Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

ISIL is a more appropriate name for the group, considering their territory is within both Syria and Iraq (i.e. the Levant, which is what the L in ISIL stands for).

It pisses me of no end that Archer had to change the name of their organization. Now this. Fudge those terrorists.

They could just rename ISIS using her Egyptian pronunciation - Aset.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 12-16-2015 at 12:59 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I really blame CNN, the actual group never referred to themselves as that, the President, White House Press and those of other nations mostly used ISIL. But CNN and other media having found a catchy easy click-bait name really pushed it out there.
    Have you seen American Ninja 2 and 3 with Michael Dudikoff? Have you noticed the similarities between those old videos and isis training videos? Do you know how to operate filters in Adobe After Effects?
    Anyway, Mighty Isis is not isis.

never mind ...../edit
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-16-2015 at 01:15 PM.

All-New Member

A visual aid. because I, too, feel like they keep doing a disservice to characters and ideas that enriched any childhood they influenced

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leonlord View Post

A visual aid. because I, too, feel like they keep doing a disservice to characters and ideas that enriched any childhood they influenced
    What am I watching? How can you jump off the side of a cliff into a boat and not either hurt yourself or the boat in the process? Why are the ninjas dressed in black? They are attacking in broad day light! Get some brown camo ninja outfits for god's sake!

I don't think they have to change the name. That said connecting her to Black Adam might not be a good idea if they want to avoid unfortunate implications.

Ancient Egypt seems to be used as a source of evil a lot compared to most ancient kingdoms.

I don't think they have to change the name. That said connecting her to Black Adam might not be a good idea if they want to avoid unfortunate implications.

Ancient Egypt seems to be used as a source of evil a lot compared to most ancient kingdoms.

BANNED

In this regard I have two answers:

1) Obviously DC is going to be hesitant about using anything with the name out of fear that people would think they support it. Like there was a Houston plumber who had to leave the city because his resold truck appeared in an IS video, nothing to do with him, save his company logo and name hadn't been peeled off as promised. Same story with the Isis Bookstore thats become a target for vandalismsimply because of the name. And here, a local icecream manufacturer felt the need to rename the company because they were called ISIS (note: here 'ice' is spelled 'is')

2) I'd really like to think everyone was smarter than this. And in regards to comicbooks, it's only the dumbest of people who could possibly confuse a radical islamic terrorist organisation to a scandily clad woman thats named after an ancient goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As is the case of many ancient religions, the characters that make up the bad guys are usually other peoples gods, cast as such in an effort to discredit them. Like many of the biblical demons and devils tend to be based on Babylonian entities.

I think as a superhero name, Isis is unfortunately dead. If it is even possible to revive it, I wouldn't imagine it could happen any time in the next couple of generations.

Yes, I know that Isis is the name of an ancient goddess whose existence predates the terrorist group by thousands of years. Yes, I know that the terrorist group goes by names other than the one linked to this character. Yes, I know that western media is to blame for the name Isis being the primary name by which the terrorist group is known.

Pointing out these facts on a comic book message board does squat about the connotation that the name Isis now has in American culture. What DC chooses to publish or not publish in their comics won't make a measurable bit of difference in that regard. What it will do is look bad, which is something a struggling publishing company would desperately want to avoid.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    ISIL is a more appropriate name for the group, considering their territory is within both Syria and Iraq (i.e. the Levant, which is what the L in ISIL stands for).
    That has nothing to do with appropriate. It has everything to do with the fact that they call themselves the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham in Arabic, but there is no English equivalent of the latter term. Syria or Levant are both compromises to get the meaning across with their political trade offs, also what the term means kinda changes depending on who you are asking and even the very origin of the term has been lost to the past.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 12-29-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Love the fact she was a chemistry teacher and archeologist.

DC needs to incorporate that back in.

I think Filmation may still own rights to the Andrea Thomas incarnation, DC had to kind of make up their own version, hence; Adrianna Tomaz.
    I wish they could just outright buy the Filmation version and merge the two.
    Edit for gif...

Also I think she had her own appreciation thread hear, but I can't seem to bring it up in a search?
    Anyone have the link?

[/IMG]
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-22-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That has nothing to do with appropriate. It has everything to do with the fact that they call themselves the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham in Arabic, but there is no English equivalent of the latter term. Syria or Levant are both compromises to get the meaning across with their political trade offs, also what the term means kinda changes depending on who you are asking and even the very origin of the term has been lost to the past.
    Point is the group don't call themselves ISIS, and it shouldn't matter what the media (and it's parrots) dubbed them, DC shouldn't ever surrender the name or forsake the character and hide her away because of that.
    As some in the thread sadly seem to suggest and surrender.
    To the contrary DC should own the name and unapologeticly and proudly put her out there, despite the media and any who fear offense.

If some white-power or aryan nation group started calling themselves "the Superman Group", or the media looking for a gimmick for those who mindlessly parrot them dubbed the group of white supremacist as "the Supermen", DC would be foolish to ever kowtow, surrender the name, or change their characters name, or hide their character Superman, even temporarily.
    To the contrary DC's reaction should be to put him out there even more aggressively, as a strong counter massage, and have him show why he doesn't and never will represent that.

Hiding him away cause someone is offended they have the same name, or cause they think a group now represent the same, would be a complete surrender and failure to the character. Like admitting they won, he does represent that.

Similarly why DC ever hiding the character and name ISIS (named after the goddess) , or pandering to to those thinking they better not use her or that name now, would be a similar complete surrender and failure.

This is precisely when they should most unapologetically have her out there, at her best!

Last edited by Güicho; 04-27-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Edit for gif...

Also I think she had her own appreciation thread hear, but I can't seem to bring it up in a search?
    Anyone have the link?

[/IMG]
    Is filmation still a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Is filmation still a thing?
    As a production company (animation and live action) as far as I know, no, they are defunct.
    As far as what they produced, anything licensed would have reverted back to those companies they licensed from. Justice League, Titans, SHAZAM! content, all went back to DC/WB, Star Trek back to Paramount, etc.
    Things they created on their own I think were mostly bought out (sold to) Hallmark (media)? If that's still a thing I don't know?
    Quick search suggest their catalog went to Entertainment Rights Media and then Boomerang and maybe part to DreamWorks and Universal?

Hence the rights to ISIS (the Live Action show, the cartoon, and even the right to republish the DC comics) are somewhat iffy, and DC has sense somewhat just redesigned/reinvented her.
    Although she is clearly meant to invoke the same character.

Instead of the original Andrea Thomas, she is Adrianna Tomaz and/or Zari Tomaz on Legends. (Love the take on her, and although bit of a downgrade powers and spirit wise) still like her civilian persona is kick ass, wish it would transfer to DC proper , and her and Vixen were a regular team in the DCU

Last edited by Güicho; 10-23-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Spectacular Member

She's not the only Isis affected
    Isis.jpg

Looks like now a days, Catwoman's pet cat in media is now named Roz/Rozz instead.
    RCO098.jpg