Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 514
  1. #361
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,776

    Default

    And then there's Kenshiro who manages to combine the two into one sequence. Lifting and striking.

    Because Kenshiro is the best.



    And yes, I am aware of the irony of posting a feat for Kenshiro that isn't strictly speaking canon in a thread that has been extensively debating the notion of canon.

  2. #362
    Incredible Member buutenks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abmccray View Post
    To add to this, much of this is because of the reversal of school of thought of how strength is often displayed in shounen as compared to comics.

    To generalize as much as possible, Western comics draw from mythological heroes like Hercules that display their strength via great feats of lifting and such. Many of those comics also focus on saving people or stopping things from blowing up, etc. that require ridiculous amounts of lifting and pulling.

    On the flip side, though, their "striking" stuff rarely, rarely matches. They punch people far weaker and have less effect, when two superpowered beings fight, the collateral damage and things like shockwaves, etc. are often never around at all, etc. There are few and far between examples where their strength is depicted as displayed, but most of the time, it isn't. You can kind of see the reason - when stuff like MoS tries to depict what it would be like when two superpowered beings -really- struggle, lots of people complain and call it dark and prefer the "lighter" display of Marvel's films.

    On the other side of the equation, a lot of Eastern manga is rooted in Eastern mythology, with a lot of that being based on ki and martial arts skill, and owing a lot to wuxia theater. Instead of "lifting" strength - it becomes more about striking through more and more durable things, or being able to affect more and more powerful opponents, or the collateral actions that what happen when you use your ki/attacks. Dragon Ball has more feats than normal due to a lot being based on Journey to the West, which has a bunch of ridiculous feats of it's own.

    So, therefore, you run into a lot of conflicts there. One side has feats out of the wazoo in one area/focus, the other in the other, and it's basically two of the opposite sides of the coin meeting. People that are more used to thinking one way argue with people who think the other, and it often takes a while to come to an understanding, if ever.
    Sadly it never does.No one will say,ok i understand,dbz characters can punch that hard but they cant lift that hard.

    If people would be that understanding wars would be avoided ^^

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    And then there's Kenshiro who manages to combine the two into one sequence. Lifting and striking.

    Because Kenshiro is the best.



    And yes, I am aware of the irony of posting a feat for Kenshiro that isn't strictly speaking canon in a thread that has been extensively debating the notion of canon.
    Very cool indeed.Especially those guys expression when they see ken walking through that building like nothing.
    Last edited by buutenks; 03-20-2015 at 09:57 AM.

  3. #363
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    For DBZ, there is a school of thought that DBZ characters have a specialised defence against energy/a specialised weakness against raw brute force (depending on which way you want to argue it) because, if we accept the premise that every random ass ki blast from Sayain Piccolo on up contains power way of at least moon-busting, then it makes them being hurt by punches and kicks seem way out of place because DBZ flat out doesn't have the raw strength feats to backup them being that strong.
    This is my favorite because it could literally apply to DC Flashes and their ilk. Who have zero raw strength feats because of the nature of their powers. Yet I have in my time here never heard of anyone say their harming post crisis bricks is invalid, nor do I believe such a thing(just incase someone thinks that's what this is). Flash and Zoom in particular I've never heard of busting a moon/country or even city. Yet it is beyond any doubt they can harm DC class 100's physically.

    I just don't get it, why is their such a block with this? Is it people just can't live on a planet in which it's accepted DBZ characters can go even with or beyond DC bricks? And why is it such an issue to begin with? Lots of anime characters can beat DC bricks, why is DBZ so different to accept? Their are precedents on this board for granting high end striking power without busting feats in a given characters history. Not directed at you Nik, just saying it out loud as it were.

  4. #364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buutenks View Post
    Or 18 aftering seeing ssj trunks firing off a ki blast and exploding nearby,goes lol that is super strong,18 cant sense ki so she just went by how big the exposion was,which wasnt really that big to begin with and she found it impressive.
    Just to note she doesn't find it impressive because of its power relative to hers. (Goten/Trunks are below Freeza at that point, they're no threat to her.)

    She finds it ridiculous that they're shooting ki blasts that cause giant explosions in a public place. She wouldn't even have to sense ki to realize "oh hey it just made a big explosion those guys are idiots."

  5. #365
    Incredible Member buutenks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Just to note she doesn't find it impressive because of its power relative to hers. (Goten/Trunks are below Freeza at that point, they're no threat to her.)

    She finds it ridiculous that they're shooting ki blasts that cause giant explosions in a public place. She wouldn't even have to sense ki to realize "oh hey it just made a big explosion those guys are idiots."
    Well she states,that those 2 shrimps are incredibly powerful after seeing the explosion ^^

    Anyways i just wanted to point out that there r inconsistencies like this in the dbz manga also,where characters or the author namely forgets things that were done before ^^

    That is all,i didnt mean they cant do this or that,just dbz has their power inconsistency like any fiction.

