Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default The Filmation/DC character Isis - will be sidelined for a long time because of world events?

Until last year, the name ISIS would, for us longtime DC Comics fans, invoke the name of the Egyptian goddess that Filmation turned into a superhero as a counterpart for their SHAZAM TV show during the 1970s, and had a series of comic books published by DC Comics during the show's run. Over the years, Isis has made sporadic appearances in DC Comics and other media, most recently about a decade ago after INFINITE CRISIS in a storyline centered around Isis' relationship with Black Adam.

Isis' appearances in the comics have been sporadic, and I don't know if DC had any recent plans for her character, but with the emergence of the notorious real world terrorist group ISIS (also known as ISIL and Daesh), will DC shy away from publishing new stories about the character, at least with her original name? Does the global notoriety of the terrorist group ISIS mean that we've seen the last of the Isis superhero character in comics for a long, long time?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The godess Isis is not pleased with this thread.

I'd say yes, didn't Archer also changed the agency's name from ISIS?
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

I really hope DC doesn't succumb to changing her name, the Egyptian goddesses name and by extension the TV and comic book character inspired by her, are still to prominent and will always overshadow it in my mind. Hopefully for others at DC too!

I really blame CNN, the actual group never referred to themselves as that, the President, White House Press and those of other nations mostly used ISIL. But CNN and other media having found a catchy easy click-bait name really pushed it out there.
    Hopefully if the time comes, DC will straight up ignore what the media has done, using that name, and deny the group any connection the name of the goddess and just unapologetically reclaim it and put her out there as we know and love her!

Last edited by Güicho; 09-03-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    The godess Isis is not pleased with this thread.
    It's that terrorist group she would be displeased with. In a better world, Isis (the goddess/heroine) would unleash a hellacious storm against ISIS (the terrorists).

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    ...which can be done for an agency, but the name of a character...more difficult to do.

DC seldom uses Isis anyway, so I doubt it had any immediate plans for her, but the notoriety of the terrorist group will probably put an additional dampener on the prospect of more Isis appearances.

Yeah I wouldn't expect her to show up for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Yeah. Now they are just contractors that work for the C.I.A. They did make a bit of a joke in the first episode of the season of rolling the I.S.I.S logo off screen but they were extremely careful not to let the actual letters be shown.

Political Correctness. Out to ruin everything.

ISIS did change their name to IS or Islamic Caliphate, but the media is slow witted and likes to cling on to their ISIS name. I honestly don'tn think it will be a problem, the goddess is still very well known.

I wonder if we will ever see the Amazons of Bana-Midgul (or whatever) since they basically are rule 64 of ISIS.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

If a terrorist group was to call himself Seattle, do you think we should rename the city?

No, no of course no. Isis is a fine nice name, let it be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I really hope DC doesn't succumb to changing her name, the Egyptian goddesses name and by extension the TV and comic book character inspired by her, are still to prominent and will always overshadow it in my mind. Hopefully for others at DC too!

I really blame CNN, the actual group never referred to themselves as that, the President, White House Press and those of other nations mostly used ISIL. But CNN and other media having found a catchy easy click-bait name really pushed it out there.
    Hopefully if the time comes, DC will straight up ignore what the media has done, using that name, and deny the group any connection the name of the goddess and just apologetically reclaim it and put her out there as we know and love her!

Maybe with a cool few pages of the Isis superhero completely thrashing a group of familiar-looking terrorists before they can prey upon a group of innocent people.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Maybe with a cool few pages of the Isis superhero completely thrashing a group of familiar-looking terrorists before they can prey upon a group of innocent people.

By all means, it would be great to see her take them out, and then go after the mainstream media and parrots repeating it, who are the ones tarnishing her name.

This group would sooner destroy temples dedicated in her name and honor, than ever call themselves that.

I go into nerd rage when I still hear people refer to that group as ISIS, I never have, and I hope DC doesn't surrender the name.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-16-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Typical example of a non-problem who only becomes one cause some people feel the need for it to be one.

And they don't even call themselves like that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    If a terrorist group was to call himself Seattle, do you think we should rename the city?

No, no of course no. Isis is a fine nice name, let it be that way.
    WB/DC is a multinational company. Currently if the public hears the name ISIS it's most likely going to think of the terrorist group. No company wants any of it's products to elicit images of suicide bombers and beheadings. It's not censorship it's just smart business.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Currently if the public hears the name ISIS it's most likely going to think of the terrorist group.
    In this case the public are sheeple just parroting a catchy name mainstream-media usurped and force fed them for their "business".

If it's business, DC needs to not surrender, and reclaim the name, and say the goddess- and by extension their character - will forever be known as the All Mighty ISIS!
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-16-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It's not censorship it's just smart business.
    That would be smart business to make a big deal over something like that? Really?

In all honesty, if DC was to not use Isis as a character just because of that i think most people would be quite amused by such an overeaction.