Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scymiral View Post
    All of a sudden, this story becomes very familiar in a very dirty way.
    No, it's still stupid. It's just that there are more groups of idiots involved than we initially thought.

Just a reminder to everyone to keep things nice and civil. Please don't lower yourselves to the level of personal insults or remarks.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Nope, but it was the last time that Jason was supposedly going to appear (and it was going to be Canon) so they needed to include something.
    Nope. You're aware that the actual decision to kill Jason was left up to the fans, right?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Wait, so they cancelled the cover...because people were threatening the people complaining about the cover? I...don't get it
    Most likely, the artist didn't want his work associated with the death threats so he has it pulled.

Mighty Member

I have personally been defending the cover, but I also espouse the fact that everyone is entitled to express an opinion. I just don't understand why when certain people disagree they feel the need to issue death threats and/or demeaning sexual insults. It's terrible, terrible, terrible. Disgusted right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    God, I hate how this harrassment continues no matter who the victim is.

Speaking of another topic, it happens with Jason and his murder.
    I'm not the biggest fan of Jason Todd but every time i see that damn crowbar I cringe. I know of a few Todd fans that are sick of seeing it as well. Its just feels so immature, and uncreative to take an old story like that and bring it up ever so often.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Again, being threatened doesn't validate their opinion nor does it mean the book should be pulled. It means some people were dicks to some other people. All of these people need to find better things to be angry about.
    I didn't say it does. This thread opens up with the notion that the cover was removed because of threats, and hence people are crying about censorship, coercion, etc. in a way to belittle and undermine the entire base of people who were against the cover. Now they need a new leg to stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by dick_wingnut View Post
    I dont ever remember it being said she was raped in Killing Joke, people just want to interpret it that way to suit their case against this cover.
    So people from yesterday time traveled to the 80s so that they could interpret the Killing Joke scene as rape? Totally makes sense.
    Last edited by Kid A; 03-16-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Yeah, wherever the threats came from, it's pathetic. No matter what. I'll gladly take back my jumped conclusion that the artist himself was threatened, as I don't know that and probably never will. But there's no justification for that whatever the side the one who is making the threats is on. You're still garbage if you do that.

That said its not a contradiction to at the same time be of the opinion that outright canceling the cover is the wrong move. I still believe that. Because there's idiots out there who share that opinion but can't express it in a manner greater than that of an ape doesn't mean I should feel the need to be ashamed of or abandon that opinion.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I didn't say it does. This thread opens up with the notion that the cover was removed because of threats, and hence people are crying about censorship, coercion, etc. in a way to belittle and undermine the entire base of people who were against the cover. Now they need a new leg to stand on.
    It was removed due to public pressure from unreasonable people.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Nope. You're aware that the actual decision to kill Jason was left up to the fans, right?
    Yes but I'm pretty sure that decision was going to be taken anyway considering that it would be pretty meaningless to make such story if that wasn't the case.

Speaking of which, who the hell makes a poll to kill a kid?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    Yeah, it makes a lot more sense, now.
    It really doesn't. If anything, you'd think DC would cave to the threats of the people threatening the people complaining. Giving the complaining party what they want makes those threats, theoretically, more real. Which is all dumb as hell. The threats should just be ignored, just like the complaints of a few people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    Not surprising at all. How much do you want to bet most of those receiving the threats were women?

There's a vocal minority of male genre fans who are terribly frightened by the influx of women and minorities who also enjoy their chosen hobbies and they have been reacting with threat of rape and violence. Gamergate is the major example.

Considering that DC is making a huge push at welcoming this new audience by publicizing the diversity of their new post-Convergence series, its only smart business for them to listen to their audience and not publish this retrograde vision of a victimized Batgirl, especially as it would only serve to drive away the audience that they are hoping to attract to the book.

No matter how hard they try ever since the new 52 came out it had been Bad Luck for DC on Batgirl.

I applauded the creative teams in Batgirl, but they were battling an uphill battle considering Babara's former Oracle status and its popularity in the comic and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Except it would never be Bruce, Dick, or Jason. That's the point.
    No. Never.

Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

With the Spider-Woman Variant, I can understand why people were offended. But this? Because it 'goes against the tone of the book?' Of course it goes against the current tone of the book-its a flashback to an earlier story, and a famous Joker story in a series of covers about the Joker. Batgirl's history hasn't always been about rainbows and happiness. Of course the cover image is terrifying, but the average episode of The Walking Dead is scarier than this. Is it because a woman is being threatened? In Death of the Family, Damian (a 10 year old) had to confront the faceless Joker, which I'd say is far more inappropriate than this. Plus, the Joker has threatened various other female characters with no controversy. I'm not sure that I get what the fuss is about. I know that it's creepy and dark, but we've seen far more gory Joker moments than this with no controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Most likely, the artist didn't want his work associated with the death threats so he has it pulled.
    Actually, this is looking more and more reasonable.