Page 16 of 198 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

i-hjJh2gv-1050x10000.jpg
    10 characters
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    The easter eggs do feel like that, it gets annoying. The Prof Pyg cameo was better. He got real big, I just wished he had stuck with Dick instead of moving to Bruce.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    The easter eggs do feel like that, it gets annoying. The Prof Pyg cameo was better. He got real big, I just wished he had stuck with Dick instead of moving to Bruce.
    Surprisingly, when I spoke to my friends who don't read comics, they actually quite like the obvious Easter eggs. For obvious reasons.

BANNED

Penguin so far is my main attraction to this series.

The easter eggs do feel like that, it gets annoying.
    Riddler's real name is E.Nygma. Obvious clues seems staple for Batman stories.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Didn't like the second episode as much as the pilot. I felt it highlighted a lot of the shows flaws; bad dialogue and overly dramatic acting in some scenes. I like the more campy fun versions of Batman and I feel The Dollmaker's underlings (Lili Taylor and Frank Whaley) gave off that vibe. I like Sean Pertwee but I'm not really feelin' him as Alfred. Robin Lord Taylor is pretty good as The Penguin though. I kind of like that teenage Bruce was listening to heavy metal and drawing.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

That bus "chase" was incredibly inept and contrived. Carol Kane as Penguin's mom was good casting.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    That bus "chase" was incredibly inept and contrived. Carol Kane as Penguin's mom was good casting.
    The Penguin is an offensive eastern European Jewish stereotype? Who knew?!

I will say the point I made about Gordon being rich (or uber middle class) is driven home by the cop who says he watched out for the restaurant because it pays him $50 a month to serve as protection and he has a family to feed. Gordon, being rich makes him - it is implied - a better cop because he does not need to take bribe money. If Gordon was a working stiff raising a family on a detective's salary then not taking a bribe and being honest has more cache then being richer and not taking money.

It highlights the flawed execution of this TV series so far. I still like the Penguin - I feel that is when the episodes get some fun time. The goofy villain henchmen of the Doll-Maker were very 1960s Batman tv show in appearance and acting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    I will say the point I made about Gordon being rich (or uber middle class) is driven home by the cop who says he watched out for the restaurant because it pays him $50 a month to serve as protection and he has a family to feed. Gordon, being rich makes him - it is implied - a better cop because he does not need to take bribe money. If Gordon was a working stiff raising a family on a detective's salary then not taking a bribe and being honest has more cache then being richer and not taking money.

It highlights the flawed execution of this TV series so far. I still like the Penguin - I feel that is when the episodes get some fun time. The goofy villain henchmen of the Doll-Maker were very 1960s Batman tv show in appearance and acting.
    Actually, they went out of their way this episode to clarify that it's Barbara who is rich, not Jim. So that's dependant on him not screwing that up.

I enjoyed this episode more than the first one, I think it'll build into something really good eventually. Like Arrow or SHIELD did. I have to say, what other people have called overly dramatic acting I've enjoyed- it's Gotham! Everyone is like modern Shakespeare! It makes sense that a flair for the dramatic is common.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I think it was a solid episode, there's always room for growth but it has a solid enough foundation. Jada was way channeling Eartha Kitt tonight, I think she even purred, but seemed believably upset at her boy being beaten by Falcone (maybe more that she isn't in power yet). James fiancee is a wildcard and could be worked into the plot naturally. I thought it was interesting seeing how the mayor and police chief handle it all, basically managing the public in the way governments probably do.

It certainly held my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Riddler's real name is E.Nygma. Obvious clues seems staple for Batman stories.
    Yeah people complained that Poison Ivy was named Ivy Pepper but no one bats an eye over Harley Quinn being Harleen Quinzell Has subtlety ever been a strong point of Batman mythology? He used to fight people in buildings shaped like the product they were making inside and he'll pick up a sidekick who will narrate his entire life for him.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    The episode was okay. One thing I hated was how at the end she made the cop go get gordon by threatening to scream and say he touched her.
    I think it was to show Selina's moral ambiguity in threatening a cop while doing the right thing. She's not all good. She's not all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Surprisingly, when I spoke to my friends who don't read comics, they actually quite like the obvious Easter eggs. For obvious reasons.
    Once again I say, Marvel does them in movies or TV and no one complains maybe because they're not as well known to the public watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    I like Sean Pertwee but I'm not really feelin' him as Alfred.
    Well, it's a very different take on Alfred. I think it will be a bit before warming up to him as it seems to be him not warming up to being Bruce's caregiver. Hopefully the request for special help brings in Dr Thompkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    The Penguin is an offensive eastern European Jewish stereotype? Who knew?!
    I didn't get "Jewish" out of it. I got Carol Kane reprising her "foreign" character from Taxi the way Cloris Leechamn has her vaguely Germanic accent she pulls out from time to time (Nanny Mueller or Malcom's grandma). I guess that makes me old.

Incredible Member

I forgot to comment on the Waynes' instructions to Alfred on how to raise young Bruce. "No psychiatric help", "let him find his own path". No wonder Bruce is a mess.

Only 2 episodes in and I'm hooked on the show. I'm excited on seeing how they take the story and if they ever introduce the Joker or any other villains at all.

Spectacular Member

Am I the only one who is just not feeling this? I'm trying to be fair, give the show a chance. But we're two episodes in and right now, we have two people to like, Alfred is a prick, we're really not getting anything to like in the show. Hey, credit to those who are digging it, but for me... I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Well, it's a very different take on Alfred. I think it will be a bit before warming up to him as it seems to be him not warming up to being Bruce's caregiver. Hopefully the request for special help brings in Dr Thompkins.
    He plays him very much how Alfred was portrayed in Beware the Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by mattperiolat View Post
    Am I the only one who is just not feeling this? I'm trying to be fair, give the show a chance. But we're two episodes in and right now, we have two people to like, Alfred is a prick, we're really not getting anything to like in the show. Hey, credit to those who are digging it, but for me... I dunno.
    It's so-so, then again I disliked the entire first season of Arrow so Gotham might see an upswing later on.
    Last edited by Jeremi; 09-30-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Actually, they went out of their way this episode to clarify that it's Barbara who is rich, not Jim. So that's dependant on him not screwing that up.

I enjoyed this episode more than the first one, I think it'll build into something really good eventually. Like Arrow or SHIELD did. I have to say, what other people have called overly dramatic acting I've enjoyed- it's Gotham! Everyone is like modern Shakespeare! It makes sense that a flair for the dramatic is common.
    Gordon's dad is a DA - DA's are connected people and tend to be upper middle class - not always the case but DAs come from connected backgrounds in many cases. In any case, it is implied Gordon does not need money at the moment - we see him having bubbly with his rich artist flame (who seems to date only cops back to back) in their fancy highrise apt.

Every time I see them doing those pan shots of the city's sky scrappers I keep expecting the shot to fall into the highrise luxury apartment Gordon is living in. Also, Gordon being a new dad would work better when visiting young Bruce rather than a bachelor but I digress.