Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclo__Pills View Post
    I started to fool around with the original cover and came up with this based on some of what a few fellow posters said. So I ask you now guys and gals, Does this change the perception you have with the effing cover?

Attachment 19461

I ask in good faith. Trust me. And I know I said before I was leaving the thread for good, but I need to know.
    That's better. I'd have no problem with that being published.

Barbara is royally pissed off and looks like she's ready to kick Joker's ass as soon as she gets free.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

I started to fool around with the original cover and came up with this based on some of what a few fellow posters said. So I ask you now guys and gals, Does this change the perception you have with the effing cover?

Attachment 19461

I ask in good faith. Trust me. And I know I said before I was leaving the thread for good, but I need to know.
    That look of frustration... utter annoyance! I love it! MUGH BETTER!! If the artist thought of this first then we wouldn't have this superfluous dilemma.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess View Post
    That look of frustration... utter annoyance! I love it! MUGH BETTER!! If the artist thought of this first then we wouldn't have this superfluous dilemma.
    I am not convinced. The criticisms I initially saw about the cover went on about a lot of things perceived to be wrong, her crying was not even something that stood out. Despite the look on her face, she is still clearly the victim of someone with a particular history with her.

Attachment 19461

That actually works for me. The expression alone makes a whole world of difference.

She doesn't look defeated or victimized, but rather seems like she's just about to kick his ass.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

The edit is better. The tears are the difference between "How is Babs going to defeat the Joker and save the day?" and "The Joker has Babs at his mercy, again." It's still not what most would call a thematically suitable cover for the tone of the series but it would certainly be more easy to defend. Having a background to provide more context to the piece would be nice as well, at least have it allude to an actual narrative of some kind that doesn't make the potential reader jump immediately to The Killing Joke.

It's still not a bad cover, just something that I'm amazed no one saw this backlash coming. Pulling it was wise.

BANNED

Did I miss something? What is wrong with the cover?

All-New Member

So, I'm a big fan of this artist. I came across this Superman Unchained Variant cover. Seems to depict a male hero in a very vulnerable post vis a vis a villain - very similar to the Batgirl cover I think. Thoughts?

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...ue_Variant.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aragoth View Post
    So, I'm a big fan of this artist. I came across this Superman Unchained Variant cover. Seems to depict a male hero in a very vulnerable post vis a vis a villain - very similar to the Batgirl cover I think. Thoughts?

Well duh, no one's going to raise a stink over that one.

Always Rakzo

He has no tears so it doesn't count.

Attachment 19461

IMO this would be better than outright pulling the Variant out
    a lil adjustment is all that's needed and this puts batgirl in a less vulnerable state

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    Did I miss something? What is wrong with the cover?
    aw man, u have to skim through 50 pages of the thread XD
    nah, the cover is a reference to killing joke, where barbara was shot and sexually assaulted by the joker
    (it was'nt a doctor light moment so i'd say it was not rape, it's still traumatizing)
    it also put batgirl in a position where they perceive it as being in a vulnerable position

personally, my opinion on is it shows joker being the sick psychopath he is.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Fantastic Member

So Streisand Effect for the win?

Superman wasn't sexually assaulted.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    He has no tears so it doesn't count.
    But he's totally under control - there's no anger, no defiance, no resistance. Same scenario.

That cover wasn't as publicized as Batgirl's, probably wasn't even solicited since I wouldn't find any other reference for it. It's the first time I've seen it and that's the only image of it I could find too. So there's that.

While the composition is very similar indeed, I guess it just doesn't have the same overtones as the other one. Superman and Parasite (I'm guessing that's him?) certainly don't have the same history as Batgirl and the Joker.

And the actual comic being written by Snyder, I assume the tone doesn't clash as much.

Always Rakzo

But he's totally under control - there's no anger, no defiance, no resistance. Same scenario.
    Yeah, I was kinda joking there based on some people who used that line.