  6. #366
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,124

    Default

    MODERATOR

    Having looked over the thread, my view on Canon is that it goes the DB Manga, the new Movies (BoG and upcoming Frieza Movie) and DBO.
    I don't see DBZ Kai as being canon at all. It's a shortened version of the anime, but that's really all it is.

    Let's let that stand as our ruling on DBZ Canon.

    Furthermore, Cody, please tone down your attitude or cease posting in the thread.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  7. #367
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    19,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    This is my favorite because it could literally apply to DC Flashes and their ilk. Who have zero raw strength feats because of the nature of their powers. Yet I have in my time here never heard of anyone say their harming post crisis bricks is invalid, nor do I believe such a thing(just incase someone thinks that's what this is). Flash and Zoom in particular I've never heard of busting a moon/country or even city. Yet it is beyond any doubt they can harm DC class 100's physically.
    Do to very specific abilities like the Infinite Mass Punch and being able to phase their brains out of their skulls, mostly.

    I just don't get it, why is their such a block with this? Is it people just can't live on a planet in which it's accepted DBZ characters can go even with or beyond DC bricks? And why is it such an issue to begin with? Lots of anime characters can beat DC bricks, why is DBZ so different to accept? Their are precedents on this board for granting high end striking power without busting feats in a given characters history. Not directed at you Nik, just saying it out loud as it were.
    Personally, I have no issue with DC characters getting torn apart.

    No.

    Issue.

    At.

    All.

    But that's not the issue here.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  8. #368
    Extraordinary Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    MODERATOR


    Furthermore, Cody, please tone down your attitude or cease posting in the thread.
    Wait what? What are you talking about? I've been completely civil throughout this entire thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

  9. #369
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Wait what? What are you talking about? I've been completely civil throughout this entire thing.
    I can view your edited posts. There was a problem with those. I respect that you edited them to be more civil, but the attitude problem is still there. Just keep it calm and civil in the future.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  10. #370
    Incredible Member buutenks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    MODERATOR

    Having looked over the thread, my view on Canon is that it goes the DB Manga, the new Movies (BoG and upcoming Frieza Movie) and DBO.
    I don't see DBZ Kai as being canon at all. It's a shortened version of the anime, but that's really all it is.

    Let's let that stand as our ruling on DBZ Canon.

    Furthermore, Cody, please tone down your attitude or cease posting in the thread.
    What is that in your avatar?A digimon,if so name please?

    Off topic:Im not very fond of BoG,while i truely enjoy the new characters and their power sets and ssj god status the movie itself isnt ground breaking so i hope Revival of F will live up to its hype.
    Last edited by buutenks; 03-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.

  11. #371
    Pro Mutant Anarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    the Trunks special,
    Eh, that special straight-up contradicts the manga (Trunks being a SSJ before Gohan died, were as he became one after he died in the special)

  12. #372
    Extraordinary Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I can view your edited posts. There was a problem with those. I respect that you edited them to be more civil, but the attitude problem is still there. Just keep it calm and civil in the future.
    That one post where I said that referring to canon as "manga version" was stupid? Since it was as it was just creating more and more confusion? There was no attitude there, just stating the obvious. I wasn't calling anyone stupid. I said it was an outdated concept. I changed it to "silly" since it was going a little to far but not once have I called someone themselves stupid.

    Considering I edited like minutes after making the post, I don't really understand the reason for calling me out on something that I changed in under 5 minutes of the post...I don't mean to be arguing with you here but come on. Getting on me for something that wasn't meant to offend anyone in particular, and was changed literally minutes after saying it doesn't make much sense to me..
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

  13. #373
    Extraordinary Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Eh, that special straight-up contradicts the manga (Trunks being a SSJ before Gohan died, were as he became one after he died in the special)
    He was an SSJ before Gohan died in the manga?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

  14. #374
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buutenks View Post
    What is that in your avatar?A digimon,if so name please?
    Kamen Rider Wizard Infinity Dragon Gold.
    http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Haruto_Soma#Styles
    Because the guy who can kick you into the sun totally needed more powerups.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  15. #375
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    That one post where I said that referring to canon as "manga version" was stupid? Since it was as it was just creating more and more confusion? There was no attitude there, just stating the obvious. I wasn't calling anyone stupid. I said it was an outdated concept. I changed it to "silly" since it was going a little to far but not once have I called someone themselves stupid.

    Considering I edited like minutes after making the post, I don't really understand the reason for calling me out on something that I changed in under 5 minutes of the post...I don't mean to be arguing with you here but come on. Getting on me for something that wasn't meant to offend anyone in particular, and was changed literally minutes after saying it doesn't make much sense to me..
    My point is, just chill a bit.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •