Page 44 of 198 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Lightbulb The Ventriloquist: Villainy Prospect

I'd like to see an introduction of the Ventriloquist on "Gotham" (Fox TV).

The Ventriloquist (Arnold Wesker) is a fictional character, an enemy of Batman in the DC Comics Universe. The Ventriloquist first appeared in Detective Comics #583 (February 1988) and was created by Alan Grant, John Wagner and Norm Breyfogle (source of information: Wikipedia).

A meek, quiet man named Arnold Wesker (the first Ventriloquist) plans and executes his crimes through a dummy named Scarface the Puppet, with the dress and persona of a 1920s gangster (complete with pinstripe suit, cigar, and Tommy gun). His name comes from the nickname of Al Capone, after whom Scarface is modeled. Born into a powerful mafia family, Wesker develops dissociative identity disorder after seeing his mother assassinated by thugs from a rival family. Growing up, his only outlet is ventriloquism (source of information: Wikipedia).

The Ventriloquist is a great and unusual Batman villain. He represents a focus on general lifestyle angst and corruption in the modern gangster-dominion city. His use of the puppet symbolizes a perception of teamwork gone astray --- an evil little buddy.

In a Gotham City that can be over-run by instincts of "every man or criminal for himself/herself," the Ventriloquist reminds us of the intrinsic and seductive profitability of the proverbial 'Gambling Game' (i.e., capitalism turned into daredevil profiteerism). He's the perfect crime-master's Risk Assessment Devil's Advocate.

I'd like to see an offbeat actor such as Chris Elliot (famed for his unusual psycho-comedic performances) play the Ventriloquist on "Gotham" (Fox TV), and I'm still waiting for a nice introduction of Ra's al Ghul (perhaps portrayed by a respected TV actor such as David Duchovny of X-Files fame).

The Ventriloquist

ventriloquist.jpg

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    I'd like to think that Jim will have some successes but ultimately Gotham will get worse.
    The successes Gordon will have involve cleaning up the GCPD so when he's leading it they can handle more of what Batman drops off for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    Black Mask is a mantle that's been worn by more than one person, isn't he? So maybe this guy who's a good 30 years older than Bruce won't be the Black Mask that Batman one day faces. (Not that we'll see that happen. Or Hush for that matter.).
    I believe in the comics it's Roman Sionis who Batman fights and this was Richard Sionis who could be Roman's dad, or uncle or future grandad if they want Black Mask to be even younger than Batman, LOL
    According to Wiki, Roman decides to carve a mask out of his dad's coffin and wear that. So Black Mask doesn't have to wear the one that this Mask did.
    Actually for a second I thought Roman was the kid who Tommy was hanging with tormenting Bruce.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 11-13-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Actually for a second I thought Roman was the kid who Tommy was hanging with tormenting Bruce.
    Yeah, I thought that as well. would have brought the two subplots together neatly.

Incredible Member

Anyone think the girl that smiled and said hi to Bruce at school was anyone important (Vicky Vale for instance), or just a generic girl?

Also, Chris Elliot as the Ventriloquist sounds perfect to me. But David Duchovny as Ras- not so much.
    Last edited by Kensei; 11-13-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I remember loads of DC comics from the '60s, where the heroes or villains were made to fight for the entertainment of an audience. In fact, the GOTHAM episode--with the rich people watching on closed circuit TV--made me think of those comics.

Virtually every episode of GOTHAM has been a mash-up of elements from comic books, movies and TV shows. That seems to be the formula. It's supposed to make you think of other things. I guess that's its post-modernist irony at work.
    I know this likely wouldn't be 60s, but Mojo and the X-Men, or Mojo and Hawkeye and Hulk in the show Avengers Assemble, reminds me of it.

And, I've only come across both Tommy Elliot and Hush in Batman: Hush, in full, so I don't really know beyond that, but is Tommy always that much of a bully, or jerk? And, anyone else reminded of Dane Dehaan, or Harry Osborn in TASM2, with him here?

Also, how do we know someone isn't minding Tommy in the absence of his parents, like Alfred for Bruce. So, how do we know they wouldn't help him the same way Alfred did here?

Liked how Bruce stood up for both his mother, and himself, here, and that Alfred stepped in before he went too far. Can be like the Bruce/Alfred relationship of the future, or Batman and Nightwing, Batman and Robin, Batman and Red Robin, etc. Someone to back him up, but to limit him, in his methods, or anger.

