Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    Because being associated with tyranical Ancient Egypt is so much better?
    She is associated with the fantastic and awesome mythological Egypt. The same way SHAZAM is associated with Greek/Roman and other mythologies, or Thor with norse mythologies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

If DC wanted to use the character now, however, calling her something else might be a good idea.
    No that would be a bad idea, By DC changing the name now would be a complete surrender, not only to a group who doesn't even call themselves that. But to the freakin media and mindless parrots who foment it cause it's easy.
    Why give in to that?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-04-2015 at 07:43 AM.

I think all they would have to do is emphasize that she is the goddess. It should be clear through a costume anyway and the first appearance of her name could be underlined with the a phrase like "This is/I represent the Goddess Isis". After that let the people complain how they want to because those people would have complained about anything anyway.

DC did create their own version of Isis, based on the Filmation verison, in the DC series "52". [ as stated by another ]

However, I prefer her a little more in line to the Filmation version than she is right now.
    I hope she doesn't stay in limbo for a long time....as I fear she will.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    However, I prefer her a little more in line to the Filmation version than she is right now.
    Me too!

I hope she doesn't stay in limbo for a long time....as I fear she will.
    Without a Captain Marvel/Shazam book, and somewhere for Teth-Adam to appear, sadly she's not likely to show up much.
    I'm not sure what her status is post 52? What was her last appearance?

Maybe this can become the Isis appreciation thread...

Last edited by Güicho; 09-03-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Maybe they can pronounce her name differently?

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Maybe they can pronounce her name differently?
    Ice is ?

Joke aside, what they could try to do is to not make a big deal out of something nobody is going to care about.

I don't know, that could work.

Spectacular Member

She could be the villain.

Spectacular Member

Are you kidding me? Of course it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    ... what they could try to do is to not make a big deal out of something nobody is going to care about.
    I don't know, that could work.
    Exactly, by submitting to changing the name/character, or avoiding publishing the character, they are consciously saying they are giving in , to the media and its mindless parroting echo chamber, and worse to the group (who again does not even go by that name, and never would).
    Don't give them anything.
    DC needs to own it and put her out there as she is, not change a damn thing!

From another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Nubia
    Could this be our solution to the conundrum of Isis? I'm not trying to be a jerk. Seriously, could it?
    No! Needlessly consolidating or merging two great, completely unique, independent characters into one, again just to kowtow to the worst denominator, would be a terrible mistake.

That said an actual Nubia/Isis team-Up would be spectacular !

Last edited by Güicho; 12-01-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Sadly, people are this stupid!

Denver bookstore named Isis (after the Egyptian Goddes) is vandalized - http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/19/us/isi...-consequences/

More than anything I blame CNN and media for this, the group does not call themselves ISIS.
    And watch any interview/press conference with the President he always refers to them as ISIL

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Isis Books & Gifts in Denver has the misfortune of sharing its name with the terrorist group.
    CNN should have wrote...
    Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Isis Books & Gifts in Denver has the misfortune of sharing its name [WE CALL] the terrorist group .
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-01-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

CNN insistently using ISIS is just... branding, I guess. The continued dumbing down of television journalism's standards. Or, perpetual dumbness. Depending on how cynical one wants to be.

What "tyranical"? Compared to who?
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 12-01-2015 at 11:05 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Nutella recently found itself being embarrassed for denying a request to put a little girl's name on personalized bottle of their product. Because the girl's name is Isis. The parent of the child, rightly said it was wrong for them to conflate a name that has existed for 3,000 years, with an acronym for a terrorist group.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/27/nutella...e-of-her-name/

Last year Coke a Cola had put Isis on it's "Share a Coke with" campaign. Which of course, led to people freaking out, and not being able to discern a name with an acronym.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Exactly, by submitting to changing the name/character, or avoiding publishing the character, they are consciously saying they are giving in , to the media and its mindless parroting echo chamber, and worse to the group (who again does not even go by that name, and never would).
    Don't give them anything.
    DC needs to own it and put her out there as she is, not change a damn thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    CNN insistently using ISIS is just... branding, I guess. The continued dumbing down of television journalism's standards. Or, perpetual dumbness. Depending on how cynical one wants to be.
    Yup, CNN is to blame for this stupidity. And the thing is, it's not just dumb but potentially dangerous to the livelihood and safety of innocent people, as that bookstore attack Guicho posted demonstrated. The little girls being denied products and services because of their name is beyond ridiculous, but actually some of the least harmful incidents that could happen to them from the fallout. The Pagan Federation also raised a good point to Huffington Post last year but CNN and other media corps blatantly ignored their concerns: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_5514469.html

...the acronym ISIS is likely to form an inadvertent association in the minds of hearers between Sunni jihadists and followers of the goddess Isis, with the potential for harm to innocent people from a completely unrelated religion. The Fellowship of Isis, a worldwide organisation with thousands of members in many countries, and other Pagan followers of the goddess could be caught up in unintended fallout from this ill-advised choice of acronym.

Love the fact she was a chemistry teacher and archeologist.

DC needs to incorporate that back in.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Love the fact she was a chemistry teacher and archeologist.

DC needs to incorporate that back in.

I think Filmation may still own rights to the Andrea Thomas incarnation, DC had to kind of make up their own version, hence; Adrianna Tomaz.
    I wish they could just outright buy the Filmation version and merge the two.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-16-2015 at 01:00 PM.