View Poll Results: Do you want Peter to step down as the wall crawler for ever due to being a family man?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 9.09%
  • No

76 76.77%
  • Other(still Spiderman in sme form or other)

14 14.14%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Well he was semi retired in the pages of Spider-girl and only jumping back into costume when the occasion was needed. So couldn't that work ?

BANNED

If he was a family man, yes, I'd want him to step down. Reed and Magneto are terrible father figures who have put their children through a lot of pain and suffering -- admittedly for the sake of the story, sure. Peter is a lot of things, a flaky friend, an annoying enemy, an irresponsible nephew. But a dad who can't promise to be there for his kid? No. That's just not something I'd want Peter to have to deal with on a regular basis because of his adventures. It's selfish and borders on despicable.

Now do I want him to retire? Of course not.

Hell no! Peter Parker IS Spider-Man.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ultimate Member

Not necessarily. But I'd like to see him age/mature/stabilize more. This creative rut of "bumbling immature loser" that Marvel has shackled him to isn't doing the character any favors. If you want to do more "awkward teenager" stories, then use an ACTUAL teenager like Miles. Peter can be his older, more experienced and more stable mentor.

Definitely Not!

However, if Peter does retire, I could see Silk or Spider-Gwen taking over his mantle. There could be a reason why they have the exact same origins as Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i feel that it would be true to his character- having a child would transform the essence of his responsibility and power. it would be totally irresponsible to continue web slinging rather than devote himself to building a stable home and future for his child. having your cake and eating it is a fan’s rationale not a hero’s.

that’s if it was written realistically- comics wise though, he’ll never die or be in any real danger (maybe just lose a leg) so if he’s a meta aware kinda guy he can pretty much do what he wants and may/benjy/menjy will turn out just fine.
    I adisagree. I feel it'd be more of him trying to keep his family safe from threats as a reason to continue web-swinging. You can also easily adjust the situations.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Peter could sort of retire. There was a split existence what if story decades back which had Peter and Ben alternate as spiderman.

In this case Peter could spend some time with his family and at his job and Kaine could occasionally act as spiderman or even as scarlet spider so Peter wouldn't have to go out. It might even give justification to bring back Ben as they both had the same powers and abilities and unlike Kaine who is taller and more muscular, Ben is identical save for the hair color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Well he was semi retired in the pages of Spider-girl and only jumping back into costume when the occasion was needed. So couldn't that work ?
    I feel like a semi-retired Spider-Man can work. Only stepping up against threats when he really needs to. Have him just stumble across these things. Use the Parker Luck to where he's the only one who can do anything at the moment. I also lke the idea of Kaine filling in for him. That would be a very interesting idea.

I voted "Other". Not retire permanently and but still star in the Amazing title as a father and business man juggling family life, Horizon Labs, mentorship duties to Miles and crimefighting during the more dire instances (he can appear in Avenger titles).

Miles can star in the Ultimate title set in the 616 and handle the more street level crime/high school outsider role. Of course, Peter and Miles can keep appearing in each others' books, as well as in Silk's.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I adisagree. I feel it'd be more of him trying to keep his family safe from threats as a reason to continue web-swinging. You can also easily adjust the situations.
    you absolutely can, but ultimately its contrivance to keep him swinging. it doesn't feel true. the argument can be made that he puts his family in danger through being spider-man.

not only do i believe that peter would not want to risk his child ending up fatherless (which is exactly what happened to peter himself), but putting danger aside, being spider-man is time consuming and a child would be in danger of neglect (which is the lesson to be learned from harry osborn). i feel like peter is the guy to learn from mistakes and sins of the father, rather than being doomed to repeat them.

god. the idea of leaving mj (or any mother) at even the smallest risk of raising a child solo sounds horrific to me. if i was her, i would have some deep, deep problems with him even considering it. a lot of responsible men cut back on risks when a helpless human being comes into this world that depends on them and that's just stuff like not driving and texting at the same time.

strikes me as juvenile cake-and-eat-it. people seem to want "real world growing up" and that means sacrifices rather than i can do it all! look aunt may! seven kids, a wife and i'm holding down two jobs as well as writing a blog and my instagram. that's why i am...amazing!

that being said, it's a level of bullshit that i can handle because it's superhero comic books (even if i'd rather not). if we brought real world pressures into any of their lives, most of them would have collapsed or retired by now with or without kids.
    Last edited by boots; 03-16-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    If he was a family man, yes, I'd want him to step down. Reed and Magneto are terrible father figures who have put their children through a lot of pain and suffering -- admittedly for the sake of the story, sure. Peter is a lot of things, a flaky friend, an annoying enemy, an irresponsible nephew. But a dad who can't promise to be there for his kid? No. That's just not something I'd want Peter to have to deal with on a regular basis because of his adventures. It's selfish and borders on despicable.

Now do I want him to retire? Of course not.
    pretty much this. though it might be interesting to retire the character, it'd never last.

I don't want to see Peter as a family man. Especially if it's with Mary Jane. The two don't fit together. Peter is Spider-Man of the main universe and it should stay that way. He's also young and immature (in a good way). Getting rid of those aspects would make him a completely different character.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don't want to see Peter as a family man. Especially if it's with Mary Jane. The two don't fit together. Peter is Spider-Man of the main universe and it should stay that way. He's also young and immature (in a good way). Getting rid of those aspects would make him a completely different character.
    Where were you from 1987-2007 when Peter was married to MJ? I was reading and enjoying the comics and that was my Spidey. He certainly was not a completely different character to all fans during that time.

Peter was better with MJ than he ever was with Gwen in the comics... the movies are a different story, but in the comics, the two are a compelling and beloved couple.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 03-16-2015 at 10:59 PM.

No, I want him to be Spider-Man permanently.

I want the marriage back, but I don't want Peter to stop being Spidey. No one embodies the role and what it means like he does, and I don't think he should permanently retire just because he has a family and it would provide a new and interesting conflict to have him still be Spider-Man while having to balance work, his marriage, and his daughter.

With Miles, I'd be fine with a mentor/mentee type relationship between the two where they can both be Spider-Man without one replacing the other.

The only issue is that Marvel will probably want to de-age him post-Secret War to align him with the MCU Spidey, who's probably going to be younger .

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Where were you from 1987-2007 when Peter was married to MJ? I was reading and enjoying the comics and that was my Spidey. He certainly was not a completely different character to all fans during that time.

Peter was better with MJ than he ever was with Gwen in the comics... the movies are a different story, but in the comics, the two are a compelling and beloved couple.
    I'm not talking about the movies. In my opinion they never fit and the writers changed both of the characters to make them fit. And even then, they didn't truly fit. Overall it made his life more stale.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I'm not talking about the movies. In my opinion they never fit and the writers changed both of the characters to make them fit. And even then, they didn't truly fit. Overall it made his life more stale.
    I disagree, but we just see things differently. The characters changed (ie. progressed) for the better IMO. Also, having Peter be with a wife who is NOT a perfectly fit (or match made in heaven) is perfect for someone like Spider-Man. There was a lot of drama, they are very different people, but love overcame all. It was more realistc and interesting that way.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 03-16-2015 at 11:11 PM.