Page 21 of 198 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Bullocks quip about going after a cop killer is "job security". : best line of the episode��

Does Gordon know Montoya is Barbara's ex?

Couldn't they send s helicopter or plane to try to rescue the weather balloon victims?

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    The producers have said an aspect of the joker will be seen in every episode.
    I really only noticed one in the pilot. Have there been more?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    I haven't seen any other aspects, apparently in episode 2 their was a guy in a purple suit. Honestly I have only been paying attention when penguin was on the screen.

BANNED

I haven't seen any other aspects, apparently in episode 2 their was a guy in a purple suit. Honestly I have only been paying attention when penguin was on the screen.
    I thought in episode two, it was the guy that the Penguin kidnapped. When Penguin was on the phone to the guy's mother, she didn't believe he was really kidnapped because he was always playing jokes. Then Penguin referred to him as a "scamp".

Incredible Member

Lieutenant Cranston was rockin' a mustache, feels like a Batman Year one film shout out.
    Balloon murders seemed a little over the top at first, but definitely sold it. Was a lot less cartoony than last weeks villains.
    Falcone, Maroni, Bullock, Gordon and Penguin are the highlight of the show so far, though I enjoyed Fish Mooney in the pilot and the Barbara/ Montoya stuff is shaping into a very interesting b story.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    HATE this version of Renee Montoya. Breaking & entering with a jealous mad-on for Jim Gordon? She is creepy!
    Glad I'm not only one who thinks shes a creep.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Fish is maybe getting a little into stupid-evil with ordering the death of Lazlo. The guy seemed genuinely worried about her and she kills him for spoiling the mood?

Penguin is awesome! He's completely repulsive, yet you can't stop wanting to see what he'll do next. Awesome take on a classic villain.

Retired

In the pilot, I liked the sexual chemistry between Renee and Barbara as it revealed more dimension to Gordon's would-be wife. However, in this latest episode, Montoya took a giant step backward and along with her the portrayal of gay characters on screen. This is how lesbians were always depicted on screen fifty years ago--as cold women (Renee) who have a hate on for men and prey on other women--or else as weak, self-destructive women (Barbara).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In the pilot, I liked the sexual chemistry between Renee and Barbara as it revealed more dimension to Gordon's would-be wife. However, in this latest episode, Montoya took a giant step backward and along with her the portrayal of gay characters on screen. This is how lesbians were always depicted on screen fifty years ago--as cold women (Renee) who have a hate on for men and prey on other women--or else as weak, self-destructive women (Barbara).
    I didn't feel it was played as Barbara being weak/ self destructive but more Barbara enjoying some recreational substances and Renee running her down to try to get her to agree about Gordon.
    Renee is being portrayed as altruistic (trying to take down a supposed murderer) and having an ex involved with someone like that would probably be hard to take.

The description you gave (one cold spouse that preys on women, other weak and self destructive) actually sounds alot more like the relationship between Oliver and Laurel in the middle of Arrows 2nd season.

Barbara saying its just because of her relationship with Gordon rings really false to me, but of course is a logical conclusion. Also didn't peg Montoya as a man hater (her partner on the force, Allen, is a man and they seem to get along and she's targeting Gordon on behalf of a supposedly murdered man, Penguin). She really seems to dislike corrupt cops and has pegged Gordon as guilty of association from his partnership with Bullock before word on the street of Gordon killing anyone.

BANNED

To be fair Renee has ever reason to bieve Jim is dirty even though she's wrong. But if you were in her situation you would think the same thing of Jim. She's not a personal acquaintance, her judgment is based on the evidence she has, which is damning.

And then it kind of goes back to if you find out your ex, or he'll someone you care about, is in a relationship with a bad guy, do you tell them? She obviously did.

For Renee her reasonings and motivations make sense and she is doing the morally right thing with that, even though the decks being manipulated out of her favor. As an audience she is being set up as another obstacle for the hero Gordon so it's not as though we are supposed to root for her.

Ultimately I think this ends in Jim proving his innocence and Renee becomes the ally to Jim that she is in the comics.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    In the second episode, a guy in the police station called Bullock a "clown" (before getting punched out).

I also remember the scene in the pilot where Fish Mooney tells Penguin, "if you let this hair get frizzy, it's your ass." But I don't know if that was a deliberate Joker reference.

I don't recall seeing a Joker reference in the third episode.

Incredible Member

Wasn't that impressed with the actress playing Selina. She may have the look and the physicality to play Selina but she's very stiff when it comes to acting. On the plus side, I did like seeing the more street kid side of her rather than seeing her skulk in the shadows.

Also enjoyed seeing the rougher/weirder side of Gotham. When Penguin got off the bus there was that great shot of the street. Rough looking hookers, purse snatchers and a gang banger who looked every bit of 60 years old. And then the highlight of the episode for me. Bullock getting his ass kicked by what I assume was a transvestite! Even funnier was when Bullock punched him out after Gordon had the gun on him.

The Balloon Man was interesting. He appears to be the city's first vigilante. Although, I'm hoping he's the last until Bruce takes on the mantle as the city's protector. I don't want to see proto-Batmans popping up that inspire Bruce.

Couldn't they send s helicopter or plane to try to rescue the weather balloon victims?
    I thought about that for a moment but it's unlikely to work. Planes don't hover so they would be useless. Given the speed of the balloons, a helicopter would have to be in the air and practically right over the balloon to actually rescue the victim.

Retired

I guess wearing the pig mask for the first balloon attack could be seen as similar to the Joker's gang wearing clown masks in THE DARK KNIGHT. What interested me more was the second attack when the Balloon Man is dressed similar to the Shadow and he targets Cranston.

BANNED

Just seen the episode and I agree with the people saying that Renee was creepy. I can give a pass to the trespassing but kissing Barbara while in the middle of a completely unrelated speech about how her boyfriend may be a criminal was just really low. I don't think she hates men but I do think that's really twisted behaviour and not the kind of thing that should be given a pass just because she's a woman (or a lesbian).

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Wasn't that impressed with the actress playing Selina. She may have the look and the physicality to play Selina but she's very stiff when it comes to acting.
    Yeah, I thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Also enjoyed seeing the rougher/weirder side of Gotham. When Penguin got off the bus there was that great shot of the street. Rough looking hookers, purse snatchers and a gang banger who looked every bit of 60 years old. And then the highlight of the episode for me. Bullock getting his ass kicked by what I assume was a transvestite! Even funnier was when Bullock punched him out after Gordon had the gun on him.
    I'm fairly sure that was just a woman.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

The producers have said an aspect of the joker will be seen in every episode.
    That was a rumor based on blowing out of proportion when a producer said they would have multiple teases to the Joker. He clarified it would't be every episode.
    "We will be playing with...Not just with Joker. Half the fun with all of these characters is who is going to turn into what and when? Certainly the Joker is a good example. In the pilot, you see there’s a comedian there. People immediately leap...And that’s really letting the audience do our work for us. Because I haven’t said anything about that guy and people go there!" So, do they still intend to introduce the villain at some point, and if so, will they indeed tease his origin story? "Yeah, we’ll play with that down the line. Not over the course of one season, no, because people will still get tired of that. 'Is that the Joker? Is that the Joker?' No. In a subtle way, we’ll be doing that and hopefully we’ll fool them in the end."
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...oOQvR0S8uFv.99