Page 11 of 198 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly T View Post
    Finally watched the Gotham pilot and was really disappointed. It should be called GotHAM because of all its HAMfisted Bat-references and the HAMmy performances by every single cast member. Plus, I think it's kind of sad that Arrow launched as such a obvious attempt to ape Batman and that now Gotham looks and feels like an even crappier version of Arrow, even down to the freaking title card. Ugh.
    I thought Arrow is perhaps the best superhero comic book adaptation of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    A crazy person is mentally deranged who usually manifests wild and angressive behaviour. Bruce Wayne does not manifest this type of behaviour.Further I am sure that crazy people do ‘accomplish’ a lot. But most of it isn’t good or positive or anywhere on par with Bruce Wayne has done.

Here's the definition of monomaniacal that I found on the freedictionary.com

Bruce Wayne does many things besides being Batman. Such as running a multi-billion dollar world wide conglomerate. So I don’t know how he can be monomaniacal.
    Cut the batshit. Bruce Wayne has people run his business empire he inherited.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I thought Arrow is perhaps the best superhero comic book adaptation of all time.
    Arrow is the best superhero comic book adaption of all time for TV. Gotham is OK so far and it may get better. Now if they use a Grey Ghost like customed vigilante in this to inspire Bruce I would be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    So you can't become a force of vengeance by becoming a DA? Listen, being a cop is grunt work - it's like being a construction worker with a badge. People who are DA's are upper middle class at least. In the real world a son of a DA goes to law school. And if you want to use the argument that Gordon's family could not afford law school since the dad died - Gordon is a vet and war hero - so he has the GI Bill and the ability to go to top law schools probably for free on scholarship since he is a war hero. It just seems they made Gordon rich (or with a rich wife) as some sort of Bruce Wayne stand in where he lives the high life and then goes into the gritty Gotham streets? It was a wrong note for his character.
    My mother is a lawyer, and I never once considered going to law school, nor was I ever pushed to.

That's just one of the most bizarre things I've ever read.

I'm glad to see Pauly T say, however they feel about it, how reminescent, or similar to, Arrows' title card Gothams' was.

I felt very much the same way myself. The music, the medium speed close in, the moving images, like the flash of police lights on the name. The way the word itself was actually written. All that.

I would've actually preferred if there was the pour of rain, around the title, rather than the flash of lights. The latter makes sense, but the downpour works with mood, looks nice and is something I remember from the odd promo for Gotham, which I liked, but there you go.

BANNED

Just saw the show this morning and thought it was ... fine. I agree that the dialogue was often corny, most notably when Gordon was talking to Bruce at the crime scene and Nygma's dialogue. On the other hand, I thought Falcone's dialogue was pretty gripping to listen to.

I thought Cobblepot was the star of the show. To me, seeing his rise is more interesting than seeing Gordon's. Bullock was pretty good. I like the kid playing Bruce Wayne. On the flipside, the guy playing Gordon was sometimes decent but usually he was just "there". Nygma was better than I expected but hamstrung by bad dialogue. Alfred ... just seemed like a complete ass. For one thing, it's weird to hear him say the word "mate" but for another, it's awkward as hell to hear him cracking snarky one-liners while Gordon is trying to tell Bruce that he killed the wrong man. You'd think he'd have some sympathy.

So ... who else got the vibe that Barbara was Renee Montoya's ex-girlfriend?

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guest_1001 View Post

Yeah, wasn't Montoya a lesbian in the comics too?
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Incredible Member

Just saw the show this morning and thought it was ... fine. I agree that the dialogue was often corny, most notably when Gordon was talking to Bruce at the crime scene and Nygma's dialogue. On the other hand, I thought Falcone's dialogue was pretty gripping to listen to.
    I guess I sort of agree about some of the language but then again I actually know a couple of guys in real life who talk and act the way Nygma did because they think they're being funny. And as for Gordon talking to Bruce, well, Bruce is like ten years old. I have a friend with a six year old daughter and talking to her is great fun but I do have to use pretty corny language.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Huston View Post
    My mother is a lawyer, and I never once considered going to law school, nor was I ever pushed to.

