Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Couldn't we keep the name Isis for the goddess and character (portrayed by a "goddess" on TV so many years ago) and just refer to the terrorist group as The Dead End Kids or something like that?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Hmm, The "D.E.K", simple, catchy, CNN may very well be interested by it.

BANNED

Buried, this is the weirdest thread you've ever made.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    That would be smart business to make a big deal over something like that? Really?

In all honesty, if DC was to not use Isis as a character just because of that i think most people would be quite amused by such an overeaction.
    Well, if DC lost revenue due to it, then it would be a problem. I'm not sure that would be the case, however, depending on how DC handled it.

Does anybody recall the producers of The Greatest American Hero changing the name of William Katt's character from Hinckley to something else for a while after the attempt on President Reagan's life? Now that was an overreaction!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

If a terrorist group was to call himself Seattle, do you think we should rename the city?

No, no of course no. Isis is a fine nice name, let it be that way.
    There is a history of townships changing their name in response to current events. There is a township close to me that used to be called 'Berlin' and there is another out west that was named after a French WW1 hero...who later helped create Vichy France.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    There is a history of townships changing their name in response to current events. There is a township close to me that used to be called 'Berlin' and there is another out west that was named after a French WW1 hero...who later helped create Vichy France.
    Alright, if ISIS starts a world war then DC should totally drop the name. It sounds like a reasonable decision to me.

But until then, i still think it's safe for DC to keep using the egyptian goddess as a character.

Oh and by the way, the french dude's name is Petain.

Alright, if ISIS starts a world war then DC should totally drop the name. It sounds like a reasonable decision to me.

But until then, i still think it's safe for DC to keep using the egyptian goddess as a character.

Oh and by the way, the french dude's name is Petain.
    Sounds reasonable to me
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Retired

I thought that Filmation owned the Mighty Isis character from the TV show and if DC wants to use her they have to pay a licensing fee to Filmation for her use--which is why SHOWCASE PRESENTS SHAZAM! didn't reprint her appearance in SHAZAM! No. 25 (September-October '76).

However, why DC would want to go to all that trouble to use the Filmation version I don't know. DC doesn't even use the original Captain Marvel that appeared with her on Saturday mornings. DC could just as easily create their own version of the character (perhaps associated with Hawkman in some way), since the goddess Isis as a concept is in the public domain.

And if they're worried about the name they could call her Iset or Aset or Hathor. Although, I have to admit that the Mighty Isis has a nice ring to it--but it has too many unhappy associations, unfortunately.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I certainly hope Isis will appear and be awesome in the movies.

If, however, DC/WB is worried about using the name "Isis?" Well, technically, "Isis" is the name that the Greeks gave to the Egyptian goddess in question. If they want to use the character but not her established name, they could always use her true, Egyptian name instead.

Her Egypian name was "Aset." Pronunciation: "Ah-SET."

Just a thought.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    DC could just as easily create their own version of the character ...
    They pretty much did.

Last edited by Güicho; 03-16-2015 at 04:31 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Buried, this is the weirdest thread you've ever made.
    ANYTHING to get away from the usual slate of topics (you know which ones).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    In this case the public are sheeple just parroting a catchy name mainstream-media usurped and force fed them for their "business".
    no argument there

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    WB/DC is a multinational company. Currently if the public hears the name ISIS it's most likely going to think of the terrorist group. No company wants any of it's products to elicit images of suicide bombers and beheadings. It's not censorship it's just smart business.
    It's telling your readers they are idiots who don't know anything about ancient religions or are unable to look it up. So when will Isis be renamed in the history books?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Well, last times we saw her she was deeply connected to Black Adam, who t some point was a dictator in a Middle Eastern Country and later caused World War 3, so I'd say that having Isis showing up around now would be problematic.

That said, if the terrorist guys get killed/disbanded/disapeared with/whatever, I don't think the name itself would carry the association very long.

If DC wanted to use the character now, however, calling her something else might be a good idea. (Wikipedia tells me the original pronunciation was "Aset". It's a little weird and too friendly to puns, but better pans than terrorism associations)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Well, last times we saw her she was deeply connected to Black Adam, who t some point was a dictator in a Middle Eastern Country and later caused World War 3, so I'd say that having Isis showing up around now would be problematic.

That said, if the terrorist guys get killed/disbanded/disapeared with/whatever, I don't think the name itself would carry the association very long.

If DC wanted to use the character now, however, calling her something else might be a good idea. (Wikipedia tells me the original pronunciation was "Aset". It's a little weird and too friendly to puns, but better pans than terrorism associations)
    Because being associated with tyranical Ancient Egypt is so much better?