Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Default Red Hood & The Outlaws #40 (FINAL ISSUE) Preview/Discussion

http://www.newsarama.com/23809-say-g...utlaws-40.html

Hell of a way to opening the issue

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

It is indeed a hell of a way to open an issue. Looks like this one will be action packed. Can't wait to see the rest.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Always Rakzo

Good to see that people put this here, sad to see this going.

By the way has anyone seen the new designs for Jason and Roy in their new series? Not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Good to see that people put this here, sad to see this going.

By the way has anyone seen the new designs for Jason and Roy in their new series? Not a fan.
    I'm gonna hold judgement until we have a clearer look or Medry's take on them.

Both of them seem pretty similar though, Roy looks more or less the same, they just gave him some green sleeves while Jason changed the brown jacket for a red hoodie (without doubt to ride a bit on his Arkham Knight's design)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

They look okay to me but I'm with Dark_Tzitzimine on waiting and seeing how it looks once I have the first issue in hand. I'm going to give the new looks a chance to grow on me like I did when this book started. I am sad to see the previous title end and the trio becoming a duo though.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Love this book, sad to see it go. Hope the new title can carry on.

Spectacular Member

look very nice

Astonishing Member

I'm excited. I want to see more hints at more Red Hood/Ravager teamups. I want to see Starfire punch Helspont in the mouth. I want to see what Lobdell has planned for Crux. Art looks nice. I'm stoked for RH/A # 1 in June. Anyway Lobdell has been building to this confrontation for a while so I hope he can do it justice in 20 pages.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

As expected, the issue was filled to the brim with action, Crux proved himself to be a key piece to solve the fight with Hellspont and that ending...

well...

It tugged at my heartstrings.

While is true that the conflict was solved too fast, it was to be expected given the time and space constraints and yet, Lobdell delivered a great, GREAT ending to the team.

So long Outlaws, it was a hell of a ride.

So I'm pretty new to this series (which is of course when it would end), I think I came in on #35, and then went back and got all the trades/issues from earlier. Overall, I've really enjoyed the series as a whole, and I think this was a great ending to this run!

It was fast paced and action packed, and had all the great character interactions/moments, spoilers:
    that bro hug!!! So awesome!
    end of spoilers that I love between these three characters. I'm sad to see these Outlaws ending their team-up, but I'm looking forward to our duo continuing on , and I hope our soloist can rock her new book too!

I'm interested to find out if Starfires new book will touch on any of this series or not... And I still love her space suit outfit! It's definitely one of my favorites

Always Rakzo

This wasn't really good for me sadly, I hope Lobdell does a better work in the new Red Hood/Arsenal.

This wasn't really good for me sadly
    Why's that?

Astonishing Member

Rapid "rad bad" style banter during splashy "more tailored for aggro art" than for nuanced sense of place and worldbuilding. Dual-wield guns, katanas, compound bows and monstro-dudes. Half-naked chicks, one with white hair and war-paint and a whited out eye. HELSPONT.

I liked this a bunch. It wasn't exactly a "The End" level coda, more like a "see you next series". But it effectively wraps the loose ends of RHATO with a bow and delivers enough action, decisive win and a good enough denouement that I liked it. Moreover I can't believe just how like '90s Image or Wildstormy it feels. This is surprisingly appropriate for a book featuring Jason Todd. If you imagine that he survives his character personality change at the hands of Starlin in '88 and keeps going the "bad boy" route into the extreme '90s, and to get away from that LAME OLD WHOLESOME Titans they launch "X-TREME TITANS", this is almost exactly how that would've rolled. So it's an odd and anachronistic scenario that it comes into existence nowadays.

But I like it. Because it's surprisingly appropriate as a follow-up to Morrison's short Red Hood thesis with its post-80s meta-commentary and critique of Punisher-type characters. It's like Jason learned his lesson about being a "Punisher" and lightened up ... and went from late-80s grim n gritty to high-90s extremely radical. The character concept itself, revived by Winick, is sort of evolving making up for lost time, as Jason matures in-story from "I'm all dark now" to "I'll do a better job than these HEROES" to "Hey, ugly, we're gonna save the planet!" to whatever's next but hopefully looks a lot like the late-90s.

Of course I don't want to knock the artist of this issue, because while it's not like, moody noir with a cartoonist bent or psychedelia superheroics, it's good action comic art. I don't want to draw a 1:1 comparison with 90s stalwart artists. This was actually pretty.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Rapid "rad bad" style banter during splashy "more tailored for aggro art" than for nuanced sense of place and worldbuilding. Dual-wield guns, katanas, compound bows and monstro-dudes. Half-naked chicks, one with white hair and war-paint and a whited out eye. HELSPONT.

I liked this a bunch. It wasn't exactly a "The End" level coda, more like a "see you next series". But it effectively wraps the loose ends of RHATO with a bow and delivers enough action, decisive win and a good enough denouement that I liked it. Moreover I can't believe just how like '90s Image or Wildstormy it feels. This is surprisingly appropriate for a book featuring Jason Todd. If you imagine that he survives his character personality change at the hands of Starlin in '88 and keeps going the "bad boy" route into the extreme '90s, and to get away from that LAME OLD WHOLESOME Titans they launch "X-TREME TITANS", this is almost exactly how that would've rolled. So it's an odd and anachronistic scenario that it comes into existence nowadays.

But I like it. Because it's surprisingly appropriate as a follow-up to Morrison's short Red Hood thesis with its post-80s meta-commentary and critique of Punisher-type characters. It's like Jason learned his lesson about being a "Punisher" and lightened up ... and went from late-80s grim n gritty to high-90s extremely radical. The character concept itself, revived by Winick, is sort of evolving making up for lost time, as Jason matures in-story from "I'm all dark now" to "I'll do a better job than these HEROES" to "Hey, ugly, we're gonna save the planet!" to whatever's next but hopefully looks a lot like the late-90s.

Of course I don't want to knock the artist of this issue, because while it's not like, moody noir with a cartoonist bent or psychedelia superheroics, it's good action comic art. I don't want to draw a 1:1 comparison with 90s stalwart artists. This was actually pretty.
    I agree completely, this series would never get an ending so deep like Swamp Thing's but then again, this was never a thought provoking story in the first place. Just the adventures of a group of friends trying to get through life.

Wish Silva would've done the art though.

I have to say I enjoyed this series even if I peter'd around during the Tynion run. I kinda wished this issue was a bit longer but hey it was a good ending that leaves it all open for things to come later.

See you next time, Outlaws.