That's just one of the most bizarre things I've ever read.
    It is bizarre for someone to think a DA is the same thing as a lawyer. Class barriers are real things. What I don't get is why people don't understand what makes the Batman/Gotham mythos so compelling.

Gordon here is represented as a rich man's son (DA's tend to be upper class and connected) who is 'slumming' in Gotham as a cop. That destroys what makes Gordon unique.

Gordon is a blue collar working stiff cop from a long line of cops who value duty and honor. If he is rich - and by what the TV show showed - he is rich - then him being honest is just because he is rich enough not to be tempted with bribes. That does not make him a noble cop at all.

And now we have 2 rich white men defending Gotham rather than what made the Batman/Wayne and Gordon connection so unique - a blue collar civil servant in league with the upper class blue blood Bruce Wayne.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 09-27-2014 at 06:03 PM.

I thought Cobblepot was the star of the show. To me, seeing his rise is more interesting than seeing Gordon's. Bullock was pretty good. I like the kid playing Bruce Wayne. On the flipside, the guy playing Gordon was sometimes decent but usually he was just "there". Nygma was better than I expected but hamstrung by bad dialogue. Alfred ... just seemed like a complete ass. For one thing, it's weird to hear him say the word "mate" but for another, it's awkward as hell to hear him cracking snarky one-liners while Gordon is trying to tell Bruce that he killed the wrong man. You'd think he'd have some sympathy.

I think for Alfred they want to go and do a street wise Brit - ex army? Cockney. Sort of the way a younger Cockney Michael Caine would be like. If they made Alfred like a turn of the century British butler it would feel off in the modern world.

Retired

Alfred in the '40s talks like a working class Londoner (allowing for American stereotypes). It's clear he's comes from humble beginnings. It's only later that writers give him the lingo of an Oxford don. Cobblepot by contrast talked in those days like a Brit with upper class pretensions (quoting Shakespeare and Keats).

A lot about the TV show is subjective. It seems to me they want to create a stylized feeling to the show--so it has one foot in reality but another in art. So the language, the camera work, the plots all contribute to an aesthetic they are creating. You don't second guess Picasso why he gives a woman a third breast.

If this aesthetic experiment should go off the rails later, at that time they should be judged. But it's too early to limit their artistic freedom. There are a lot of movies and television shows that have been judged harshly on first viewing, only later to be praised for their distinctive vision.

It's those little flashes of the surreal that will make me tune in the second episode. Television by the numbers is boring.

Astonishing Member

Alfred not being a traditional type butler Is an interesting point. It would be weird to see a 'traditional' butler help a kid train to be a costumed vigilante, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    A crazy person is mentally deranged who usually manifests wild and angressive behaviour. Bruce Wayne does not manifest this type of behaviour.Further I am sure that crazy people do ‘accomplish’ a lot. But most of it isn’t good or positive or anywhere on par with Bruce Wayne has done.

Here's the definition of monomaniacal that I found on the freedictionary.com

Bruce Wayne does many things besides being Batman. Such as running a multi-billion dollar world wide conglomerate. So I don’t know how he can be monomaniacal.
    He is a little monomaniacal... Batman always been just a little bit crazy. When I watched the showing, actually seeing a kid standing on a roof and holding his hand in a candle, trying to toughen himself up, and that sort of thing will probably keep happening, it makes batman seem even 'crazier'.

Whoever said penguin was the star, I can kinda see that. The power struggle between penguin and fish should be very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Alfred not being a traditional type butler Is an interesting point. It would be weird to see a 'traditional' butler help a kid train to be a costumed vigilante, too.

He is a little monomaniacal... Batman always been just a little bit crazy. When I watched the showing, actually seeing a kid standing on a roof and holding his hand in a candle, trying to toughen himself up, and that sort of thing will probably keep happening, it makes batman seem even 'crazier'.

Whoever said penguin was the star, I can kinda see that. The power struggle between penguin and fish should be very interesting...
    I hope they keep the angle of Cobblepot being from an upper class family of blue bloods that either disowned him or lost their fortune somehow. The rich vs poor Gotham should be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    Yeah, wasn't Montoya a lesbian in the comics too?
    Is Barbara bi? Because it looks like she may have a cop fetish more so than being bi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    Is Barbara bi? Because it looks like she may have a cop fetish more so than being bi.
    uh, probably both.