Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414748495051525354 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

What a strange world we live in where those whom I suspect consider themselves the most open minded members of our society scream and pitch a fit until a piece of art is suppressed. We are all on Bizarro world now
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 03-17-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Ultimate Member

@cameronMstewart
    The cover was not seen or approved by anyone on Team Batgirl and was completely at odds with what we are doing with the comic.

That is what I have an issue with-if no one at Dc didn't see it how did it get included in official DC released stuff?

Anybody could have seen that cover was not fit for the book based on it's current theme.

It's not a bad cover.

If Dc was doing DC Heroes face their greatest fears or failures. This cover is perfect.

I bet if the artist switched the roles-you wouldn't hear complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    but I mean compared to all the possibilities you can do with Batgirl and Joker.
    Certainly no short list.

Hopefully there will be an appropriate substitution that will satisfy everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    We are all on Bizarro world now
    Heh. Totally.

'Bizarro no like Bahtgirl cover!'

(Does that mean you actually DO like it?)
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

BANNED

Confucius say: More people probably saw this cover (myself, for example) because of the outrage over it, than if it had just been released as intended.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by batfan08 View Post
    IThis whole notion of how terrible it is to remind people of The Killing Joke, as well. I feel like the people who hate it are making it out to be more important than those who like the book.
    I don't hate The Killing Joke.

But I dislike the effect it had on superhero comics. Arguably, killing supporting characters (particularly females) to make the hero "edgier" had become a cliche before TKJ, but I think TKJ is the one that upped the ante and made it so said deaths/maimings should be as graphic as possible.

After the last 12 years or so of DC never stopping wallowing in gore and shock value (Identity Crisis, etc.), TKJ has mutated from a classic comic book to a sort of original sin.

The only thing I didn't really like about Killing Joke was that horrible joke at the end.

But I dislike the effect it had on superhero comics.
    I think it's more just sign of the times than the result of that one book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Narciso View Post
    But I dislike the effect it had on superhero comics. Arguably, killing supporting characters (particularly females) to make the hero "edgier" had become a cliche before TKJ, but I think TKJ is the one that upped the ante and made it so said deaths/maimings should be as graphic as possible.
    Not to mention, Alan Moore is the kind of writer who others try to follow (ie. Watchmen's impact on the industry). So when he does this stuff in TKJ, it becomes the precedent for what other writers do in Batman comics. It's why Joker has become this awful and insufferable parody of himself.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

I was down with #changethecover

Also down with #changethedocmartens

BANNED

Not to mention, Alan Moore is the kind of writer who others try to follow (ie. Watchmen's impact on the industry). So when he does this stuff in TKJ, it becomes the precedent for what other writers do in Batman comics. It's why Joker has become this awful and insufferable parody of himself.
    You know what the irony is? Alan Moore is not that fond of The Killing Joke and he regrets what he did to Barbara Gordon.

I thought everybody enjoyed a good tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    I was down with #changethecover

This is indefensible

never #changethedocmartens!

Incredible Member

"I'm outraged by the depiction of women in wheel chairs as vengeance-seeking, gun-toting thugs! Don't ever reprint that cover!"

DC has set a bad precedent for themselves by caving so quickly to some online whining. Because people can find something to complain about every month if they're determined to look. Hell, how dare they even have a title like "Suicide Squad?" That's offensive to anyone who knows someone who committed suicide, right?

The irony is, the people who wanted the cover canceled have ensured that more people are going to actually see it because of the story. Had it just been another variant cover of another comic, it would have came and went without much fuss. I'd like to put it on a shirt and wear it at a con, just to see if anyone actually had the audacity to say something about it.
    Last edited by Jared; 03-17-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    I will always support that hashtag.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

When I say most unimaginative, I don't mean compared to the other covers (I haven't even seen most of them), but I mean compared to all the possibilities you can do with Batgirl and Joker.
    what would you have done to be more imaginative?
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 03-17-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

I started to fool around with the original cover and came up with this based on some of what a few fellow posters said. So I ask you now guys and gals, Does this change the perception you have with the effing cover?

Batgirl41_JokerVariant copy.jpg

I ask in good faith. Trust me. And I know I said before I was leaving the thread for good, but I need to know.
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.