Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Except it would never be Bruce, Dick, or Jason. That's the point.
    Word.

They also don't have a history of vaguely sexual (or at least sexualized) assault with the character. Men also don't have a history of being placed into victim roles by the medium in a way that's only recently been widely acknowledged.

So you're saying that nothing bad can be depicted happening to a woman on a comicbook cover now? Even when it references canon being used in the book last issue? That sounds awfully boring.
    I'm saying it's a bad call when you're trying to promote a character as a superhero and when your company and medium have had a history of handling women characters poorly, yeah.

Maybe in a few years when female superheroes aren't subject to this kind of rhetoric quite as much, these things will feel a little more innocent. But ... context, context, context.

And just her fighting back a bit would have changed the whole thing. So it's not even that "bad" things can't happen -- it's just that this fell into a wholly victimizing mode in a time when that's a little too close to the norm.
    Last edited by Cipher; 03-16-2015 at 07:14 PM.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrell Archer View Post
    Good. The cover depicts a superhero who is not shown as someone trying to fight back against her captor, but as a victim. If she was shown struggling, looking angry or desperate, it would have made a huge difference.
    Most sensible comment and thus I agree. While I'm no fan of the censorship, I don't like that she isn't fighting back. The art is beautiful yet tasteless in that sense. Would make more sense if it were Harley in her place (with her Stockholm Syndrome and whatnot) but not Gordon.

Regardless, I don't read Batgirl.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    If the point of all the variant covers is to show the Joker terrorizing various heroes, there's ways to do that without directly invoking Killing Joke. Why not show Batgirl fighting the Joker? What about Batgirl infected with Joker venom?
    This. If the point of the variant covers is to show the Joker terrorizing various heroes, then the variant covers would show the Joker terrorizing various heroes.

They don't.

It's looking more and more like there are certain segments of Comics Fandom that are genuinely angry that they can't get as many terrorised women on the covers of comics as they'd like. It's Dark, you see, and Dark Is Awesome.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    huh interesting. so what is DC claiming then? if there were threats, then i'd like them to clarify that statement a little more.
    it was almost certainly supporters threatening non-supporters, or vice versa.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

John stewart sucks DevilsGambit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    I got a death threat AND a dox threat over a certain other social media controversy that for the sanity of all involved here I shall not name.

There are always people like that out there. You can't let them have control. And yet, like a slippery slope, that's what's happening. Like no one in Hollywood will touch North Korea anymore after the whole fiasco with The Interview, or the Spider-Woman cover likely putting an end to the classic Jessica Drew costume, and now this. It's getting more numerous, and it's getting worse.
    Its getting worse only because these companies won't stop caving. 1% of the population will call something let say "sexist." Then 5% will defend it and say it isn't. That other 94% of the population or reader base just flat out don't care. They just want politics out of entertainment. Yet companies cave for fear that the minority of people will call them "sexist" or whatever the controversy entails. Even though no one actually thinks that. They've given power to the thin skinned and the spineless.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Just to be clear, if anyone is sending death threats, it's wrong.
    You'd be surprised at how many people don't understand that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    So you're saying that nothing bad can be depicted happening to a woman on a comicbook cover now? Even when it references canon being used in the book last issue? That sounds awfully boring.
    There's more to comics than bad things happening to women on the cover.

Or, y'know, should be.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Word.

They also don't have a history of vaguely sexual (or at least sexualized) assault with the character. Men also don't have a history of being placed into victim roles by the medium in a way that's only recently been widely acknowledged.
    Wasn't Dick Grayson raped twice?

Amazing Member

extremely disappointing that albuquerque caved into the ridiculous criticisms that people levied at the cover. some creators these days are too absorbed with social media and appeasing the "fans" on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    That's actually exactly the message this cover sends, and why so many people took umbridge with it.

^Re: above: Really glad to hear that. Hopefully he saw value in the negative reactions to this cover an chose to pull it based on solidarity with some of the complaints. Again, I don't think anyone (hopefully) imagined that he meant to cause harm with this cover; but as far as contributions to an overall scene, intentions are irrelevant.
    No it doesn't. The Joker has tormented male characters for decades, and no one says a word.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This is all setting a really bad precedent. I don't like the idea of artists being bullied into asking for their work removed, as I'm sure that's the reason he caved and requested it. He was probably getting a bunch of hate messages.
    Technically speaking, the Mimi Yoon PowerPuff Girls cover getting canceled set the bad precedent. (If not an earlier fake outrage) This is just a continuation of the practice. The days of "If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it" are apparently over. Welcome to the new era of "I don't like it, so nobody should have it."

I mean, this isn't even a case of "I can't buy this issue of Batgirl without seeing this cover I don't like." The people complaining would literally have to go out of their way to be offended.

You know what. Maybe all these perpetually offended people should come up with some kind of guideline. A code of sorts, deciding what can and can't be printed. I think that would be a great thing for the industry.
    Last edited by Teek; 03-16-2015 at 07:23 PM.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    Also better remove those three letters. Mods will remove your comment.
    Thank you, this is correct. 'SJW' is not a term we want thrown around here.

Spectacular Member

I'm looking forward to Joker's sensitivity training seminar.

Incredible Member

I pretty much agree with what people are saying here.This sets a bad precedent.If a special interest group can have a cover banned because they find said art offensive then whats stopping another from doing the same?
    Have a problem with Catwoman being Bi? Just get enough people to complain about it on social media and send death threats to the artist/writer. Because 's apparently how we solve problems theses days.

Note: Not saying that everyone who had a problem with the cover send the deaths threats Just trying to show a point here.
    Last edited by Baseman; 03-16-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Wasn't Dick Grayson raped twice?
    Hey, stop bringing facts into the debate.