Page 30 of 198 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Yes, the woman was being groomed by Fish Mooney as a mistress for the old man who is the biggest crime boss in Gotham, Falcone.
    Fish is hoping to use her as a pawn to usurp Falcones position.
    His reaction at her resemblance to his mother and the aria shows its so far going according to plan
    I enjoyed the reveal of why Fish hired that singer in the first place.
    Last edited by tabo61; 10-21-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Retired

It showed that Fish is a lot more intelligent than I gave her credit for.

She understands that men have an oedipal desire for their mother. She was grooming the honeypot to be motherly. And it all came together in that final scene.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    First good episode this week. It's kind of funny, because someone I know just asked me about it the other day, and I told them the show kind of sucks. So far this is the first episode I've seen where the shows format seems to work. Most of the time Gotham just feels like it's all over the place with the side characters, but this is the first time they didn't feel like they were just in the way of the main cop show. Also the first time the cop show bit has been good too.

Really wish the guy that took all that gas at the end would have grown huge crazy muscles. The way it was filmed seemed like we should have been getting a transformation scene, I was wanting for something to happen...but we got nothing.
    I'd prefer no transformation. Venom was originally subtler, it just boosted a guy who was huge and borderline superhuman into the slightly superhuman range. It didn't violate the laws of physics by creating mass from nowhere.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

It's been so long since we've had a comic book show that wasn't afraid to be a comic book show, that it's off-putting for some people.

I find it refreshing, though I realize it's going to be very difficult to pull off consistently. You can very easily slip off the Cliffs of Fun into the Pits of Ridiculousness.

Now Jim has saved Penguin's life twice. It's like feeding a stray cat... he'll never get rid of him now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    It's been so long since we've had a comic book show that wasn't afraid to be a comic book show, that it's off-putting for some people.
    Flash is a comic book show that isn't afraid to be a comic book show. Gotham is a show that doesn't know whether it wants to be serious like Nolan or hammy like the Adam West show. It's not bad, but it's very jarring going from Gotham is a hell hole and the mob is about to start a war to a bunch of cartoony villains. It's the epitome of trying to have your cake and eat it to.

Which is made worse because Flash has been striking a perfect balance between seriousness, action, drama, fantastical elements, and humor.

That's sad because Gotham has a great foundation with it's characters and setting. You can see what this show could be.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Gotham is a show that doesn't know whether it wants to be serious like Nolan or hammy like the Adam West show. It's not bad, but it's very jarring going from Gotham is a hell hole and the mob is about to start a war to a bunch of cartoony villains. It's the epitome of trying to have your cake and eat it to.
    To me, the show seems to be basing itself on the comics, not on the movies or TV show. You could take an episode of Gotham, re-create it scene-for-scene and word-for-word on the comics pages, and it would look a lot like a typical comic.

The cartoonishness of the villains is only hinted at, and I'm sure will remain less than the comics themselves, the TV show, or the Burton-era movies. I don't think we'll ever see this Penguin waddling around in a top hat and monocle, going "wak wak wak," or Ed Nygma swanning around in long underwear with question marks on it. (Although with this version of him, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.)

Incredible Member

Wonder what the deal was with the 5-second Selina cameo in this episode.
    I don't know but it bugged me. How the hell was she being stealthy? You hear this huge thud as she jumps on the roof of the car and then pick pockets the guy without using any cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Yes, the woman was being groomed by Fish Mooney as a mistress for the old man who is the biggest crime boss in Gotham, Falcone.
    Fish is hoping to use her as a pawn to usurp Falcones position.
    His reaction at her resemblance to his mother and the aria shows its so far going according to plan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It showed that Fish is a lot more intelligent than I gave her credit for.

She understands that men have an oedipal desire for their mother.
    Speak for yourself, I was creeped out by the scene.

I find it refreshing, though I realize it's going to be very difficult to pull off consistently. You can very easily slip off the Cliffs of Fun into the Pits of Ridiculousness.

Now Jim has saved Penguin's life twice. It's like feeding a stray cat... he'll never get rid of him now.
    Honestly, I think people were expecting something different than what we got. The trailers for the show made me think we were getting a gritty, realistic take on Gotham. Maybe something closer to the Nolan universe. However, the show has chosen to be a little quirkier than that. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm thinking many people are having difficulties adjusting their expectations (or wishes) with what the show really is.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Speak for yourself, I was creeped out by the scene.
    I never said it wasn't creepy. Psychology can be very creepy. But it's interesting that Fish knows so much about psychology.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Flash is a comic book show that isn't afraid to be a comic book show. Gotham is a show that doesn't know whether it wants to be serious like Nolan or hammy like the Adam West show. It's not bad, but it's very jarring going from Gotham is a hell hole and the mob is about to start a war to a bunch of cartoony villains. It's the epitome of trying to have your cake and eat it to. .
    I agree with AndrewCrossett. This is what the comics do. Just because it's a TV show, to me, doesn't mean they have to choose one or the other. They're doing what the source material does. The Flash is fine, but I can't sit through it. For me, it's too much one way and doensn't have the balance I like. We all prefer something different haha

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    I don't know but it bugged me. How the hell was she being stealthy? You hear this huge thud as she jumps on the roof of the car and then pick pockets the guy without using any cover.
    She's clearly way more cocky than skilled here at the beginning of her career. Plus, I think I agree with the above poster who said she was looking for attention from Jim. (What are the chances she'd keep crossing paths with him by chance in a city of several million people?)

It will (I hope) be interesting to see how her life goes that results in her becoming Catwoman. I have a feeling misunderstandings and perceived betrayals will be involved.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never said it wasn't creepy. Psychology can be very creepy. But it's interesting that Fish knows so much about psychology.
    Fish is a femme fatale that got promoted to management, she should know how guys think.

When I saw that Fish had intended from the start to sic a faux-chaste mommy substitute on Falcone that was half his age, I laughed.

She could have chucked a grenade at him and it would have done less damage.

Its also interesting how often Fish plays the mommy card with her own subordinates given that there isn't a matronly thing about her.

Extraordinary Member

Just watched episode two. I'm liking so far, the two villains were kinda clownish, and I'm not sure how I feel but this is a promising series thus far.

Incredible Member

Crime kingpin Carmine Falcone sits in the park and feeds the pigeons? That's a bit odd. I pictured him as always having security around him.

Interesting to see Nygma fascinated rather than repulsed by watching people die, and I think that Oswald learned in this episode that he needs to take things slower in his master plan. This is a series, not a movie that wraps up in two hours.

Nice moment when Alfred sat down with Bruce and started helping him go through the files. First sign of being not just Bruce's Alfred, but Batman's.

http://screenrant.com/gotham-tv-show...wo-face-actor/

Nicholas D'Agosto, in videos, talking about Harvey Dent, Two-Face and more.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

The cartoonishness of the villains is only hinted at, and I'm sure will remain less than the comics themselves, the TV show, or the Burton-era movies. I don't think we'll ever see this Penguin waddling around in a top hat and monocle, going "wak wak wak," or Ed Nygma swanning around in long underwear with question marks on it. (Although with this version of him, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.)
    Yeah, if I was going to compare it to another adaption I would say "Gotham" straddles the line as Bruce Timm/Paul Dini's animated series did.
    I could see this Nygma being more dapper as their earlier Riddler was:

With this Penguin being less freakish looking and more towards the persona of Timm's New Adventures one:

We've seen him dress well when delivering donuts to his gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    Crime kingpin Carmine Falcone sits in the park and feeds the pigeons? That's a bit odd. I pictured him as always having security around him.
    They could be off in the background a bit and figured a young woman isn't a threat to him.