Page 187 of 198 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 2958

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just kind of tossed the two stories into a blender, and ran with it.
    That sounds like Batman v Superman. This more sounds like combining two versions of the same story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That was sort of one of the plot points of The Dark Knight Rises. Bane blew up almost all the bridges and the government refused to let anyone out, even some people in a school bus that a cop was trying to help.
    And that was why that story was stupid. The trapping the PD in the sewer and their final charge against the bad guys was tactically stupid. Add to that Bruce's H-bomb gadget under the city. Bane was so tough. There's his fat head - shoot it.

Note that all these city takeovers seem to take place in gun control cities. Try to take over Dallas or Atlanta with a few dozen bad guys and you would see why there are 12 million assault rifles in civilian hands. Some cities actually have significant military bases integral to the city.

It is such a dumb plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    And that was why that story was stupid. The trapping the PD in the sewer and their final charge against the bad guys was tactically stupid. Add to that Bruce's H-bomb gadget under the city. Bane was so tough. There's his fat head - shoot it.

Note that all these city takeovers seem to take place in gun control cities. Try to take over Dallas or Atlanta with a few dozen bad guys and you would see why there are 12 million assault rifles in civilian hands. Some cities actually have significant military bases integral to the city.

It is such a dumb plot.
    I'm not saying TDKR had a good plot. It was disappointing ending to the trilogy. The only good part was it had a more comic book accurate Selina Kyle than previous movies with Catwoman in them.
    Was Gotham City a gun control city. It didn't seem like they were doing a very good job of controlling guns as compared to a city such as New York City. Seemed more like Detroit or Chicago.

Mighty Member

That last shot of Selina's eyes. Awesome!!!!

Ultimate Member

It is such a dumb plot.
    The problem then with Bane was that he had a nuclear weapon that he could detonate at any time, and made it known that there was someone else with the trigger. Shooting him would have solved nothing, and risked destroying the city.

The same situation is in play here. Jeremiah has bombs all over the city and can detonate them at will.

The problem here is that the bombs Jeremiah has is that they aren't nuclear, and no one's placing any priority on finding him or the bombs. He's the key that could end No Man's Land, and yet no one gives him much thought.

Fantastic Member

I think the whole Federal government not stepping in is pretty clear.

They think Gotham is effed up beyond all repair and not worth the hassle of fixing. They are walled off from the outside world so no harm done.

Plus...when you consider all the new Metas that have shown up in Gotham..it kinda makes sense to quarantine that.

Astonishing Member

No it doesn't. It is just a stupid plot device. In all of our history, the government has never act so.

BANNED

No it doesn't. It is just a stupid plot device. In all of our history, the government has never act so.
    Our government has a long history of quarantining large groups of people it irrationally worries are a threat, right up to current events. The thought they might want to quarantine a group that is rationally a threat is not difficult to imagine. Not that I'm saying this is what the show is striving for.

Fantastic Member

In a world where a city like Gotham exists...I don't think you can apply historical norms to a fictional government.

Besides...

Japanese Internment Camps
    Native American Reservations

etc.

I say this as someone who loves the USA and is proud to be an american...forming a committee is almost exactly what I would expect our government to do.

We see the same type of thing in the Arrowverse with Star City. Gotham has never resembled a real world city.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    We see the same type of thing in the Arrowverse with Star City. Gotham has never resembled a real world city.
    I think Gotham's a little better in *ahem* realism. No one's trying to blow up a plane to kill one person, or nuke a city to kill an army of somewhat tough guys.

Astonishing Member

I grant you that this is a fictional universe but sometimes it get ridiculous. As I said, DC uses this a bit and it's stupid. When a government gives up control of significant parts of the country, it fails. If you recall, when the South seceded, the Union fielded a tremendous armed force and took it back. Today, we could take back either Star City or Gotham despite the shenanigans of the villains.

If we go for historical precdents in the USA during Western times, when bad cowboys tried to take over a town, they were shot to pieces by the citizens. Where I live, the stores are full of AR-15s and numerous other guns. Running around like a ninja and announcing you are taking over the city and you will die. Many of the citizens are veterans and not intimidated by funny suits.

I can take all the ridiculousness in Gotham because they frame it in campy plots with larger-than-life characters. Hardly anything about it resembles reality, why would I worry about one single thing not resembling reality?
    Live true or lie well.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    I can take all the ridiculousness in Gotham because they frame it in campy plots with larger-than-life characters. Hardly anything about it resembles reality, why would I worry about one single thing not resembling reality?
    It's the only way to watch really.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The problem then with Bane was that he had a nuclear weapon that he could detonate at any time, and made it known that there was someone else with the trigger. Shooting him would have solved nothing, and risked destroying the city.

The same situation is in play here. Jeremiah has bombs all over the city and can detonate them at will.

The problem here is that the bombs Jeremiah has is that they aren't nuclear, and no one's placing any priority on finding him or the bombs. He's the key that could end No Man's Land, and yet no one gives him much thought.
    It's been established from the start that there hasn't been any sightings of Jeremiah since the blackout started. Without any activity on his end and the city going to hell tracking him is a bitch.

The plot doesn't seem to care too much about Leslie. I wonder where she is.