Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

They had the perfect ending years ago, when Pete and MJ went into the sunset (married) and Ben took over. The only problem was that they insisted that Pete wasn't the "real" spider-man. To me, Ben taking the mantle was just like Wally taking over the Flash. No need for the "real" vs clone stuff...

Though Ben is not in the cards anymore (a different issue), somehow I dont see them replacing Miles as Ben in the above scenario. Whatever RYV is...it wont be the new marriage restored, nor leave Pete as "mentor".

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    They had the perfect ending years ago, when Pete and MJ went into the sunset (married) and Ben took over. The only problem was that they insisted that Pete wasn't the "real" spider-man. To me, Ben taking the mantle was just like Wally taking over the Flash. No need for the "real" vs clone stuff...

Though Ben is not in the cards anymore (a different issue), somehow I dont see them replacing Miles as Ben in the above scenario. Whatever RYV is...it wont be the new marriage restored, nor leave Pete as "mentor".
    good point, if this miles stuff does happen, it basically occupies the same narrative space and intent as ben reilly taking over the title.

i don’t think it’s entirely impossible that they would do that at some point, at least temporarily (seems to be all the rage these days). it could be a case of marvel realising that if they had the balls to ride out the clone controversy, things might have worked out. though on the other hand, i don’t see why they’d go from two successful spider-man books to just one (as far as i understand, miles sells well).

Fantastic Member

I've thought about this before... but what if one of the 'elements' that sticks around is the kid? Maybe the RYV Peter and MJ die, and when the whole things settled, she's basically an orphan stranded in the new Marvel U? One that Peter and MJ have to deal with... you know, the whole 'soap opera' thing.

Just a theory, but I can't help but think the kid plays a part, even though I see Peter still single after this.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It's very likely the child will survive, after the still birth in 616 even Slott wouldn't be so cruel as to let their daughter die, he let Benjy survive in MC2 after all. Though honestly I would like RYV Peter and MJ to be around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It's very likely the child will survive, after the still birth in 616 even Slott wouldn't be so cruel as to let their daughter die, he let Benjy survive in MC2 after all. Though honestly I would like RYV Peter and MJ to be around too.
    Maybe Slott not, but what about you-know-who.................................................. ..............

Astonishing Member

Not very impressed by what looks like the general direction of this storyline.Too much focused in the family of Peter Parker as it looks by the preview images.
    Would rather like to see a series focused in Spider-Man in the Black Costume post the original Secret Wars series for example.
    But the creative team is quite good,so i will be getting the first issues at least.

I'll just be happy if, as rumored, we get back the REAL Venom post Secret Wars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'll just be happy if, as rumored, we get back the REAL Venom post Secret Wars.
    "The Last Eddie Brock Story", friend

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Not very impressed by what looks like the general direction of this storyline.Too much focused in the family of Peter Parker as it looks by the preview images.
    Would rather like to see a series focused in Spider-Man in the Black Costume post the original Secret Wars series for example.
    But the creative team is quite good,so i will be getting the first issues at least.
    After Spider-Verse, I think a smaller, character focused arc is exactly what the doctor ordered. Let everything else focus on the big event crossover.

Ultimate Member

I don't accept the premise that Peter absolutely HAS to give up being Spider-Man just because he's married/has a kid. That sounds really unimaginative and creatively lazy to me. And if Marvel uses this story basically as a way to justify their breaking him and MJ up, then it'll come across as really forced and I'll be really annoyed.

That being said, Peter as the older, more experienced, and more stable hero mentoring the younger, more green Miles Morales does sound REALLY interesting to me. Which is precisely why Marvel probably won't do it, it makes too much sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Considering how Marvel wanted to make Peter single, why would they bring back the marriage? Personally, Marvel wants to become DC Comics. And the EiC was a DC Alumnus.
    Ha, ha! In what universe would Marvel ever want to become DC? The universe where they get tired of successfully selling comics?

As for RYV, it should be interesting. The marriage was a terrible idea that editorial at the time should've had a pre-planned "out" in place for. There's nothing wrong with a married superhero but it shouldn't be Spidey. We'll see where RYV ends up, though. I'd be very, very, very surprised if Peter remains married at the end of it but that's what's exciting about SW - there's no telling what the Marvel universe will look like on the other side of it.

Spectacular Member

That is exactly the scenario that I would like. The big questions that I have are: 1: Will DS remain with the book? 2: will OMD be reversed? 2a: if not then what? 3: Will Osborn pop up? 4: What happens to Otto?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Ha, ha! In what universe would Marvel ever want to become DC? The universe where they get tired of successfully selling comics?

As for RYV, it should be interesting. The marriage was a terrible idea that editorial at the time should've had a pre-planned "out" in place for. There's nothing wrong with a married superhero but it shouldn't be Spidey. We'll see where RYV ends up, though. I'd be very, very, very surprised if Peter remains married at the end of it but that's what's exciting about SW - there's no telling what the Marvel universe will look like on the other side of it.
    Why? Why "shouldn't" Peter be married? One of the big appeals of the character is that he had to deal with more "real world" issues/problems, and that he was an "everyman." Well guess what, marriage/children is a real-life concept and lots of "everymen" have wives/children. So actually, Peter is one of the characters that makes the MOST sense to be married.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Why? Why "shouldn't" Peter be married? One of the big appeals of the character is that he had to deal with more "real world" issues/problems, and that he was an "everyman." Well guess what, marriage/children is a real-life concept and lots of "everymen" have wives/children. So actually, Peter is one of the characters that makes the MOST sense to be married.
    Simply, because certain someone hates that héroes end-up married with red-heads............................................. .

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    "The Last Eddie Brock Story", friend
    I see what you did there.