Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    The actual feminists are the only ones actually doing anything for.....feminism. Sitting in your armchair and complaining about feminists while also being pro-feminism, seems like the most unproductive tactic imaginable. "No, don't complain. Feminism goals will be achieved if you just quit pushing and complaining and actually doing things."
    That would actually only be true if everybody (in any sort of movement, or under any sort of label) always adhered to the common beliefs and practices of said movements or those of the majority. Somebody who is pro-feminism should be very concerned with calling out those they perceive as bad apples or giving a bad reputation to the label or ideals. (I guess very much like how some people are calling out this particular comic cover because they view it as bad or damaging or to not fit with the current ideals or representation.)

BANNED

I don't understand why so many people are having trouble telling the difference between not liking something and being offended by it. It is an ocean of a difference.
    Nobody cares. The points going over your head. You being offended doesn't matter to everyone else. You had a choice of ignoring something and not letting it effect your life. You imposed your opinion on other people and dictated what they can and cannot consume because something offended you.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    This is further proof that, in my opinion, George Orwell's 1984 should be required high school reading. Political correctness (doublespeak in 1984) is the antithesis of freedom of speech, as is punishing people for speech you don't like. People no longer seem to know how to agree to disagree and then be friendly (or at least civil) to those with whom they disagree.
    Who's being punished in this scenario?

Your "Freedom Of Speech" is designed to keep government from silencing you.

Thinking an artist should be free to express "Whatever" is an entirely different discussion.

Superior Spider-fan Agent Scarlet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    Your point was that I forgot to mention Cameron Stewart in my post?

DC's disapproval of the actions stand regardless if I remember to correctly source another DC staff member's additional information regarding the situation. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with your replies?
    My point was that you stated DC has stated what side the threats were coming from, which they didn't.

BANNED

Why the hyperbole? This is a for-profit corporation that decided not to sell a particular cover. You can hire any artist you want to draw whatever you want (if you can persuade them to). This isn't censorship. This is a business decision.
    It is censorship, just total removal. Based on one tiny groups out cry, when they can just look away.

I doubt having one cover will really effect anything in such a huge, multimillion or billion dollar company. People just wont buy that variant (key word, variant) cover if they didnt like it.

If DC is going to mention the threats in a press release, it would only be professional to specify to whom they were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Who's being punished in this scenario?
    The artist and anyone who liked the cover.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 03-16-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Superior Spider-fan Agent Scarlet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    If DC is going to mention the threats in a press release, it would only be professional to specify to whom they were made.
    They haven't, and likely won't. It's unlikely they'll make another official statement on the matter.

This is further proof that, in my opinion, George Orwell's 1984 should be required high school reading. Political correctness (doublespeak in 1984) is the antithesis of freedom of speech, as is punishing people for speech you don't like. People no longer seem to know how to agree to disagree and then be friendly (or at least civil) to those with whom they disagree.
    Freedom of Speech ≠ Freedom of consequences. Rafa made the variant (freedom of speech) and people had a bad reaction to it (consequence of said speech). In fact telling people they can't be angry about the variant is a violation of freedom of speech. By telling someone what they can and cannot be affected by/react to, you (the general "you", not you specifically) are infringing on their rights to express their views and opinions in an open forum.

I don't get the tone arguments, those lego variants didn't fit the tone of any book I was buying.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    The artist and anyone who liked the cover.
    The artist has been paid for his work and more people have seen it online than copies that will be printed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    where's the same outrage over content in over-the-top mark millar or garth ennis books ?
    why are there still new issues of 'crossed' ?

it is crazy
    Those are not published by DC. They do not feature bright, colorful, optimistic heroes that appeal to "children of all ages."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    So much for fighting censorship and those who make threats over that which they don't agree with. Je suis Charlie...
    Perhaps you aren't familiar with actual censorship.

Comparing this incident to people being murdered is disrespectful to all parties involved.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    How sure are you from where the threats came from ?.
    People who wish to serve the causes of justice, equality, respect, and peace tend to refrain from making death threats. Kinda antithetical.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyflute View Post
    How do you know the fictional violence was a product of misogyny?
    Google "killing joke cripple the bitch"

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    And if I'm offended by your seeming need to censor what you don't like?
    Again, it would be helpful if people reacquainted themselves with the definition of censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidIsDead View Post
    Since feminism isn't an inborn quality
    This is false. We are born as feminists, and early on, a misogynistic society teaches us not to be.

Political correctness isn't doublespeak. It's about respect. For example, if someone were to call my wife or son a racial epithet, I cannot simply agree to disagree. That is an act of violence, and a threat of further violence.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-16-2015 at 11:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I don't get the tone arguments, those lego variants didn't fit the tone of any book I was buying.
    Neither does most of the Joker, Movie, Quinn or indeed any of the many variant cover themes of late match what's going on inside the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Pretty much this, in the current climate I highly doubt Heath Ledger's superb live action portrayal of Joker would be allowed sad times.
    nah, TDK had pretty alright posters.
    it's not so much the content that's getting flak

political correctness has always been around since before the days of George Orwell.
    this new phenomenon of social media is what's making it over the top..there's no middle man now
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)