Default Greg Rucka's Version of Amazons Attack

I wasn't a member of this board prior to the reboot but I did frequent it to see threads and discussions. One of those was Rucka's proposed take on Amazons Attack. Here's what I remember from it; in this version, Diana would have been executed by the US for killing Max Lord which would have prompted the Amazons' invasion of Washington (as opposed to them being tricked into thinking Diana was being held prisoner and tortured for information). The battle would have lasted a day, probably less and the superheroes would have stayed out of it, supposedly having been angered by Diana's execution. The story would have ended with the Amazons having conquered all of America.

Now I will confess that I may be misremembering some or even most details. This info was lost after the CBR reboot and I haven't been able to find that information on Google either. If anyone can add more information to this please let me know. I'd also like to know what people would have thought about whatever it was Rucka had planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wasn't a member of this board prior to the reboot but I did frequent it to see threads and discussions. One of those was Rucka's proposed take on Amazons Attack. Here's what I remember from it; in this version, Diana would have been executed by the US for killing Max Lord which would have prompted the Amazons' invasion of Washington (as opposed to them being tricked into thinking Diana was being held prisoner and tortured for information). The battle would have lasted a day, probably less and the superheroes would have stayed out of it, supposedly having been angered by Diana's execution. The story would have ended with the Amazons having conquered all of America.

Now I will confess that I may be misremembering some or even most details. This info was lost after the CBR reboot and I haven't been able to find that information on Google either. If anyone can add more information to this please let me know. I'd also like to know what people would have thought about whatever it was Rucka had planned.
    Actually, if I remember correctly, the United States was going to invade Themyscira in Rucka's version, not the other way around.

The U.S. winds up dropping a bomb on Paradise Island and then invades and finds themselves surprised by the Amazons who were hiding underground the entire time--at which point, the Amazons rip the U.S. military to shreds.

That's the only part I remember distinctly.

No hornets?
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Actually, if I remember correctly, the United States was going to invade Themyscira in Rucka's version, not the other way around.

The U.S. winds up dropping a bomb on Paradise Island and then invades and finds themselves surprised by the Amazons who were hiding underground the entire time--at which point, the Amazons rip the U.S. military to shreds.

This sounds much more likely.

Agent Z's version is totally unworkable. (No offense.) Killing Diana? Having the Amazons conquer all of America while the other heroes just sit back and watch it happen? That can't be right. If possible, that would've been even MORE horrible than the crap storm that we got.

I know I would've preferred letting the US be the aggressors in the war. That way, everything the Amazons did would've been in their own defense, and there would've been no civilians to get slaughtered in the meantime.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post

Ugh, it is getting really tiring to see Amazon island blown up during each run
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    This sounds much more likely.

Agent Z's version is totally unworkable. (No offense.) Killing Diana? Having the Amazons conquer all of America while the other heroes just sit back and watch it happen? That can't be right. If possible, that would've been even MORE horrible than the crap storm that we got.

I know I would've preferred letting the US be the aggressors in the war. That way, everything the Amazons did would've been in their own defense, and there would've been no civilians to get slaughtered in the meantime.
    None take. Like I said, I haven't been able to retrieve the information and am relying on memory.

Extraordinary Member

As I recall the Amazons were suppose to use their lanisarian tech to protect them from the bomb after being forewarned - possibly by Steve or Etta.

Pretty sure they were not going to cause a huge number of fatalities among the invaders, just to make a point.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Meh ... I'm also pretty sick of the concept that the Amazons are this aggressive race of warrior women who would pursue a war against the world. I really miss the Golden Age concept of an enlightened society. Those Amazon's would have devised a plan to save Diana using some amazing technology or negotiated her release by showing the US Government that their actions were wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Meh ... I'm also pretty sick of the concept that the Amazons are this aggressive race of warrior women who would pursue a war against the world. I really miss the Golden Age concept of an enlightened society. Those Amazon's would have devised a plan to save Diana using some amazing technology or negotiated her release by showing the US Government that their actions were wrong
    In this version their aggression would have been more understandable. Son0fBaldwin's version also paints them as the victims which is much better than being the aggressors (from a storytelling standpoint I mean).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In this version their aggression would have been more understandable. Son0fBaldwin's version also paints them as the victims which is much better than being the aggressors (from a storytelling standpoint I mean).
    I get that, but motivations aside, it's the characterization of the Amazons as a warrior-based society that I think ultimately hurts them. I feel like we see this over and over in comics, Atlanteans (both DC and Marvel), Wakandans and Amazons are all shown as rather xenophobic/hardline societies rather than complete societies ... yet somehow they produce open minded heroic figures.

To be honest I dislike the victim characterization just as much as the aggressor characterization. IMO the Amazons are at their best when they are portrayed as a mighty nation of intellectually, spiritually and physically superior women; not simply "warrior chicks". This version of the Amazon's would be seen as an ally to the legitimate nations of the world, not a threat, if anything the Amazon's Attack storyline should be war with Kandaq or another "rogue" nation ... something the world's heroes would be much more likely to sit out of than a war with the US over Diana's mistreatment/murder.