Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Default Bendis......Plotter?!

I've been thinking about Bendis' run not only with the X-men but with the Avengers and I was wondering would he perhaps make for a better plotter rather than writer? He and to a lesser extent Matt Fraction have inspiring ideas their problem only comes with execution and character voices so I'm wondering if that could be a better position for him in the future. The franchises both X and A require stirring of the long-term variety and I think given his name and a lot of the concepts he's introduced and others have develop could potentially change the landscape that has been utterly lackluster lately!

I think I might be able to agree with your statements. Battle of the Atom, despite how much people hated it, had one of the best event openings I have seen in quite some time. He can definitely come up with good ideas and hooks, but he fails in the follow through, especially as he tries to stretch the middle out as far as he can manage, only to put the entire third act into a single issue.

IMO, Bendis's ideas can best be summed up with two words: Squandered potential.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know, I mean maybe he should not be plotting at all and just doing dialogue, since I cannot remember ever thinking the plot of any of his stories has ever been what could be salvaged as worth the money, on the other hand when his dialogue works it works.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I think its more the decompressed storytelling that seems to be Marvels current status quo, and has been for the last several years. Because many books seem to have this. I remember his Ultimate stories being more contained, less wordy and dragged out IMHO.

BANNED

nope, keep him far away from plotting and dialogue in our x-books plz
    he cant do neither

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    and just doing dialogue,
    LOL wha? He shouldn't be doing dialogue.

As for the OP, I feel that most of the architects are cut from the same cloth. Maybe they should just do one-shots.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    LOL wha? He shouldn't be doing dialogue.
    If he was only doing one or the other, at least bad dialogue does less damage to the characters than bad plotting.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    nope, keep him far away from plotting and dialogue in our x-books plz
    he cant do neither
    I agree sent in Xforce.

From what I've seen, the main thing he does well is setup. I'd say stick him on a new book as a co-writer for the first few issues because he can do those decently and his name will help sales, then let the other writer take over and move him on to the next new book.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

It's just if you look at his work at Marvel, it shows that he knows the history of the franchises he writes about it's just for some strange reason he makes the active choice to ignore most if not all of it for asinine reasons. However, also looking at how his concepts have been developed by others it's clear he has a knack for setup.