Page 14 of 198 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Just re-watching Gotham now, at the scene where the hooded fella and Falcone and co enter.

Butch says to Bullock and Gordon that if it was up to him, he/they would get a bullet in the head and a decent funeral.

Not sure, before Falcone and co showed up, what exactly the intention was, in completeness, of the cleaver and all. And if the hooded fella is just an imposing figure working for Fish, or someone from the DC Multiverse/Batman mythos we're supposed to know.

Also, anyone else think that thing Butch said was a bit... decent, for a criminal? Of course, he might've been one of those that asked Oswald to ease up on beating your man from the alley, but still odd, I think.

And, when Mooney's attacking him, after figuring out it was him who grassed, was she giving out to him, saying 'YOU. BROKE. MY. FOOT!'?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Oh, and this might seem like a trivial complaint, but I felt there were one too many city overviews throughout the episode. They can be nice and all, but I just felt that there was a bit too many in this one.

Hopefully cut down on it in episodes to come.
    Ha! Johnny LaRue--SCTV--crane shot--POLYNESIAN TOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Ha! Johnny LaRue--SCTV--crane shot--POLYNESIAN TOWN.
    .... What?

Retired

For those too young to have seen SCTV (which seems impossible--since it's been repeated in syndication)--POLYNESIANTOWN was a kind of parody of Polanski's CHINATOWN. SCTV regular blowhard Johnny LaRue (played by John Candy) is trying to make his own magnum opus--POLYNESIANTOWN--but he insists on having his own dazzling crane shot--which puts the movie over budget and gets him grief from the network.

I can't see a crane shot without thinking of the wonderful Johnny LaRue. Of course, GOTHAM probably doesn't use real crane shots (they can do so much with computers these days), but it's the same idea.

Astonishing Member

Sorry, never seen SCTV ( even in reruns) but that does explain it perfectly. sounds like a funny bit.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    it's the fact that they used sledgehammer subtlety in telegraphing them to the audience.
    I like AoS but I didn't see them being much more subtle, unless "WE'RE IN THE MCU TOO" is subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Oh, and this might seem like a trivial complaint, but I felt there were one too many city overviews throughout the episode. They can be nice and all, but I just felt that there was a bit too many in this one.
    I think even they were saying they put everything in the pilot they could. They want to show off that CGI hybrid city they've made but hopefully they know we've seen it now and can just let it be on it's own merits. We'll find out Monday night.

Incredible Member

It's a bit jarring to see Renee Montoya as the same rank (or senior to) Gordon and Bullock.

The Poison Ivy cameo felt really gratuitous. And come on, her name is Pamely Isley! You know the people making this show had to know stuff like that.

O.C. Guy is doing alright so far, but Donal Louge is certainly carrying more of the load.

Gordon's future wife is a bit too model-y, IMO, and is it just me or does that look like an ridiculously expensive apartment. Never thought of him marrying into wealth.

Nygma and Oswald look a little too similar. And I'm not wild about this portrayal of Oswald at all. I'm seriously wondering if they originally considering having someone in this role who'd probably be named Jack.

I think Jada Pinkett (I didn't recognize her in the ads, was surprised to realize she's in this) was deliberately channeling just a bit of Eartha Kitt at times.

Selena skulking around Wayne Manor is a thing that I hope gets dropped fairly soon. But, on the young Wayne front, I do hope we see Leslie Thompkins at some point. And maybe even Tommy Elliot, he could be the "bad influence" in Bruce's life.

I like this version of Carmine Falcone better than Nolans. Tom Wilkinson is a fine actor, but his Falcone seemed like he could have been a cabbie, not a regal crime lord.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Has a pilot ever been the best of a series or even one of the better episodes of the season?

Lost
    Last edited by Jared; 09-28-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    It's a bit jarring to see Renee Montoya as the same rank (or senior to) Gordon and Bullock.

The Poison Ivy cameo felt really gratuitous. And come on, her name is Pamely Isley! You know the people making this show had to know stuff like that.

Gordon's future wife is a bit too model-y, IMO, and is it just me or does that look like an ridiculously expensive apartment. Never thought of him marrying into wealth.

Nygma and Oswald look a little too similar. And I'm not wild about this portrayal of Oswald at all

I think Jada Pinkett (I didn't recognize her in the ads, was surprised to realize she's in this) was deliberately channeling just a bit of Eartha Kitt at times.

