Page 185 of 198 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 2958

Thread: Gotham TV Show

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The comics wouldn't survive due to DC's reboots
    Very true.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The comics wouldn't survive due to DC's reboots
    Yes. What exactly is canon? To me it seems like when someone is complaining it isn't canon, they just seem to be complaining it wasn't the version they read or liked the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Yes. What exactly is canon? To me it seems like when someone is complaining it isn't canon, they just seem to be complaining it wasn't the version they read or liked the most.
    I loved Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis DC not a huge fan of most of New 52 and jury still out on Rebirth era but no matter the era anything post Bronze Age Batman includes Denny O'Neills and Neal Adams run as canon period so there, whatever is official canon and my canon always.

I don't know what canon is, but it seems to be the generally accepted backgrounds. So, for example, Grundy cannot be articulate, which he is in the show.

As for whether canon is important, well, that's a matter of individual taste.

I look at is as every writer has a story to tell so there is no right or wrong version. Just that version. It is up to the reader or viewer to decide if they like or hate that version. You can hate that version but that doesn't make it the wrong version. There are times when a alternate version turns out to be the more interesting version, more logical version. A version shouldn't be limited to just one writer or editor's concept of a character. Adam West's Batman is no less valid than the Burton or Nolan's or O'Neills or Kane's Batman. Just a different version of the same basic character. Likewise Solomon Grundy on Gotham is a version that is just as entertaining as the comic book version. Just a little different.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    You misunderstood my point. There was a time when comics didn't have soap opera elements, but that was before the '60s when my parents were still in school. Since then, the majority of comics have utilized that type of story. Therefore, the TV shows are not really doing anything different.
    Comics didn't gain an adult audience until they incorporated soap opera.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I'm almost done Season 4, and it simply isn't canon - Solomon Grundy isn't articulate, for one.
    I haven't seen any glaring examples of this show contradicting itself. If it was not canon it would be doing that. It's important not to confuse "being canon" with "being the comic book." The show is its own thing, and not pretending to be anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Comics didn't gain an adult audience until they incorporated soap opera.
    I agree, AJ.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I don't see any campiness from the 1960's show; in fact, all I see is the legacy of Batman: Year One and the darkness and grittiness that came after.

Where's the campiness?
    In just one episode I saw a crazy carnival of death and a guy tied up under a tub of sulfuric acid held up by melting ice. I don't think there's a shortage of camp to be found in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    In just one episode I saw a crazy carnival of death and a guy tied up under a tub of sulfuric acid held up by melting ice. I don't think there's a shortage of camp to be found in this series.
    At times it gets a little too silly, such as Fish somehow having some sort of leverage against Dollmaker (When she really had nada), Barbara & co dealing with the fight club crowd in season 4, etc.....But, for the most part, it's a solid show which has an effective mixture of darkness & camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    At times it gets a little too silly, such as Fish somehow having some sort of leverage against Dollmaker (When she really had nada), Barbara & co dealing with the fight club crowd in season 4, etc.....But, for the most part, it's a solid show which has an effective mixture of darkness & camp.
    It's Burtonesque, but not Adam West-like.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's Burtonesque, but not Adam West-like.
    To me, it almost feels like someone won a bet with Burton and told him he had to approximate the old "Adam West" show.

One mild grumble with the first episode this season...

I was having a really tough time suspending disbelief when faced with a lay of the land where bullets had to be produced inside of Gotham.

Thinking back over the history of the show, I have a really tough time buying into a lay of the land where every crook in Gotham doesn't have about ten of those "John Winchester" storage spaces with about five years worth of ammunition in each and every one.

Just in case you have to go "One Hundred Percent Overkill" on your opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    To me, it almost feels like someone won a bet with Burton and told him he had to approximate the old "Adam West" show.
    I don't see it at all. All I see is the patented Burton weirdness that he injects into most of his films. Gotham Bruce is certainly 180% opposite of West's.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One mild grumble with the first episode this season...

I was having a really tough time suspending disbelief when faced with a lay of the land where bullets had to be produced inside of Gotham.

Thinking back over the history of the show, I have a really tough time buying into a lay of the land where every crook in Gotham doesn't have about ten of those "John Winchester" storage spaces with about five years worth of ammunition in each and every one.

Just in case you have to go "One Hundred Percent Overkill" on your opposition.
    Seeing how the earliest point we see is Day 87 I figured that criminals and police dried up their ammunition supplies real quick with the first few days being a complete and utter free for all. Where we start is likely when there's little measure of stability.

What I have a hard time believing is how empty the hospital is. With everything that's done down it should be overflowing.

Mighty Member

I loved the outfit design of Scarecrow and his henchmen.