Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC Comics Cancels "Batgirl" Joker Variant at Artist's Request

The highly criticized Joker-themed variant cover for "Batgirl" #41 will not be published, at the request of the image's artist, Rafael Albuquerque.

Full article here.

Incredible Member

It's one thing to not like a cover based on whatever standards, but to issue death threats to an artist????

Some people need to get a grip on reality. Comic book characters are not people, and threatening real people over them is crossing the line....

God, we live in a world full of cry babies and whiners.

Wow, unbelievable. Nice going everyone, a great piece of artwork banned over....nothing.

"In DC's official statement on the situation, it's indicated that "threats of violence and harassment" were made following the release of the image."

.....There are no words.
    Last edited by Batknight; 03-16-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

So lame. Let's just whitewash all the character's previous canon then because it could never be brought up without some sort of defense force out to claim they're outraged about it.

Je suis Charlie, just dont bring up Barbara's past. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    Wow, unbelievable. Nice going everyone, a great piece of artwork banned over....nothing.
    what do you mean nothing?
    it's not okay for a sadistic,remorseless lunatic to be portrayed as a sadistic, remorseless lunatic on a cover
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    what do you mean nothing?
    it's not okay for a sadistic,remorseless lunatic to be portrayed as a sadistic, remorseless lunatic on a cover
    Crazy right?

BANNED

I guess the whiners have won. Such a sad fandom.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    It's one thing to not like a cover based on whatever standards, but to issue death threats to an artist????

Some people need to get a grip on reality. Comic book characters are not people, and threatening real people over them is crossing the line....
    If that's true, then couldn't it be seen as hypocritical? The very same people offended by the cover because they believe it's glorifying sexual violence(that's what I've seen people say against it so far) then in turn issue violent threats against the artist?
    Last edited by thecrimson; 03-16-2015 at 06:19 PM.

I'm glad that the people at DC reconsidered piblishing it due tithe impact of the cover.

But what's all this about death threats?

Fantastic Member

I'm tempted to print out the preview and slip it in with my bag+boarded standard cover version of the comic, though it would likely use up a whole black ink cartridge.
    Wonder what the new Joker variant will be With this one being too dark maybe the next one will be a homage to the Lady and the Tramp spaghetti eating scene.
    Last edited by zwixxx; 03-16-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I was one of those who didn't agree with the cover, but not to the point of wanting DC to cancel the cover. More importantly though, I'm pretty appalled at the thought that "fans" would issue death threats to the artist. Given this news, I would GLADLY buy the variant cover in support of the artist.

Astonishing Member

Can't say I'm happy with how this went down, and the reaction from certain elements of the fanbase has been deeply unedifying.

On the other hand, the cover was a beautiful peace of work - but one out of keeping with the tone of the book, and of the other Joker Variants. And, yes, I'm going to say it. They'd never have done it to one of their male characters.

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to post a Red Hood And The Outlaws variant with a crying Jason Todd being straddled by a Joker threatening to beat him to death with a crowbar. I haven't checked, but after hearing for the last few days about Iconic Character Moments, Joker Being A Threat and how This Isn't A Female Depiction Issue I'm certain one must exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    Crazy right?
    where's the same outrage over content in over-the-top mark millar or garth ennis books ?
    why are there still new issues of 'crossed' ?

it is crazy
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I'm glad that the people at DC reconsidered piblishing it due tithe impact of the cover.

But what's all this about death threats?
    It's news to me but apparently people sent the artist of the cover death threats over it.