Page 157 of 198 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 2958

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Astonishing Member

I am still bothered by all the villains being adults and Bruce a kid. That means that when he finally becomes Bats - he is fighting a set of at best middle aged or geezer villains. NOT impressive. Now he is a rather skinny nothing. How many years to bulk up and train, build the cave,

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I am still bothered by all the villains being adults and Bruce a kid. That means that when he finally becomes Bats - he is fighting a set of at best middle aged or geezer villains. NOT impressive. Now he is a rather skinny nothing. How many years to bulk up and train, build the cave,
    Cory Michael Smith is 30. Penguin gave his age as 31 last year, so 32 now. Jerome is probably in his mid-20's. Bruce is 15 or 16. So if Bruce is a fully-functioning Batman 5 or 6 years from now, Penguin and Riddler and Joker will still be in their 30's. Catwoman is Bruce's age, and Poison Ivy a few years older physically.

These villains don't fight Batman physically, so their greater age won't be a handicap to their effectiveness as villains.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Gotham doesn't intend to ever be a full-on Batman show. Ideally, it would take us up to the point where Bruce puts on the cowl and the rogues' gallery becomes aware of his presence and threat. Then it's a "...and you know the rest" type of deal.

I'm not sure that a true Batman show featuring this cast would even work all that well. So much of its appeal depends on us geeking out over the origin stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Am I the only one baffled by Fish's pointless death? What was even the point of bringing her back?
    I think Jada Pinkett just had some contractual stuff where she had to appear in a certain amount of episodes lol. I liked how they just off screen, squashed their beef. WTF, Gotham.
    Superhero shows are trash

Just accept it is an alternate reality that has nothing to do with Batman New 52 and Batman Rebirth.
    It's it's own version of Gotham City. Just like the DCEU and the Arrowverse are their own thing.
    An Elseworlds tale if you wish.

One viewer's take...

That The Court Of Owls is operating all but out in the open at this point in Bruce's lifetime is an obvious sign that we are in some sort of "Elseworlds" sort of a story.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The plot with Bruce's clone was left unsolved. He disappeared when the plot after he fought with Selina and Alfred. With the Court out of commission what will he do now?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One viewer's take...

That The Court Of Owls is operating all but out in the open at this point in Bruce's lifetime is an obvious sign that we are in some sort of "Elseworlds" sort of a story.
    Not only operating, but already defunct. I doubt Ra's intends to build a new Court since he's now moved on to the next phase of his plan: using Bruce as his "dark knight" to control the city.

Why Bruce? Why a skinny 16-year-old with an inconvenient moral center? Who knows. It all smacks of "Chosen One"-ism, which is a plot hammer I find really annoying. But I will give the show a chance to explain itself next season.

Faux Bruce is dying, but presumably won't just croak offscreen with no more said about it. Ra's might try to use him to manipulate Bruce, or Faux Bruce might do something on his own initiative that will foul up everyone's plans. (That's my preferred outcome.)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    I think Jada Pinkett just had some contractual stuff where she had to appear in a certain amount of episodes lol. I liked how they just off screen, squashed their beef. WTF, Gotham.
    Yeah, hers and Barbara's death, both killed by people with little emotional investment, were both WTF in my book

Mighty Member

Most of the would-be villains in the show (Catwoman, Scarecrow, Hush, Ivy, Firefly) are around Bruce's age. Certain others like Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Mad Hatter, and Hugo Strange are usually portrayed as being older or where it doesn't matter. Riddler and Dent are odd ones, but the former was frozen recently. If this was the last season, you could say they froze him so when he's thawed, there would be an older Bruce, likely Batman by now, around.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Most of the would-be villains in the show (Catwoman, Scarecrow, Hush, Ivy, Firefly) are around Bruce's age. Certain others like Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Mad Hatter, and Hugo Strange are usually portrayed as being older or where it doesn't matter. Riddler and Dent are odd ones, but the former was frozen recently. If this was the last season, you could say they froze him so when he's thawed, there would be an older Bruce, likely Batman by now, around.
    It almost seems like some sort of meme or something. Some critic wrote an article about it when the show first came out and saw the Bruce was a kid and Penguin and Riddler were adults and decided
    it would be a funny way of knocking a show he didn't like. And then people who don't even watch the show just repeated it ad nauseam. Anybody that actually watches the show knows it is false.
    Anymore it is pointless to argue or correct ignorant people who don't watch the show because more just come along.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Why Bruce? Why a skinny 16-year-old with an inconvenient moral center? Who knows. It all smacks of "Chosen One"-ism, which is a plot hammer I find really annoying. But I will give the show a chance to explain itself next season.
    Why Bruce is pretty simple, he's a Wayne. His family and his company is what keeps Gotham from destroying itself. Bruce being an emotional wreck he's the perfect mark for manipulation. Every big bad who isn't a mobster tried to get him on his side one way or another.

Astonishing Member

Whos idea and where did it come from that all of bat mans villains were his age? Comic book fans can be so weird. This show is silly awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Whos idea and where did it come from that all of bat mans villains were his age? Comic book fans can be so weird. This show is silly awesome.
    Somebody that never even read the comic books but thought they were being a smart ass. Because they didn't want a show that took place before there was a Batman. Because they wanted a
    Batman show instead. So it's a way of making fun of the show by setting up a false premise and using that as an excuse as to why the show isn't canon, and therefore not worth watching.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I guess people who never saw Tim Burton's Batman where Joker killed his parents.

There is no such thing as canon in "Big 2" superhero comics. A handful of iconic heroes... Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman... have traditional origin stories that are well known, but those don't even match the current "canon" reality of the comics.

The idea of "canon" didn't even exist until the 1970's or 80's. Comics publishers assumed that their readership turned over 100% roughly every 3 years, and it was safe to contradict or recycle anything older than that. Even TV shows would sometimes do scene-for-scene remakes of episodes that were a few seasons old, on the assumption that viewers would long ago have forgotten the original.

With the constant rebooting and alternate timelines, etc., there is no true canon.

Most of Batman's villains in the comics just appeared out of nowhere, in costume, and the 12-year-old readers didn't really care where they came from or why they did what they did. They were there so Batman would have somebody to fight, and they did what they did because they were evil. Gotham is trying to give us an "inside baseball" look at how this situation might plausibly have come to be.