Did Barbara really leave Jim at the end, or break, or just heading out for a bit, and explained that, in the letter?

Also, anyone else feel like Oswald has his own little group now, for his tricks and treats? Know it from Penguins' Umbrella, I believe, and they are Maronis', to an EXTENT. WOnder will they be kept as Penguin, and established crime boss, or just let go, or killed, once they've outlived their usefullness?

Retired

The X-Men's Danger Room is a kind of fight club. And I remember the Legion of Super-Heroes having similar intense workouts.

Just as we saw a "Joker" doing his stand-up routine in the pilot, I think they could have a ventriloquist act at Fish Mooney's place. But I don't think it should go further than that.

I really find Fish Mooney's place an oddball joint. It's not a place I could imagine being successful in the real world.

I predict that Barbara will be back. She keeps saying she's going to leave, but then she never does. Or it will be like Silver St. Cloud. Remember when Silver St. Cloud left Gotham only to meet the Joker on the road? It could be something like that.

The X-Men's Danger Room is a kind of fight club. And I remember the Legion of Super-Heroes having similar intense workouts.

Just as we saw a "Joker" doing his stand-up routine in the pilot, I think they could have a ventriloquist act at Fish Mooney's place. But I don't think it should go further than that.

I really find Fish Mooney's place an oddball joint. It's not a place I could imagine being successful in the real world.

I predict that Barbara will be back. She keeps saying she's going to leave, but then she never does. Or it will be like Silver St. Cloud. Remember when Silver St. Cloud left Gotham only to meet the Joker on the road? It could be something like that.
    A weird, but interesting, question. Of all the places in Gotham, the show, which one would you willingly visit?

And, was that Batman: The Animated Series? If so, yeah, that was a good one. Fecked up ending though.

Lightbulb Train Doctor

I remember the Hollywood (USA) movie "Speed" (1994) in which a madman (Dennis Hopper) proposed to a slick cop (Keanu Reeves) that if a certain passenger bus sped over a certain speed marking, a bomb planted underneath the bus would go off. This entertaining film represents a general society fascination with using fantasy-adventure stories to re-present the everyday labors associated with city traffic.

"Gotham" (Fox TV) is not disappointing so far, and truly, we can use its storyboards and cityscape settings to imagine the ins-and-outs of various populism-detailed American cities such as Boston (Massachusetts), Chicago (Illinois), and New York City (New York).

There's a great focus on a city train in the Hollywood (USA) movie "Batman Begins" (2005), and perhaps "Gotham" (Fox TV) will pay the right attention to city public transportation infrastructure paranoia, perhaps reflecting our real world traffic concerns about consumerism 'gluttonies' and 'demands' with respect to pedestrianism-themed convenience restaurant chains such as Subway (the beloved quick personalized sandwich-n-hoagie business).

Subway (Restaurant)

ra's.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    The successes Gordon will have involve cleaning up the GCPD so when he's leading it they can handle more of what Batman drops off for them.

I believe in the comics it's Roman Sionis who Batman fights and this was Richard Sionis who could be Roman's dad, or uncle or future grandad if they want Black Mask to be even younger than Batman, LOL
    According to Wiki, Roman decides to carve a mask out of his dad's coffin and wear that. So Black Mask doesn't have to wear the one that this Mask did.

If hey stick to the comics at all he would have to be an Uncle or cousin. Romans father ran Janus Cosmetics not a investment company or whatever they did. Roman also killed both his parents. So if that was suppose to be his dad they already changed a lot. Would make sense if the other Kid was Roman because he and Bruce were "Forced" friends as children.

When they had the Viper episode I thought Freeze woulda been in it. I honestly predicted they would go to a renowned molecular biologist for help and it would be Victor Fries. Still think he will show up just because how easily he could be portrayed. Him and Nora at a social event or he can consult on a case as a molecular Biologist. Scarecrows "Father" is appearing later in the season. I bet we either get a direct reference to Bane or his father Durdance as if Venom wasn't enough. Honestly Mr Freeze,Dr Kirk Langstrom(ManBat),Mad Hatter, and a few others will probably be referenced before the seasons over. The girl who said hi to Bruce is probably Vikki Vale or Harleen Quinzell. Im just gonna assume that everyone they show is somebody from the comics lol. It good in some cases but just over done in others. I appreciate the fan service they do with the Easter Eggs but they need to save some stuff for later.

