Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Death threats are absolutely wrong. Period.

This isn't censorship, re-read the definition.

I think Rafael and DC made the right decision. They had all the power to ignore the complaints and release the cover, but they also have a responsibility to maintain an image; this cover ran contradictory to what and where they want to aim this new line wide direction.

Make sure the cover fits the tone and potential audience it's going for, not going for cheap shock and thrills. It was a well drawn cover, but it invoked the wrong messages. That's all.
    Agreed. I hate to think Rafael received death threats over this. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Great, crocodile tears wins the day again. These people gonna damage the medium as much as the comics code did.
    You mean the code that was in place when the industry saw it's greatest sales successes? That code?

Oh yeah, wow. Such damage.

It was an effective piece of art, but goddamn, how long is Batgirl gonna be defined by this shitty story that wasn't even about her? Even Alan Moore thinks it's crap. Makes you wonder why DC wants to continue to paint her as this eternal victim.

BANNED

Well, this is the dumbest thing ever. He's a brilliant artist, but he shouldn't let "dozens" of annoyed people bother him. It's a great cover that makes logical sense. The event is to promote the Joker, which is why he's been in control of nearly all of them. And it's not "triggering" in any way- nobody out there IS Barbara Gordon and showing parts of her history won't trigger people who've been victimized, because if they were that sensitive then they couldn't read a comic with villains anyway. There's literally nothing offensive about this and, even if there were, something being offensive to a tiny group of people is no reason to censor creativity.

The people who complained need to go outside. Seriously. There's a real world out there.

Mighty Member

Next, I think they should cancel Harley Quinn. I mean it is a book about a deranged and violent psychopath... Portraying women as psychopaths is wrong!* sarcasm
    Last edited by solletaire; 03-16-2015 at 06:52 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsGambit View Post
    No one does, but in the world we now live in. People who are "offended" or cry loud enough get their way.
    not most of the time .most of the time it is considered free publicity.

I don't get it since it is a variant. Even though I didn't like the cover because I do not really like most of the Joker variants barring the Superman one but you can't stop a cover, it is just a variant like a collectors' item. Oh well I don't agree with it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Can't say I'm happy with how this went down, and the reaction from certain elements of the fanbase has been deeply unedifying.

On the other hand, the cover was a beautiful peace of work - but one out of keeping with the tone of the book, and of the other Joker Variants. And, yes, I'm going to say it. They'd never have done it to one of their male characters.

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to post a Red Hood And The Outlaws variant with a crying Jason Todd being straddled by a Joker threatening to beat him to death with a crowbar. I haven't checked, but after hearing for the last few days about Iconic Character Moments, Joker Being A Threat and how This Isn't A Female Depiction Issue I'm certain one must exist.
    If I read this right, pretty much in agreements on all sides.

The cover was distasteful, though I'm sure not in any way Albequerque intended -- just one that highlights one of the ways in which the publisher and talent can/should be more aware of the messages they send about different genders. Had Barbara shown some signs of resisting, this might have been a non-issue.

Of course any threats to the artist are beyond the pale, and rather more shameful than the cover gaffe. That's never okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Nerds need to get it through their heads that you don't get your way with threats and violence. They should have learned that as toddlers.
    Sadly, today they did get their way through threats and violence.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    You mean the code that was in place when the industry saw it's greatest sales successes? That code?

Oh yeah, wow. Such damage.

It was an effective piece of art, but goddamn, how long is Batgirl gonna be defined by this shitty story that wasn't even about her? Even Alan Moore thinks it's crap. Makes you wonder why DC wants to continue to paint her as this eternal victim.
    Because she IS a victim of the Joker, even if she's kicked his ass since. You don't stop being a victim; being a victim just means something bad happened to you, it doesn't mean you're weak. If anything it's more disrespectful to ignore the trauma that helps define one of their most prominent female characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    For the sake of comics and entertainment media in general I hope not. We don't need a modified version of the Comics Code Authority revived in comics or in any other medium.
    Exactly. But, I guess some people want a regression.

iMan 42s

I didn't agree with it because it clashed with the tone of the book. It is a part of the characters history and seeing it brought up is fine but it seemed like it didn't belong. Regardless I would've still bought it because it is damn fine albeit dark artwork.

It for me at least was a clashing of tones but the art is still fine and it was a variant cover so it would be hard to find in the first place. I don't know what those others felt the need to send threats over this for, seeing as this is an alternative anyways. It isn't offensive it isn't sexual it highlights a dark point in Barbra' s career and WOULD fit with how she could react to the Joker especially if the timeframe was short enough.

Do I want to see her move past this? Absolutely. But the art was fine and those who caused this to get pulled via death threats, you are scum.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Sadly, today they did get their way through threats and violence.
    Seriously, I think that's the worst part of this.

They're actually being rewarded due to their actions.

Variant covers by their very design clash with the tone of the book. The Joker isn't even in the vast majority of the titles out that month.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    It's because of that code we got all those naked ladies in the '90s. The code that saw as appropriate to have Psylocks ass be shown every other panel but censored made characters say Hades and not Hell, because *hell* was a bad word. That code?
    By the 90's the Code was a colossal joke and everyone knew it and the creators at Marvel and DC kept trying to break it further and further.

That's incredibly disappointing.