Selena skulking around Wayne Manor is a thing that I hope gets dropped fairly soon. But, on the young Wayne front, I do hope we see Leslie Thompkins at some point. And maybe even Tommy Elliot, he could be the "bad influence" in Bruce's life.

Lost
    Oh holy crap Tommy Elliot! Thats a freaking great idea. Send that to FOX!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Oh holy crap Tommy Elliot! Thats a freaking great idea. Send that to FOX!
    True. No reason why Tommy Elliot can't show up in Gotham. When you think about it, showing up Tommy before Selina and all the other Batman villains would have made more sense. Recently, Hush made his NEW 52 debut in Batman Eternal. I hope you are taking notes Fox.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

They've apparently decided to add an extra layer of her being taken from the Pepper family and placed with the Isleys later on (which could explain her taking Ivy as her villain name).
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...-is-ivy-pepper
    Whether that's necessary or not is up to debate but they have a reason for it.

Lost.
    Well, that was more the series not living up to it's pilot. In my opinion. Sometimes mysteries are more exciting than their answers, so hopefully they don't answer who the Joker really is.

I agree I'd like to see Dr Thompkins and Tommy is a character that makes sense being there. Maybe they have plans but he isn't know enough mainstream to make a big deal of.
    "Catwoman, Riddler, Poison Ivy, Hush" people be like "did he just tell me to hush?"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    True. No reason why Tommy Elliot can't show up in Gotham. When you think about it, showing up Tommy before Selina and all the other Batman villains would have made more sense. Recently, Hush made his NEW 52 debut in Batman Eternal. I hope you are taking notes Fox.

Ya I hope he shows up, but in all honesty most of the general public have no idea who hush is. But that being said regardless he would be a great jerkface for bruce to have to hang out with.

BANNED

Ya I hope he shows up, but in all honesty most of the general public have no idea who hush is. But that being said regardless he would be a great jerkface for bruce to have to hang out with.
    More the reason to introduce him. Everybody knows the jerkwad making riddles will grow up to become the Riddler, Tommy Elliot's eventual decscent into villany would become a surprise for those who don't know the comics and a ''when will the other shoe drop'' for the ones who do.

I can't believe how invested I am after just one episode. I was a cynic before but I haven't been able to stop thinking about the show.

Amazing Member

Sorry, but I hate that pilot

Hate the comic booky dialogue, hate the name droppings. The show seems can't focus whether to be realistic gritty cop drama, or the CW super hero soap. It feels like Arrow without the cool 'superhero' action, and that's a bad thing. Because cool superhero action was the one thing that make me able to stomach the cast wooden acting. Yes, I don't see why we can't compare it with Arrow. I always like the escalation idea in Begins, and it seems off to me that all that villain already in Gothamwayy before Batman shows up. The only good thing about it is Logue, and McKenzie to some degree. I like his Gordon, but everything else just doesn't do it for me.
    Oh and one other reason I can watch Arrow is that it show character never seen on TV before, while Gotham, it's the nth interpretation of how Bruce Wayne parents got killed and leads to Batman. Unfortunately this interpretation doesn't show anything interesting for me

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Has a pilot ever been the best of a series or even one of the better episodes of the season?
    For pilots, I thought this was one of the more decent ones. Not perfect but better than average.
    Usually they are. At least in scripted television. That's the hook that's supposed to get you on board for the rest of the series. If it's all exposition and world-building, without that hook, most people don't bother tuning in (or in these days streaming) for the second episode. It also helps that they usually work on writing and rehearsing that pilot episode a lot longer than subsequent episodes.

BANNED

Ok lol ok. So based on watching the first episode you have decided it wont last wait for it........ more than three seasons. Now thats interesting why did you pick three seasons lol. Based on what? If the first episode was sooooooo bad why didnt you say one season or a half a season or two seasons? LOL. My head hurts.
    Maybe too much use of the lol acronym? I say 3 seasons because it's drawing from one of the most successful franchises in the genre, the world of Batman. It also has some big name actors (and the possibility of Jada's husband or, gods help us, her children making cameo appearances probably has the network smiling). So three seasons. If it were Aquaman with a pilot of this strength I'd give it the season.