Page 13 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    How dare you put this idea out into the universe.

Would there a Gotham show if not for the heavy focus on Jim Gordon in Nolan's trilogy? Can you honestly say Gotham isn't coattail riding when the show is using Batman's cache to tell a story where he doesn't even exist yet(and isn't likely to appear)? And given we've only got one episode in the bucket you don't really know that you'll think any better of this than you do AOS, I mean aside from the obvious draw everyone has in seeing easter eggs(again because of the popularity of the Bat brand). AOS first season didn't have nearly as many heavy handed comic references as Gotham's first episode.
    Would there be a gotham show if not for Gordon in the Dark Knight? I dont know man thats way more of a stretch than a show that has directly kicked off and is tied into a movie franchise. All of these shows are by products of successful movie franchises. But again what it boils down to is what is the better show. We shall see, but based on what I have seen and hey this may be more of a personal preference its gotham.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

AOS first season didn't have nearly as many heavy handed comic references as Gotham's first episode.
    Then you weren't paying attention to AOS
    Centipede used all the formulas from Captain America to Hulk in making that gadget they put on Mike's arm.

Let's just be honest, both Marvel and DC are riding what successes they had from movies into TV. DC turned Nolan's movies into "Bat-Arrow" and now "Gotham" (with a dash of Man of Steel [and Smallville] coming in "Flash") and Marvel has turned Avengers and Iron Man into "Agents of Shield" and stuff coming to Netflix.

Show was ok. Basically just a Cop Drama with comic book names tossed in. The bit with the CatGirl on the fence at the end was laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Then you weren't paying attention to AOS
    Centipede used all the formulas from Captain America to Hulk in making that gadget they put on Mike's arm.
    Those were plot points that tied together elements from the various movies to create a sense of continuity for the Deathlok/HYDRA arc not wink, wink, nudge, nudge "Get it?!" easter eggs like in the Gotham pilot.

Astonishing Member

Those were plot points that tied together elements from the various movies to create a sense of continuity for the Deathlok/HYDRA arc not wink, wink, nudge, nudge "Get it?!" easter eggs like in the Gotham pilot.
    Honestly I dont know what to say. The whole show agents of shield is a giant continuing easter egg to the marvel movie universe. Its a GIANT EGG that would not even be on TV if it was not for the marvel movie universe. An EGG that was created by the marvel movie universe. So to say that Gotham has easter eggs when its a show set in Gotham the most famous city in DC for cripes sake. I mean really? Would you like writers not to have easter eggs in a show that is a prelude to batman showing up? My head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    The bit with the CatGirl on the fence at the end was laughable.
    In broad daylight and with few trees around, too.

Edit: as for the Gotham vs. AoS name-dropping issue, I find it more tolerable in Gotham. When AoS did it (at least in the first half of the season), it'd always be something like, "Cap's on a mission" or "Something Stark was working on." Their name-dropping was for people that aren't characters on the show, and a blatant, unabashed reminder that the show was linked to the movies. Here, while it's a tad unbelieveable that so many of Gotham's rogues are about two degrees away from Bruce, they're at least full characters with full participation in their own right - Ivy, Oswald, even Nygma, are integrated and used. Cameos like "Grundy" street are nothing new in comic-book TV, but that's just a playful mention, and not meant to serve any further function, unlike AoS.
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-28-2014 at 01:03 AM.

BANNED

Just watched the Pilot episode. Terrible acting, especially Gordon. Feel bad for Logue, he's doing all the heavy lifting and everyone else (including Jada, though she's still looking good) act at a daytime Soap Opera level. Seems like a typical CW show (was surprised it's on Fox). I'll give a few more episodes in hopes that it gets better, I'd like to see it succeed, but usually a Pilot episode is designed to hook you in for more run-of-the-mill episodes. If this is the good one, I don't see the show lasting 3 seasons even with the Bat-mythos to play with.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    but usually a Pilot episode is designed to hook you in for more run-of-the-mill episodes. If this is the good one, I don't see the show lasting 3 seasons even with the Bat-mythos to play with.
    Has a pilot ever been the best of a series or even one of the better episodes of the season?
    For pilots, I thought this was one of the more decent ones. Not perfect but better than average.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Just watched the Pilot episode. Terrible acting, especially Gordon. Feel bad for Logue, he's doing all the heavy lifting and everyone else (including Jada, though she's still looking good) act at a daytime Soap Opera level. Seems like a typical CW show (was surprised it's on Fox). I'll give a few more episodes in hopes that it gets better, I'd like to see it succeed, but usually a Pilot episode is designed to hook you in for more run-of-the-mill episodes. If this is the good one, I don't see the show lasting 3 seasons even with the Bat-mythos to play with.
    Ok lol ok. So based on watching the first episode you have decided it wont last wait for it........ more than three seasons. Now thats interesting why did you pick three seasons lol. Based on what? If the first episode was sooooooo bad why didnt you say one season or a half a season or two seasons? LOL. My head hurts.

Astonishing Member

Strong ratings, strong reviews and pretty good fan service.
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...atings/307575/

· The premiere episode of GOTHAM jumped +1.8 ratings points in the L3s to a 5.0 rating in Adults 18-49 (up +56% from same day). This far exceeds our original projection of a 4.5 rating in the L3s.

· After only 3 days of delayed viewing, GOTHAM out-rated Scorpion (4.6) by a significant margin and tied the season premiere of The Voice

· GOTHAM also outperformed the season premiere of Blacklist (4.9 rating), making it Monday’s #1 drama in the core adult demo.

BANNED

Alright, so I've seen the pilot.

Dialogue is a bit on the nose sometimes (particularly the way the forensic scientist bopped around like a chucklehead speaking in questions). But the characterization is really good. Particularly for Harvey and Oswald.

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    Show was ok. Basically just a Cop Drama with comic book names tossed in. The bit with the CatGirl on the fence at the end was laughable.
    What makes you say that? Not believeable, realistic, or well pulled off?

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Honestly I dont know what to say. The whole show agents of shield is a giant continuing easter egg to the marvel movie universe. Its a GIANT EGG that would not even be on TV if it was not for the marvel movie universe. An EGG that was created by the marvel movie universe. So to say that Gotham has easter eggs when its a show set in Gotham the most famous city in DC for cripes sake. I mean really? Would you like writers not to have easter eggs in a show that is a prelude to batman showing up? My head hurts.
    lol, it's not an easter egg for supporting the movies that spawned it. It has easter eggs, but the fact that it exists in the same universe isn't one of them. And it's not the fact that the Gotham pilot, which is what I'm talking about since it's the only episode that's aired, has these references that's a problem, it's the fact that they used sledgehammer subtlety in telegraphing them to the audience.

Astonishing Member

lol, it's not an easter egg for supporting the movies that spawned it. It has easter eggs, but the fact that it exists in the same universe isn't one of them. And it's not the fact that the Gotham pilot, which is what I'm talking about since it's the only episode that's aired, has these references that's a problem, it's the fact that they used sledgehammer subtlety in telegraphing them to the audience.
    Yes thats a major problem oh the horror

Oh, and this might seem like a trivial complaint, but I felt there were one too many city overviews throughout the episode. They can be nice and all, but I just felt that there was a bit too many in this one.

Hopefully cut down on it in episodes to come.

Also, anyone else feel like the actor playing Barbara would make a great voice actor? Just seemed to have the right kind of voice for it, I think. And, for all I know, she is one.