Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Last Spider-Man story, huh? Or to be more precise, the last story with Peter Parker as Spider-Man? Given Slott's "Monkey's Paw" comment and how Peter being a husband and father means he has greater responsibilities and thus more to lose, I'm thinking it's the latter, and that he'll ultimately give up being Spider-Man to be a husband and father. And if "elements from this story will go on into the next incarnation," then don't be surprised if this is paving the way for Peter to pass on the mantle to Miles Morales, making him the "All-New, All-Different Amazing Spider-Man" post-Secret Wars.

Also, since "Last Days" is capitalized, this means that Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows falls under the Secret Wars: Last Days banner, which are supposed to be stories taking place prior to the Marvel Universe being destroyed and becoming Battleworld. In this case, it appears this will chronicle several years of an alternate timeline where Peter and MJ were still married and had a daughter prior to their world being part of an Incursion. Why several years? Because if you remember the original teaser for this, it showed Peter and MJ slightly older with a daughter who looked like she was eight years old (which, interestingly enough, it will have been eight years since One More Day), while the preview images for this are showing Peter and MJ still looking as if though they're still in their late twenties and their daughter is an infant.

As for who the possible Regent is...my guess is if it's not Kingpin, then it's either Mister Negative or The Hood.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

i already had my "Be careful what you wish for" moment and that was Dan Slott's writing the MC-2 Universe for the Spider-verse event. Boy was that a let down for me.

SO with this event, I don't know if I can trust him or not to make not only a good story, but a story worth reading and is believable unlike the event of OMD and OMIT.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    i already had my "Be careful what you wish for" moment and that was Dan Slott's writing the MC-2 Universe for the Spider-verse event. Boy was that a let down for me.

SO with this event, I don't know if I can trust him or not to make not only a good story, but a story worth reading and is believable unlike the event of OMD and OMIT.
    Then don't read it.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

616 Peter and RYV Peter are two entirely different versions of the wall crawler. Having them both means you can have a single Spider-Man and an older married Spider-Man, so whether or not we have Miles there wouldn't be an absolute need to have Peter give up being Spidey if we have two (or even more) versions of him to do different things with him. If anything 616 Peter and Miles should probably have a title together where he acts as a sort of mentor to the younger Spidey, but in no way implying that Miles is his side kick or anything. And older RYV Peter can be utilised differently, say in a team or even a position of leadership where he guides and isn't so hands on anymore.

That said I totally agree with the idea that RYV will be a prequel for the Regency domain and explore the years in that universe up to the incursion and afterwards. It seems like many of the domains on Battleworld have bee there for some time, and the Regency is probably one of them.

BANNED

I really like the idea of a "Last Spider-Man story". 50 years and he doesn't really have a great one. Batman's got Dark Knight Returns, Superman has "Whatever Happened" and All-Star Superman, Spider-Man has...uh, Reign? God that comic was trash. Even at Slott's worst, he's still a much better Spidey scribe than Kaare Andrews. More importantly though, Slott's best is some of Spider-Man finest stories, and he's got a great artist in Adam Kubert, too. You give him proper lead-in time, he can deliver.

I also like the inclusion of Eddie Brock Venom and Kraven. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they are the last two "big" Spidey rogues Slott hasn't written yet? Although I know he's done some form of Brock Venom with Anti-Venom, and Kraven in that underrated "Shattered Dimensions" game.

Ya know, I prefer Peter unmarried honestly, but I'm totally cool with PeterxMJ in these kind of short stories. I think its a natural conclusion to Peter's story, that he would get married, and raise a family, and have to put aside Spider-Man, someone tackling the mantle.

I REALLY hope this is good, because I love the concept of The Last Spider-Man Story, I really like the creative team, heck I even really like the rogues. I'd always hoped we get a great "final" Spider-Man story, and I think this could be it. I don't need it to be "canon" or anything pointless like that, I just hope its a great Spider-Man comic. If they can do that, shit, I'll never ask anything from Slott again. He'll have done it all for me.