I do hope they have a circus episode coming up. Have Waylan as a young boy with a rare disease giving him scales in it. It the only way ill ever see a live action Killer Croc most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    If hey stick to the comics at all he would have to be an Uncle or cousin. Romans father ran Janus Cosmetics not a investment company or whatever they did. Roman also killed both his parents. So if that was suppose to be his dad they already changed a lot. Would make sense if the other Kid was Roman because he and Bruce were "Forced" friends as children.

When they had the Viper episode I thought Freeze woulda been in it. I honestly predicted they would go to a renowned molecular biologist for help and it would be Victor Fries. Still think he will show up just because how easily he could be portrayed. Him and Nora at a social event or he can consult on a case as a molecular Biologist. Scarecrows "Father" is appearing later in the season. I bet we either get a direct reference to Bane or his father Durdance as if Venom wasn't enough. Honestly Mr Freeze,Dr Kirk Langstrom(ManBat),Mad Hatter, and a few others will probably be referenced before the seasons over. The girl who said hi to Bruce is probably Vikki Vale or Harleen Quinzell. Im just gonna assume that everyone they show is somebody from the comics lol. It good in some cases but just over done in others. I appreciate the fan service they do with the Easter Eggs but they need to save some stuff for later.

I do hope they have a circus episode coming up. Have Waylan as a young boy with a rare disease giving him scales in it. It the only way ill ever see a live action Killer Croc most likely.
    Ah, you can assume that on the girl if you'd like, but I'd prefer if they had Harley be a bit older. Make it so she's 25, or 26, and Joker's 27, or 28, when Bruce starts as Batman. Still up to them, but preference therein.

And, sure, if the Lizard could be adapted for the big screen in The Amazing Spider-Man, just two years or so ago now, then why not Killer Croc, whether as a main villain, a secondary antagonist, or a one-shot foe, in a Batman film, like Green Goblin and Electro, or Rhino?

Be a nice sight, one day, but who knows? Love to see Man-Bat first.

Astonishing Member

Anybody think the gun fight in the precinct room was stupid? The bad guy shooters had the real world tactical skill of chimps. If Gordon was imbued with reasonable marksmanship, he should have killed all of them. It was a sour note.

Also, there are no Liberty Head pennies for Goaty to implant. Need some consultants here.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Roman doesn't kill his parent until later, so his dad being alive now isn't an issue. Adaptions change things, in Smallville they had Lionel be the one to kill his parents for the money instead of Lex (who ran Luthorcop instead of Lexcorp) Roman could still have his dad in jail killed (or he just gets killed in jail). The Sionises might lose a lot of money with Richard going to jail so the last bit Roman gets is from offing his mother for an insurance policy.

Originally he was a guy with a skin disorder (different Wiki's list it differently, one saying it's Epidermolytic hyperkeratosis while another says it's Atavism)

And with the popularity of American Horror Story: Freak Show I think that could be a good way to bring him in.

I wonder how successful it is on the show? I remember for long time there was a taco place in my hometown that never seemed to have any business and we used to joke it must be a drug front or else they couldn't pay rent. Mind you, with the mix of eras on the show there may still be plenty of people who go for an old style nightclub (or she has plenty of associates who pay her for drinks so they can do business there) It could just be what she does to have something to tell the IRS.

Is this really how Alfred cultured Bruce to become batman... and Tommy... they just deflated everything that made him Hush and gave it to Bruce..

Astonishing Member

So do you think, they are going to introduce any powers or magic into the show? Is it going to be like early Arrow with no powers?

That's kind of let down for the DCU. Even early on, the DCU had all kinds of weird stuff happening.

To repeat myself, the gunfight in the precinct was a jump the shark moment. While police are corrupt, they would not put up with such a blatant display that lowers their self-image. Also, such a blatant display would eventually bring in state authorities and/or the Feds.

While corruption is rampant - the show is overdoing it. They could have gotten Jim in a reasonably more subtle way. Also, one flaw in the Batman world is no one knows how to shoot. Anyone not invulnerable will be killed easily in our world. So why can't they do that in the Bats world? Just PIS.

BANNED

They already had super strength from the Viper drug, so they aren't ruling out superpowers.