Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    It was an effective piece of art, but goddamn, how long is Batgirl gonna be defined by this shitty story that wasn't even about her? Even Alan Moore thinks it's crap. Makes you wonder why DC wants to continue to paint her as this eternal victim.
    I don't agree with censoring the artist, but I'll 100% agree with this. "The Killing Joke" was a landmark story, but it's not Batgirl's only story and especially given the new direction of the book, not one that I'm eager to see again. When they rebooted the story, I started buying them for my 9-year-old girl, who loves it. When I saw that new cover, I blanched; no way I'm going to let my daughter read THAT. I'm glad they're going to pull it back.

Death threats are acts of terrorism. It's cruel that it's happened like this.

what i'm puzzled is..why are covers ,usually variants, getting removed while some questionable content in some books rarely get a mention..
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Seriously, I think that's the worst part of this.

They're actually being rewarded due to their actions.
    That really is the worst part. Even worse is the writer siding with those people.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I didn't agree with it because it clashed with the tone of the book. It is a part of the characters history and seeing it brought up is fine but it seemed like it didn't belong. Regardless I would've still bought it because it is damn fine albeit dark artwork.

It for me at least was a clashing of tones but the art is still fine and it was a variant cover so it would be hard to find in the first place. I don't know what those others felt the need to send threats over this for, seeing as this is an alternative anyways. It isn't offensive it isn't sexual it highlights a dark point in Barbra' s career and WOULD fit with how she could react to the Joker especially if the timeframe was short enough.
    But thing is
    1. A Variant doesn't always equal to what's in the book. Variants in my local comic book store are under the counter not on the shelves, if I can remember.
    2. With the Joker theme, you know that Batgirl will relate to 'Killing Joke' like Jason Todd would be to 'Death in the Family' and Batman will get one of several stories. If anything think before you have a theme going if you want to avoid a backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    It's because of that code we got all those naked ladies in the '90s. The code that saw as appropriate to have Psylocks ass be shown every other panel but censored made characters say Hades and not Hell, because *hell* was a bad word. That code?
    The code that was on the cover of the best selling comic book of all time, yeah. I hear it really hurt the industry.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    You mean the code that was in place when the industry saw it's greatest sales successes? That code?

Oh yeah, wow. Such damage.

It was an effective piece of art, but goddamn, how long is Batgirl gonna be defined by this shitty story that wasn't even about her? Even Alan Moore thinks it's crap. Makes you wonder why DC wants to continue to paint her as this eternal victim.
    On top of all that, the Killing Joke was not supposed to be canon. But DC said oh look money so the storyline is canon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Sadly, today they did get their way through threats and violence.
    But not everyone who had issue with the cover, resorted to threats of violence.

Let's not lump everyone in the same pile.

New idea, reverse the image. Have Barbara the one pointing the gun at the Joker with him crying with him thinking "Shouldn't someone be stopping this?"

Censorship sucks.

Making death threats to an artist just because you don't like his/her work is pathetic and evil.

Agreeing to the demands of such pathetic, evil individuals is possibly the most disturbing thing of all (because you're just encouraging them) ... Don't reward bad behaviour!

Fantastic Member

I think the "Where's the Red Hood equivalent" is a pretty edifying question, though. There are totally ways to maintain the personal relationship Barbara has with the Joker (Simone's Batgirl run had a whole arc that used that quite effectively), but that cover really isn't letting Barbara be any kind of superhero -- she's being victimized; again, try to imagine an equivalent cover with one of the male heroes. And even if you can, DC doesn't have quite the history of tone-deaf moves with male fans it does with women. There are some unfortunate sexual undertones in that cover as well, intended or not. It's not viscous, but it does seem tone-deaf and certainly out of sync with what DC seems to be trying to do (and definitely should be doing, just as decent people) as far as being more inclusive and socially aware.

I like Albequerque's art a lot, and I'm sure he meant no harm with this, but I looked that cover for about two seconds and went, "Oooof, bad call."

It sucks sucks sucks that this came to death threats though; both because that's inherently sh*tty and because I'm sure it's shut down what should have been a really open conversation about these kinds of things.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Next, I think they should cancel Harley Quinn. I mean it is a book about a deranged and violent psychopath... Portraying women as psychopaths is wrong!* sarcasm
    Don't forget her relationship with the Joker and abuse is a much bigger narrative for her character than Batgirl's getting shot and paralyzed but somehow that's not causing Harley and Joker cover being pulled.
    I guess when enough people just don't like something this will be the outcome from now on

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    what i'm puzzled is..why are covers ,usually variants, getting removed while some questionable content in some books rarely get a mention..
    I think a large majority of the people that get up in arms about stuff like this and that spiderwoman variant from last year aren't actually readers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Don't be puzzled. You're the sane one here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    He's not being the most politically-phrased in his responses, but he's right. If someone puts you in charge of a book's story, you should be able to have a pretty strong say in how it's packaged.

I have to be honest, I find the grinding of teeth from people furious that they've been denied a Dark And Gritty Cover With A Murderer Terrorising The Female Lead As He Points A Gun Between Her Legs more galling than many of the objections to it.

"Je Suis Charlie"? Vous ne comprenez pas.
    He had the gun in the hand draped over her shoulder, not between her legs. It wasn't even remotely sexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    New idea, reverse the image. Have Barbara the one pointing the gun at the Joker with him crying with him thinking "Shouldn't someone be stopping this?"
    Minus the gun, I'd be fine with it.

I've said before, it would be nice if Babs could have a triumphant moment over the Joker, on her variant cover. Catwoman's variant has Joker getting knocked out by a giant Cat-Themed Boxing-Glove.