Mighty Member

Trying not to get too excited about this (since it probably won't turn out the way I'd like it to). Still, I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post

Yah, I'm kind of in the same boat. Bringing in the marriage under the current Spidey regime and its thinking, to me, means they will do a great job with it, create a really dramatic story, make us go "awwww" and then in the end box the marriage up in a place no one can ever reach it again. Getting rid of MC2 Peter really was exactly this, for me. Just another nail in the coffin for all existing concepts of Spider-Marriage ever being status quo again.

That said, they probably will entice me to read it. The shame and regret that follows will be no one's fault but my own.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I don't need it to be "canon" or anything pointless like that,
    Yes, both Marvel and DC seem to be taking a "story over continuity" principle with their current multiverse events

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Just another nail in the coffin for all existing concepts of Spider-Marriage ever being status quo again
    And yet I have little doubt the newspaper comics will carry on using the marriage regardless. Illusion of change. Works just as well in reverse.

I feel much the same way about it, and given Battleworld gives the option of having more than one Peter Parker by the story's end, the idea of them shafting the marriage or MJ relationship forever is a terrible one, especially when since OMD Peter has never gone anywhere in the romance department in my opinion, aside from the promise of dating Carol Danvers and that was pretty much squashed quickly since her writers had no interest in it. So I hope Marvel has figured SW lets them have their cake and eat it if they play things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    616 Peter and RYV Peter are two entirely different versions of the wall crawler. Having them both means you can have a single Spider-Man and an older married Spider-Man, so whether or not we have Miles there wouldn't be an absolute need to have Peter give up being Spidey if we have two (or even more) versions of him to do different things with him. If anything 616 Peter and Miles should probably have a title together where he acts as a sort of mentor to the younger Spidey, but in no way implying that Miles is his side kick or anything. And older RYV Peter can be utilised differently, say in a team or even a position of leadership where he guides and isn't so hands on anymore.
    Yeah, I would think if there were to lead to Peter stepping down as Spidey and Miles being main one, then Peter would be in more of a mentor/teacher role for him. Sort of like Bruce Wayne and Terry McGuiness in Batman Beyond.

That said I totally agree with the idea that RYV will be a prequel for the Regency domain and explore the years in that universe up to the incursion and afterwards. It seems like many of the domains on Battleworld have bee there for some time, and the Regency is probably one of them.
    It would also fit with the notion that Battleworld may have existed long before Secret Wars officially started, since we know the Incursions have been going on for a while, and that the 616 and Ultimate Universe are apparently the last ones to be brought to Battleworld.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by R.K.Z View Post
    The calender reads "May", might be an in-joke allusion to the first baby.

If Peter and MJ had a second child (had they said no to Mephisto), her name would have been Mary Jr. (MJ...get it?) and been joined later by another Benjy, at least according to the One-Above-All's vision
    peter only seems capable of naming children after members of his family, so if he doesn’t name the girl may or ben (hey why not). which leaves mary. or richard.

BANNED

Pls let the baby name be Ben, even if its a girl

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Yeah, I would think if there were to lead to Peter stepping down as Spidey and Miles being main one, then Peter would be in more of a mentor/teacher role for him. Sort of like Bruce Wayne and Terry McGuiness in Batman Beyond.

It would also fit with the notion that Battleworld may have existed long before Secret Wars officially started, since we know the Incursions have been going on for a while, and that the 616 and Ultimate Universe are apparently the last ones to be brought to Battleworld.
    I figure they might do that in a temporary way, akin to Steve Rogers as Super Soldier or Ock as Superior Spidey, because ultimately Peter will just be too iconic as Spider-Man to not return to that role in some form or other, and hopefully not in a way which repeats Sins Past (oh hi Gabriel Stacy) where they have to kill MJ or their child or divorce them just to manage it.

Most likely when we get #2 of Secret Wars (the first Battleworld issue) we'll get some idea of what happens there and for how long it's been going.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Pls let the baby name be Ben, even if its a girl

i'd buy 2 copies of that.

Quote Originally Posted by R.K.Z View Post
    And yet I have little doubt the newspaper comics will carry on using the marriage regardless. Illusion of change. Works just as well in reverse.
    The newspaper strip is Stan's baby. Nobody wants to mess with Stan's baby.