode one.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    I was about to say, the Triangle for Two romantic drama was ingrained in the Superman stories from the start, but the fifties took it to another level. Not to mention Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Diana Prince, and other heroes was notorious from trying to win over their respective romantic interests who were in love with their superhero identities. Soap Opera elements is just as ingrained in Superhero stories as adults wearing colorful outfits fighting criminals in equally goofy outfits, it almost goes hand in hand.
    Except we were talking about the Marvel-type of soap opera the late Stan Lee helped create, which isn't the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Who cares about canon? The show always been about doing it's own thing from episode one.
    If we're worrying about "canon," no television show or movie would survive inspection.

If we're worrying about "canon," no television show or movie would survive inspection.
    The comics wouldn't survive due to DC's reboots